Congrats to Isaiah Johnson

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, this is a function of people looking at the stat line and seeing 14 tackles rather than any indication on the quality of play. 74 and 50 yard runs were on his side. That said he was mauled and held on one.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hard to blame the Dback on those long runs. RB had to get past the Dline and linebackers too. I'm not saying he played his assignments perfect....but he had 8 solo stops a forced fumble and fumble recovery. Pretty good game IMO

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Hard to blame the Dback on those long runs. RB had to get past the Dline and linebackers too. I'm not saying he played his assignments perfect....but he had 8 solo stops a forced fumble and fumble recovery. Pretty good game IMO

I agree. IJ plays hard and makes a lot of plays with effort. Sometimes his coverage, speed, bad angles, and poor tackling are issues. I believe the current defensive scheme to help out the front 7 puts the safeties in situations where some misplays are unfortunately inevitable.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
FYI 14 tackles means he is taking better angles and getting in the right position; yes he still had a bad play or two, but he is getting better back in the flow.

the problem is your S had 14 tackles, which means you can't say the same for the above about the front 7....BUT and a big BUT....when you blitz more you have to rely on your S more so this isn't necessarily a bad thing. And, like many of us had been yelling for, Roof blitzed alot more vs Pitt than any other game this year. Alot more. He went 4 out of 6 snaps as blitzes....this is good to see Paul's vocal opinion on how you play defense change roof's playcalling.

So IJ and Golden and Smith will need to become better and better sure tacklers if we are going to employ a more aggressive blitzing scheme. Period. If our S can handle it...which IJ showed to a degree he can...then keep blitzing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So IJ and Golden and Smith will need to become better and better sure tacklers if we are going to employ a more aggressive blitzing scheme. Period. If our S can handle it...which IJ showed to a degree he can...then keep blitzing.
I'm more concerned with our safeties being in the right place at the right time than their tackling, though I'm still concerned about that, too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm more concerned with our safeties being in the right place at the right time than their tackling, though I'm still concerned about that, too.

cheese, they go hand in hand. In football being in the right place at the right time increases your tackling numbers and success, since you are in correct body position for the scheme or D called.

They are the same to me. Good tackling defenses, one big reason why, is first the scheme puts the player in the right spot, but also the player IS IN the right spot and using his body to breakdown the ball carrier. Bad tacking defenses, players are not in the right spot, they are running up to ball carriers, reaching, can't get their body into it because they are fundamentally in the wrong zip code or they personally know where they should be, they just aren't there (player error)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
cheese, they go hand in hand. In football being in the right place at the right time increases your tackling numbers and success, since you are in correct body position for the scheme or D called.

They are the same to me. Good tackling defenses, one big reason why, is first the scheme puts the player in the right spot, but also the player IS IN the right spot and using his body to breakdown the ball carrier. Bad tacking defenses, players are not in the right spot, they are running up to ball carriers, reaching, can't get their body into it because they are fundamentally in the wrong zip code or they personally know where they should be, they just aren't there (player error)
I don't think they are the same thing at all. Being in position to make a play comes first, making the play comes second. (Yes, doing a correctly makes doing b easier, of course it does.) It's like with our db's not playing the ball even though they're in position to do so, they've done a but not b.

Being in the right place at the right time is not all scheme, either. Much of it is having your eyes in the right place, making the correct read, reacting appropriately and having the athleticism to execute it. Yes, most of those things are taught, but like I said in another thread, when does accountability shift from the coaches to the players? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink. Sometimes it's the Jimmies and the Joes not doing what they are coached to do.

Honestly, I don't know which it is more of, but it's probably some of both.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
FYI 14 tackles means he is taking better angles and getting in the right position; yes he still had a bad play or two, but he is getting better back in the flow.

the problem is your S had 14 tackles, which means you can't say the same for the above about the front 7....BUT and a big BUT....when you blitz more you have to rely on your S more so this isn't necessarily a bad thing. And, like many of us had been yelling for, Roof blitzed alot more vs Pitt than any other game this year. Alot more. He went 4 out of 6 snaps as blitzes....this is good to see Paul's vocal opinion on how you play defense change roof's playcalling.

good point, you only get 14 tackles by the DL/LBs missing
funny,the worse miss of game was by IJ on that Conner 75yd run

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I don't think they are the same thing at all. Being in position to make a play comes first, making the play comes second. (Yes, doing a correctly makes doing b easier, of course it does.) It's like with our db's not playing the ball even though they're in position to do so, they've done a but not b.

Being in the right place at the right time is not all scheme, either. Much of it is having your eyes in the right place, making the correct read, reacting appropriately and having the athleticism to execute it. Yes, most of those things are taught, but like I said in another thread, when does accountability shift from the coaches to the players? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink. Sometimes it's the Jimmies and the Joes not doing what they are coached to do.

Honestly, I don't know which it is more of, but it's probably some of both.

a GOOD player can make up for a bad scheme usually --but that Syracuse def last yr was the exception maybe