Computer virus

slugboy

Staff member
If you’re more computer-savvy, you can run MalwareBytes with Windows Defender, but Defender alone is good enough for most people.

If you’re going to add something to defender, some kind of system backup is probably your best option

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of things that I do that help is I do not log on as an administrator; so if a virus gets into my computer; it has to ask permission to make changes. Also; I have two SSD's; one for programs and one for the libraries to help isolate a virus if it comes in on a document or photo. It cannot reach the programs.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The combo of setting up an admin account you don't use and windows defender is fine for the vast majority of folks. If you do a lot of browsing in seedy websites (where you are clickling links you might ought not to) there are some other options as well like a more robust antivirus or containered browsing.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The combo of setting up an admin account you don't use and windows defender is fine for the vast majority of folks. If you do a lot of browsing in seedy websites (where you are clickling links you might ought not to) there are some other options as well like a more robust antivirus or containered browsing.
I have found out my email has been hacked, Best Buy sending out technician. It is a helluva mess.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Use a layered defense.

1. Use an adblocker on your browser (uBlock Origin is what I use)
2. I use Avast anti-virus
3. use best practices about downloading things on your computer and look at the domains of where you are going (Some very clever tweaks out there)