College Football Playoff: Conference Payouts

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
ACC

$50 million base to the conference

$6 million to the conference for FSU (Rose Bowl – CFP semifinal)

$27.5 million to the conference for Georgia Tech (Orange Bowl)

Total: $83.5 million to the conference

Please note that GA Tech is bringing in over 25% of the total to the ACC, and that only the SEC is bringing in a larger total than our Conference because they have more members participating in Bowls than the ACC.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
ACC

$50 million base to the conference

$6 million to the conference for FSU (Rose Bowl – CFP semifinal)

$27.5 million to the conference for Georgia Tech (Orange Bowl)

Total: $83.5 million to the conference

Please note that GA Tech is bringing in over 25% of the total to the ACC, and that only the SEC is bringing in a larger total than our Conference because they have more members participating in Bowls than the ACC.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/
Why does the conference get 27 mil for the Orange and only 6 for the Rose?? Where the hell is all the TV revenue going for the Championship format. I don't understand. I hope some one can explain.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why does the conference get 27 mil for the Orange and only 6 for the Rose?? Where the hell is all the TV revenue going for the Championship format. I don't understand. I hope some one can explain.
$50 million base for each P5 conference, covers all playoff games. An additional payout is made per team.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
So then we only get 6 million $$ extra for making the playoffs. Interesting. How much more do we get if Free Seafood U makes it to the finals?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
$50 million base for each P5 conference, covers all playoff games. An additional payout is made per team.
So most of the TV revenue from the playoff bowls is divided equally among the power 5 conferences. The non playoff bowls payout per contract??

Do teams get any money to cover direct expenses, travel, food, hotel or do they pay costs from the conference distribution to the teams?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So most of the TV revenue from the playoff bowls is divided equally among the power 5 conferences. The non playoff bowls payout per contract??

Do teams get any money to cover direct expenses, travel, food, hotel or do they pay costs from the conference distribution to the teams?
Yes, the representing team gets a payout for expenses from the bowl and conference. My understanding is that the payout is $1.4 to 2.2 million.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Also notice how/why Miss. State was bumped up above Mich. State so they could get into the OB. That means more revenue for the $EC. Mich. State only gets $4 mil while OB gets $27 mil.