Coaching Carousel 9 - People die climbing mountains

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Just to close out the UK thing, despite hiring what most considered to be a 2nd (3rd) tier choice, UK sold out Rupp Arena for the new coach introduction and actually had to send a few thousand away. That place is just different. And what makes it different is only somewhat about the winning. It is the fans : )

This pic was from yesterday when the new coach stepped out on the stage with his ‘96 trophy he won at UK. Insane.

1713186826010.jpeg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just to close out the UK thing, despite hiring what most considered to be a 2nd (3rd) tier choice, UK sold out Rupp Arena for the new coach introduction and actually had to send a few thousand away. That place is just different. And what makes it different is only somewhat about the winning. It is the fans : )

This pic was from yesterday when the new coach stepped out on the stage with his ‘96 trophy he won at UK. Insane.

View attachment 15994

Fast forward about 8 months and half of them gonna be on WildcatSwarm.com callin for him to be fired.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 15994

That was one hell of a flex getting off that bus with the 1996 championship team leading him off and then having the trophy in hand. Whatever happens on the court that was just cool!!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Fast forward about 8 months and half of them gonna be on WildcatSwarm.com callin for him to be fired.
@Iceeater already hates the hire, but he likes to be first in line .....

For the record, as a KY resident, bleed blue sidewalk fan (GT first, always), I'm good with the hire. Rupp recruits itself, it needs a more cohesive team. Pope may not be Cal, which is good in a lot of ways, but he won't be Gillispie either, which is also good. He'll put in the work, we'll see if he can produce the results.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I get that. Seems to be the primary reason that Drew elected to stay at Baylor as well. As someone else said, these coaches are all making such incredibly high sums that the game has changed a bit. The difference between $6 million/year and $8 million/year isn't really even life changing at that point. There is a lot to be said for a bird in the hand and staying where you know you and your family are happy instead of taking a risk that possibly won't work out.

That said, in the case of Hewitt, he pretty much had to uproot his whole family a year later anyway. So I get his reasoning at the time, and hindsight is 20-20, but I still think both Tech and Hewitt would have been better off had he taken that St. John's job.
He didn't uproot his family the following year. His girls finished their school in ATL.

Edit: He went to Virginia almost immediately. Boy my memory was wiped of that who debacle.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 15994

This bottom pic looks super weird, are there AI shenanigans going on? Things are at weird angles all over the place, the banners don't seem to line up right with the pic here, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...70-Reviews-Rupp_Arena-Lexington_Kentucky.html , there's a weird overhang from the upper deck on the left side, there's a guy with a giant video camera trained on his shoulder, etc.

Photos in news articles look very crowded themselves but this particular one looks wild.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This bottom pic looks super weird, are there AI shenanigans going on? Things are at weird angles all over the place, the banners don't seem to line up right with the pic here, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...70-Reviews-Rupp_Arena-Lexington_Kentucky.html , there's a weird overhang from the upper deck on the left side, there's a guy with a giant video camera trained on his shoulder, etc.

Photos in news articles look very crowded themselves but this particular one looks wild.

Wild pic for sure, but I don't think any AI shenanigans. Here is the other angle of the same pic plus a wide-angle shot.

1713275003978.png

1713275179099.png

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wild pic for sure, but I don't think any AI shenanigans. Here is the other angle of the same pic plus a wide-angle shot.

View attachment 16004

View attachment 16006

Yeah plus nobody in the state of Kentucky knows anything about intelligence, let alone the artificial variety.

Pretty sure they all think "A.I." stands for "ain't intelligent". :sneaky:

Episode 2 Idk GIF by Big Little Lies