Clemson Offense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
To me the strong point of the Clemson game is the WR's they have

Mike Williams - 38 catches 772 yards and 4 TD's
Artavis Scott - 53 catches 624 yards and 5 TD's

The bad news is they are now expected to get back the guy they expected to be their #1 WR this year in Charone Peake.

To me the RB's are just average...they got Tyshon Dye back last week...he was the starter before the year but suffered a injury in the pre-season.

The OL is the weakness from what I see...LT Isaiah Battle is the best of the group.

Then of course add in DeShaun Watson who will be back this week.

This will be a huge test for our D...especially the secondary.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In the interview with Tyler Marcordes, he said that he's just getting back into playing shape from some injury. I think our the 3-3-5 package we're running that can capitalize on the ability of Tyler and Q to both blitz and cover and run-stop will be big. I'm hoping that if we need Kallon to play a lot of snaps that E is right about CU's OL.

I'm really beginning to feel a bit more optimistic about our D. I was really bothered by how easily NC State moved against us before the turnovers; however, I want to believe that we gained confidence and played better D more than they just lost heart. I agree that it seems we've still struggled to account for a mobile QB.

Now, I also know that an appeal to any kind of transitive property in football is suspect, but you have to start somewhere. Given our limited data set, one comparison possibly admits itself: GT held NCSU to 16 before we put in the back-ups. BC held NCSU to 14, all in the 1st quarter. Footballoutsiders has them as the #44 D, and we've been trending up the last couple weeks. So, perhaps GT's D can perform comparably to BC's D. BC allowed CU to score 17 in 13 drives. Of course, BC played CU without CU having Watson at QB. I just can't tell how much of a factor he really is. Their offense did much better against UNC and NCSU, but those defenses were markedly worse as well.

So, I'm going out on a limb a bit and saying that their O will not be that great even with key players returning. I predict that we hold them to ~23. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we'll be L'llvl. The cardinals held them to 23 in 18 drives. I'm thinking we'll do it in 11 or 12 drives, making our D like 2/3 of L'llvl.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Scoring fast or slow for us shouldn't matter especially if it's a TD on each possession. Do that - i.e. no puns and no turn overs - and we win out.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Play them like we did Miami and we have a shot. I'm thinking Clemson's D will be tougher though.

This really does line up like our Miami game. I really hope it plays out that way. I'm preparing myself for some absurd yards per play, but hope we get a couple stops or stiffen up in the red zone.

I also hope we capitalize on our possessions early and force them to change their game plan and put some pressure on a true freshman qb to keep up. Hope bobby Dodd is loud

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Us fans need to bring OUR "A" game. Get there early, make noise like we did vs Miami...loud for every damn snap our D plays. Lots of noise during the game CAN affect Clemson on O. Let's get er done guys n gals.
YELLOW!!........JACKETS!!

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I also hope we capitalize on our possessions early and force them to change their game plan and put some pressure on a true freshman qb to keep up. Hope bobby Dodd is loud

That's how we whipped them (Dabo's words) in 2011. We can do it again.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Watson, as a QB, is more physically similar, and plays more similar, to North Carolina's QB, than Miami's, if you ask me, so I'm thinking that's a better way to compare the teams on their face. On the other hand, UNC also seemed to have some potential running game in their back pocket (whether they chose to use it is irrelevant).

As far as team "speed" is concerned, I don't have a clue what's true, but I would think, based on recent recruiting trends that Clemson is probably going to have a very athletic team on both sides of the Line of Scrimmage at the skills positions. Therefore, this tells me that defensively, I think we're going to have to do something to get Watson "uncomfortable" quickly and to have our defensive backs playing tight on the Clemson receivers from the initial snap and to get them off their routes early to throw the pass patterns off as well as disrupt timing patterns.

I think it may also prove to be prudent to "shadow" Watson with a defender in the event he decides to scramble (while he is much smaller in stature than Watson, PJ Davis puts a lick on you, and he has great closing speed as well as is a sure tackler, so he might be a good option).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Watson, as a QB, is more physically similar, and plays more similar, to North Carolina's QB, than Miami's, if you ask me, so I'm thinking that's a better way to compare the teams on their face. On the other hand, UNC also seemed to have some potential running game in their back pocket (whether they chose to use it is irrelevant).

As far as team "speed" is concerned, I don't have a clue what's true, but I would think, based on recent recruiting trends that Clemson is probably going to have a very athletic team on both sides of the Line of Scrimmage at the skills positions. Therefore, this tells me that defensively, I think we're going to have to do something to get Watson "uncomfortable" quickly and to have our defensive backs playing tight on the Clemson receivers from the initial snap and to get them off their routes early to throw the pass patterns off as well as disrupt timing patterns.

I think it may also prove to be prudent to "shadow" Watson with a defender in the event he decides to scramble (while he is much smaller in stature than Watson, PJ Davis puts a lick on you, and he has great closing speed as well as is a sure tackler, so he might be a good option).

NCSt's QB Brissette is a good warm up for Deshaun Watson. Brissette actually played REALLY well against us, his WRs just didn't help him out at all dropping all those passes. Watson isn't as physically developed as Brissette, but both have great arms and can create with their legs. I think Watson is more accurate, and will have better weapons in the passing game.

My hope against Clemson is we're able to slow the game down with our running game, score on every possession (which isn't unreasonable considering what we've been doing), and hope Clemson turns it over 1-2 times so we can get ahead in the possession game if it becomes a scoring fest. If our defense can't create turnovers, I'm not confident in them making Clemson punt the ball. With an offense like ours, the other team punting the ball is as good as a turnover for us.

This will be a fun matchup even if you're not a Tech or Clemson fan. Two diverse offenses battling it out.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Watson is at about 80% from what I've heard. Need to hope for some freshman mistakes on the road in a rivalry game combined with some rust.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
if clemson's weak on OL and marginal in the running game, I see a good opportunity to come out blitz-heavy early.