Chase Roberts

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow

Happy for the guy, glad he made the most of his time at GT.

I also love football, especially GT football.

But man, did that article make anyone else here question whether playing football is worth it?

First, there's the serious am I going to permanently damage my brain question. Then, there's the do I really want to add 70 lbs of mass onto my frame & deal with that extra wear & tear associated with that? Two tough questions before we even get to the do I really want to wear all this gear in the GA summer heat with CPJ in my ear question.

Respect to Chase & the rest of the team. Here's to their health this season & their well-being the next 50 years.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Actually, it's one of our main selling points.

True dat! And that's why I like to point out real examples of how Tech helps guys out if/when football doesn't work out.

It's not just theoretical. Real life examples are powerful--Tech can and does brighten the futures of it's students. Of course the individual needs to do their part too, though Tech demands a student's best.

I think it's important to note in Chase's situation how Tech's connections to the business community can lead to terrific life opportunities as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
True dat! And that's why I like to point out real examples of how Tech helps guys out if/when football doesn't work out.

It's not just theoretical. Real life examples are powerful--Tech can and does brighten the futures of it's students. Of course the individual needs to do their part too, though Tech demands a student's best.

I think it's important to note in Chase's situation how Tech's connections to the business community can lead to terrific life opportunities as well.
I agree, but unfortunately the message, all to often, falls on deaf ears. Guys who already have a high value on education hear the message while guys who don't, do not. Most blue chip guys fall into that second category and also think the injury bug will never bite them. Worse, they think they have a yellow brick road to the NFL just because they were the BMOC in high school.

Nonetheless, we should promote these stories and others that magnify the importance of education. High profile athletes coming back to finish their degrees is another powerful message. Guys like Calvin Johnson can help that immensely.