Charlie Thomas getting some draft love on ESPN+

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Worked pretty well for CJP’s first 3 years. Lots of NFL talent on those teams. A couple of first round picks as well. It’s not a false metric. It is an indicator of a team’s potential. More so now than 20 years ago and getting even more of a sound metric.

You can be a good team without NFL talent but you won’t win any Conference Championship without several NFL future players any more.
Since 2000, we have had the most players drafted in a single draft was in 2004 (5) when we went 7-5, and had gone 7-6 the two years prior.

We had 1 player drafted following the 2016 9-4 season.

We had 3 players drafted following the 2014 11-3 season. We also had 3 players drafted following the 2013 season 7-6 season.

We had 4 players drafted following the 2008 9-4 season, and 4 drafted following the 2009 11-3 season.

We had 2 players drafted following the 2006 9-5 season. We also had 2 players drafted following the 2015 3-9 season and the 2021 3-9 season.

We had 0 players drafted following the 2000 9-3 season.

We had 3 players drafted following the 1998 10-2 season. We also had 3 players drafted following the 2007 7-6 season and 2005 7-5 season.

We had 2 players drafted following the 1990 NC season. We had 3 players drafted following the 1994 1-10 season.

We had 3 players drafted following the 1985 9-2 season. We also had 3 players drafted following the 1983 3-8 season.

Our 2nd most draft picks ever was 9 following the 1945 season. We went 4-6.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And that would be to a much smaller Pro roster, I'm guessing. I didn't know that either. Of course, all 8 of them combined almost assuredly made less in today's $ than the lowest drafted player in 2021...
Picked a random year to check, 1954, since it was in the “heyday” of the 50s, and saw that there were 30 NFL draft rounds that year. Tech had 9 players drafted:

3rd round Henry Hair - end
7th round Glenn Turner - back
9th round Dave Davis - end
13th round Sam Hensley - end
15th round Ed Gossage - tackle
16th round Roger Frey - tackle
19th round Frank Givens - tackle
25th round Pepper Rodgers - back
27th round Bill Sennett - end

These were all great college players, including an undefeated season and a National Championship. Most of these never actually played in the pros but getting drafted shows they were highly thought of in college, making All American and other awards.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Picked a random year to check, 1954, since it was in the “heyday” of the 50s, and saw that there were 30 NFL draft rounds that year. Tech had 9 players drafted:

3rd round Henry Hair - end
7th round Glenn Turner - back
9th round Dave Davis - end
13th round Sam Hensley - end
15th round Ed Gossage - tackle
16th round Roger Frey - tackle
19th round Frank Givens - tackle
25th round Pepper Rodgers - back
27th round Bill Sennett - end

These were all great college players, including an undefeated season and a National Championship. Most of these never actually played in the pros but getting drafted shows they were highly thought of in college, making All American and other awards.

There were fewer teams and more rounds. Rosters I believe were slightly bigger then as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No. My understanding was your post said we'd never sent 8 players to the NFL in a draft year. We've done it twice. Once in the 40's and once in the 50's.
Yeah, we were talking past each other. I was using the example that was given in the reply to me about Alabama and Georgia and thinking that was not a good standard (sending 8 players to the pros each year consistently) since that has never been Tech’s history.