CDS Contract Details

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I would bet a large part of that is seat fees/required contributions to buy seats at the cesspool. Doesn't make it any less real but helps to understand where it comes from.
In UGA's, the contributions do include premium ticket sales. They have $37M in ticket sales + $74M in contributions (which includes ticket fees above face value), so a total of $111M.

Tech accounts for those ticket premiums in "Event Related" revenue from Premium Leases fees, which means $12.3M from ticket sales, $6.9M from contributions and $9.6M from premium lease fees. Total up to $28.8M. So the difference in ticket sales and contributions is ~$81M per annum.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at the amount of money the AA collects in donations (FY22: $6.9M). Then look at what UGA collects in donations (FY22: $74.3M). The difference is something like $70M per year. This is much more than the conference/media rights (GT: ~$37.5M vs UGA: ~$53M).

GT Link: https://finance.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/2022-10/GTAA_Financial_Statements-6-30-2022.pdf
UGA Link: https://georgiadogs.com/documents/2023/2/8/2021-22_Reporting_Year.pdf
wow - i knew it was bad but didn't know that bad of a difference

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Note its not just contributions.
GT had $12.3M in ticket sales (across all sports), UGA had $37.1M

This is what you see at the really large universities. You would see this at an Ohio St or Michigan.

Or even take my dad's alma mater for instance - Wisconsin.
They had $38.1M in ticket sales. Now they only had $7M in donations. So while donations were in line, their ticket sales dwarf what we can produce.

Ohio State's AD said previously they will make over $100M in revenue from their home football games.

So even if you get into a conference with a higher media payout, you are going to be way behind in terms of other revenue sources, especially tickets sales.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

This is what you see at the really large universities. You would see this at an Ohio St or Michigan.

They had $38.1M in ticket sales. Now they only had $7M in donations. So while donations were in line, their ticket sales dwarf what we can produce.

Ohio State's AD said previously they will make over $100M in revenue from their home football games.

So even if you get into a conference with a higher media payout, you are going to be way behind in terms of other revenue sources, especially tickets sales.
All of this is true. But, you also have to look at how many teams each is supporting. There is a deficit, for sure. But, it's not as bad as the raw numbers make it look.

I believe we have 17 varsity teams and Ohio State has 36 varsity teams. Wisconsin has 23. uga has 21.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

The swings in categories are due to a lack of accounting standards. All of the schools put different stuff in different buckets. The totals are all that really matter.