Candid Coaches: Who would you want your son to play for

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I like that someone finally published an article stating what we all know about Calipari sending kids to the NBA. Derrick Rose is still an MVP caliber point guard coming into the league with me coaching him in college.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I like that someone finally published an article stating what we all know about Calipari sending kids to the NBA. Derrick Rose is still an MVP caliber point guard coming into the league with me coaching him in college.

FWIW, I think Cal is objectively better at putting kids into the NBA than other coaches are with comparable talent. Look at the same "one-and-done" caliber 5-star players that have recently gone to Kansas, UNC, UCLA, etc., and I think it is clear that Cal does a better job getting them exposure and drafted after one year than other coaches (with K being the only possible exception). And, to be fair, I am not sure many scouts thought guys like Eric Bledsoe, Devin Booker, James Young and Archie Goodwin were one-and-done caliber players before they went to Kentucky. (or that 5'10'' Tyler Ulis was a two-and-done player; or that juco transfer Josh Harrellson would get drafted after one year under Cal, etc.). That list right there, without even considering the "sure fire" guys, is probably as big as the list of just about any other coach in the country over the same time period, with the exception of K. Add on top of that his only real "bust" at Kentucky has been Skal Labissiere, who was still drafted in the first round after one year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
My uncle is good friends with Izzo. I've meet him dozens of times. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I cannot say a single bad thing about him his staff or his program. I'm by no means a State fan but I'd have my son play for him in a heartbeat as long as GT hadn't offered.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My uncle is good friends with Izzo. I've meet him dozens of times. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I cannot say a single bad thing about him his staff or his program. I'm by no means a State fan but I'd have my son play for him in a heartbeat as long as GT hadn't offered.

I can say a bad thing about his coaching tree. :whistle:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I think Cal is objectively better at putting kids into the NBA than other coaches are with comparable talent. Look at the same "one-and-done" caliber 5-star players that have recently gone to Kansas, UNC, UCLA, etc., and I think it is clear that Cal does a better job getting them exposure and drafted after one year than other coaches (with K being the only possible exception). And, to be fair, I am not sure many scouts thought guys like Eric Bledsoe, Devin Booker, James Young and Archie Goodwin were one-and-done caliber players before they went to Kentucky. (or that 5'10'' Tyler Ulis was a two-and-done player; or that juco transfer Josh Harrellson would get drafted after one year under Cal, etc.). That list right there, without even considering the "sure fire" guys, is probably as big as the list of just about any other coach in the country over the same time period, with the exception of K. Add on top of that his only real "bust" at Kentucky has been Skal Labissiere, who was still drafted in the first round after one year.

I still. Don't think Young and Goodwin were OAD caliber players. Daniel Orton, Teague, another off guard from the 6 man crew that left together whose name escapes me. The Harrison twins. Just because guys are getting drafted does that mean Cal is doing a good job putting guys in the NBA? Sure. Are they all succeeding? Eh I'd say the % remains the same when compared to other schools, there are just more of his players being drafted.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I still. Don't think Young and Goodwin were OAD caliber players. Daniel Orton, Teague, another off guard from the 6 man crew that left together whose name escapes me. The Harrison twins. Just because guys are getting drafted does that mean Cal is doing a good job putting guys in the NBA? Sure. Are they all succeeding? Eh I'd say the % remains the same when compared to other schools, there are just more of his players being drafted.

So long as they are being drafted in the first round (meaning a 2yr guaranteed contract minimum), he is absolutely doing his job of putting kids in a position to succeed. And, as a college coach, that is really about all one can ask.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So long as they are being drafted in the first round (meaning a 2yr guaranteed contract minimum), he is absolutely doing his job of putting kids in a position to succeed. And, as a college coach, that is really about all one can ask.

I agree getting them drafted is a win. But the overall career is not better (or worse) once get there than any other school. There is just a greater volume of players