Can someone tell us how Georgia State

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
ended up with Braves field? What I'm really asking is the finances, did they out and out purchase, was it a gift and if so who made the gift etc.?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think they paid for some of it, some was a gift and when they got it, there were plans in place for them to add the student housing components and the retail components to use all/most of the space. They were the most likely best user of the space for a variety of reasons (proximity to campus, need for a stadium of their own, mission to help bring more people and beds to downtown, etc.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Someone told me they thought they swapped some property or assets for it, don't know that this is right or not. Did any governments city, state county contribute in any way?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone told me they thought they swapped some property or assets for it, don't know that this is right or not. Did any governments city, state county contribute in any way?
Pretty sure Atlanta Fulton County Recreation Authority owned Turner Field. GaSt. bought the land from the city of atlanta.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Has the city, state, or county financed any of their facilities? Who originally owned Braves stadium? Was it given to GA State? Or is owned by something other than GA State and GA State just uses it? There were changes made to the stadium for FB, who paid for all that? Lots of questions, just never understood the whole deal. Where did GA State get the money for it all if they in fact ended up paying for it all?
I don't have any questions as to whether it was put to good use, think it was a natural good use, I'm just trying to understand the whole financial affair side of it.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Has the city, state, or county financed any of their facilities? Who originally owned Braves stadium? Was it given to GA State? Or is owned by something other than GA State and GA State just uses it? There were changes made to the stadium for FB, who paid for all that? Lots of questions, just never understood the whole deal. Where did GA State get the money for it all if they in fact ended up paying for it all?
I don't have any questions as to whether it was put to good use, think it was a natural good use, I'm just trying to understand the whole financial affair side of it.
Atlanta Fulton County Recreation Authority owned turner field before sellng to Ga St

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't understand how they financed a new basketball arena. Do they have that kind of donors?

They received a ton of state money and pass it off as a "multi purpose convocation center." It was well overdue. For the numbers they have enrolled their facilities were grossly outdated and undersized. City of Atlanta losing the Braves cash cow might have been the best thing that could have happened to that corner of downtown.