Article Blaylock is Going Pro

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I thank for his service to us and wish him luck but I think he ought to pad his resume with another year with us.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
I thank for his service to us and wish him luck but I think he ought to pad his resume with another year with us.
Not trying to say anything discouraging about Blalock, but in this decision, imo, feels like he might have some more competition for snaps next season and he’s coming off a career year.

I’ve had Leo Blackburn’s return in my mind for a while. I think the best WR on our roster didn’t play a snap last year.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to say anything discouraging about Blalock, but in this decision, imo, feels like he might have some more competition for snaps next season and he’s coming off a career year.

I’ve had Leo Blackburn’s return in my mind for a while. I think the best WR on our roster didn’t play a snap last year.
Potential and metrics don’t make a great player; actually making great plays makes a great player and one cannot do that without being in the field.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Potential and metrics don’t make a great player; actually making great plays makes a great player and one cannot do that without being in the field.
He’s had too many injuries to risk another season of college football. Especially when his last season of college football would have him as the #3 WR at best. Think about this from a quality of life perspective as well as a personal career goal perspective.

If I’m him, and I know my injury history, I’d rather risk a career-ending injury happening as an UDFA in minicamp tryouts than in practice as a GT WR. At least in this case, he can say he took his career as far as he could. Everyone, including him, knows he’s not gonna put up some crazy stats next year and get drafted. He’s gonna be an UDFA regardless. Why not do it now when you’re healthy and a year younger and have already been in college for 5 years. A 6th year in college as the #3 or #4 GT WR probably won’t do much for his pro prospects and could actually cause him to not get a shot at all if he gets hurt again. This decision makes so much sense to me. He’s not going to get better at GT next year, his skills are maximized in college. And we have too many weapons for anyone to expect him to put up stats next year. He’s a former 5* who had 5 TDs and was uga’s punt returner as a true freshman. He needs to show he’s healthy and he’ll get an UDFA minicamp invite.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He’s had too many injuries to risk another season of college football. Especially when his last season of college football would have him as the #3 WR at best. Think about this from a quality of life perspective as well as a personal career goal perspective.

If I’m him, and I know my injury history, I’d rather risk a career-ending injury happening as an UDFA in minicamp tryouts than in practice as a GT WR. At least in this case, he can say he took his career as far as he could. Everyone, including him, knows he’s not gonna put up some crazy stats next year and get drafted. He’s gonna be an UDFA regardless. Why not do it now when you’re healthy and a year younger and have already been in college for 5 years. A 6th year in college as the #3 or #4 GT WR probably won’t do much for his pro prospects and could actually cause him to not get a shot at all if he gets hurt again. This decision makes so much sense to me. He’s not going to get better at GT next year, his skills are maximized in college. And we have too many weapons for anyone to expect him to put up stats next year. He’s a former 5* who had 5 TDs and was uga’s punt returner as a true freshman. He needs to show he’s healthy and he’ll get an UDFA minicamp invite.
Incredibly well said!!! 💯

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

He's seen a few injuries in college or maybe more than a few. Regardless, the injuries may come more frequently and to a greater extent in the next life. It may be worth considering to show more at this level before attempting the next level where the degree of skill separation will undoubtedly be greater especially considering he's #3 here.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It may be worth considering to show more at this level before attempting the next level where the degree of skill separation will undoubtedly be greater especially considering he's #3 here.
Yes but my point is, he’s not really in a situation where he can show more in college. And the opportunity cost of never getting a chance at the next level is greater than the benefit of the stats he’ll put up as the #3 (at best) WR at an above average FBS program.

I truly don’t see it being a logical decision for him to stay another year, and the posters laughing about it aren’t really putting themselves in his shoes and clearly haven't been in this situation themselves (or had someone close to them in a similar situation). Or they’d get it. But I will not claim my logic and his decision are infallible either.