Blast From The Past - 24 Years Ago GT vs UVA

WAGA TV 5 footage from November 3, 1990.

Link

Enjoy the memory.

Yes, that never gets old. No wonder Virginia still has an axe to grind. Unlike our storied tradition, Virginia had no past history of football excellence. They ascended to No. 1 in the nation for the first and only time, just the week before this game. Then poof! Gone forever. This game fuels them to this day. We need to buckle up tomorrow.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Was at that game... 26 years old, three years after Ma Tech... Greatest GT football experience of my life... Was there with my mom, who went to the epic Alabama game in the 60's that was 7-6 or something like that - she said this was better...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Was at that game... 26 years old, three years after Ma Tech... Greatest GT football experience of my life... Was there with my mom, who went to the epic Alabama game in the 60's that was 7-6 or something like that - she said this was better...

I was there too, 3 yrs after tech with a uva alumna going back for homecoming. Enjoyed the win surrounded by wahoos

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Still have no idea why Mike Francesa had anything to do with this and why CBS trotted him out for their college football stuff.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That game is a marvelous memory for me. I was attending the wedding of my best friend and his wife (a UVA grad) in D.C. It was an afternoon wedding and during the reception at the Army Club, I would wonder into the bar every now and then. All the bridesmaids were in there watching the game, much to brides chagrin! Every time I wondered into the bar during the first half, GT scored within a play or two after falling behind by two scores. I kept telling these young ladies that GT was gonna win the game and they should prepare for the inevitable. I had to leave the reception at half to catch the train back to ATL and had no idea who finally won until reaching ATL and talking to a bunch of GT fans that got on the train in Charlottesville for the return trip. Probably just as well I wasn't at the reception when the game ended - those young ladies probably would have kicked my ***. I am happy to report that the oldest son (my godson) of that couple is at GT now working on his degree.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think UVA scored every possession in the 1st half. I was a good sport when the wahoo behind me kept saying, for my benefit, "Whoops another touchdown." I kept cheering, "Go Jackets!" etc.

Needless too say, in the 2nd half, I was saying, "Whoops another touchdown!"

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I had to work that Saturday. It was on in the TV in our office but I sat an otherwise unoccupied desk that did not have a view of the screen, because I was taping at home.
I got home, popped in the tape, cussed like sailor for a half and at halftime decided to take a little break and ... stumbled across the final score. Started watching the rest of the game gleefully after that.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Best GT game I have ever seen on the tube. The most remarkable thing about that clip awbuzz posted is that WAGA covered it like they did. GT might as well be in Birmingham they way we get covered now.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Best GT game I have ever seen on the tube. The most remarkable thing about that clip awbuzz posted is that WAGA covered it like they did. GT might as well be in Birmingham they way we get covered now.
Bah. When we are the undefeated and ranked #13 and beat the #1 team in the country, they'll cover us again like that. Let's not blame our television coverage on the networks when we aren't playing at that level.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you Calvin Tiggle. This game still LIVES...The keystone to the 1990 national championship for Georgia Tech. Let's do it again in 2015!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I went deer hunting that afternoon with my dad and brother. Remember that day like all the other big life events, good and bad. I'm almost glad I didn't watch, we might have lost.