Best Players by Decade Top 10

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

These men are representative of the Glory Days of GT. Tech had it all in those years. We had the best Academics and the Best Football. Even though much different type schools, GT was often compared to Notre Dame as having the best of both worlds in Football and Academics.

The "Glow" of Georgia Tech was maintained until Coach Dodd retired.

It has always been my hope since 1967 when I graduated that conditions will change in a way that will favor GT and we can return to those days.

I hope our new "ALIGNMENT" at GT will result in a move in that direction.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Curious as to how many folks actually are willing to pay for information, or pay to have someone write up information, versus expecting somebody else to pay to have somebody provide information.
If you're not willing to pay anything, then wait till it becomes available to the public for free.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Curious as to how many folks actually are willing to pay for information, or pay to have someone write up information, versus expecting somebody else to pay to have somebody provide information.
If you're not willing to pay anything, then wait till it becomes available to the public for free.
If you watch the press conferences every day they have them (usually about 20 minutes of your life), you have every bit of information, including the straight quotes, that are used by the AJC (and other outlets) to write these articles. Articles like the best players from each decade are the exceptions because they're not about the "right now."

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
BTW, if the board wants me to stop posting these AJC articles, just let me know. There have been some complaints.
No complaints about you or your posts, 57. You’re just linking to Tech articles. It’s frustration with the AJC that you’re hearing. No need for you to stop posting.

ETA: IMPO, access to information ought to be free. If the compiler wants to monetize it that’s fine, just sell space ads on the page. But newspapers have been “selling” news for a long time. Spit, meet wind.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
BTW, if the board wants me to stop posting these AJC articles, just let me know. There have been some complaints.
Haters gonna hate.

As tight as I am with a buck, I am willing to pay to make sure that we keep journalism alive, at least some of it. I want more than just tick tock and random BS information as my news.

For those who do not want to pay, they can simply wait until it becomes available for free.
Or, maybe they could provide some insight or articles that are not behind the paywall.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No complaints about you or your posts, 57. You’re just linking to Tech articles. It’s frustration with the AJC that you’re hearing. No need for you to stop posting.
Maybe I should have added it to my above post, that if more people actually purchased the AJC, they could hire more writers, including sports writers that could write about GT more in depth. Just a thought...

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
My list based on some combo of impact to team and current draftability…

1) Singleton
2) Haynes
3) King
4) Franklin
5) Birr
6) Biggers
7) Brooks
8) Williams
9) Harris
10) Harvey

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t have a dog in this hunt but it seems odd to link information from ajc or other paywall sites. The people who pay for that stuff have probably already seen it and those that don’t pay (me) still can’t see it. While I love GT sports there is nothing newsworthy enough for me to pay for it. If we sign a top recruit or whatever I don’t mind finding out about a few hours or a day later than everyone else. This isn’t the stock market. As far as opinion pieces are concerned I don’t find the so called experts to be anymore informative than many ( not all) posters here.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
if there's a time period of GT football that I wish I could have been around for it's undoubtedly this. Sure, we've had other periods of great success. But no time was Tech as consistent of a winner than the 50's. Also this was most definitely the peak of Atlanta's interest about us as there was no pro sports back then, so we were THE game in town.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
if there's a time period of GT football that I wish I could have been around for it's undoubtedly this. Sure, we've had other periods of great success. But no time was Tech as consistent of a winner than the 50's. Also this was most definitely the peak of Atlanta's interest about us as there was no pro sports back then, so we were THE game in town.
Yeah, I was in school 53-57. It was great.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Doesn't bother me at all. I can't read them, but I can glean something from them by the comments. BTW, who were the ten?
The first run through was for players from the 1950s.
They will do one for each decade..
Maxie Baughan
Ray Beck
Franklin Brooks
Pete Brown
Leon Hardeman
Buck Martin
Hal Miller
George Morris
Larry Morris
Don Stephenson

Last edited: