Best player that never quite...........made it

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Any sport doesn't matter.

I pulled out and old slam mag the other day and made me think a bit.

Cory Hightower was probably the best basketball player I ever watched play that just never made it to the league (or the NCAA for that matter).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I thought Lewis Clinch was gonna be a beast. Like good enough for the NBA beast, just never really materialized.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Through no fault of his own, Donnie Davis. #2 overall QB recruit in the nation who came in to play under the tutelage of Ralph Friedgen, but got Bill Lewis instead. Saw some of his potential his senior season under O'Leary, but by that time his time was about up. Davis was probably a generation too early for his time. Dude would be a monster in the spread offenses of this era.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we want to go back to the Donnie Davis area, we can put Derrick Steagall in that conversation. Knee injuries derailed him, but he supposedly used to run a 4.2 way back when. Nice guy though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If we want to go back to the Donnie Davis area, we can put Derrick Steagall in that conversation. Knee injuries derailed him, but he supposedly used to run a 4.2 way back when. Nice guy though.

Absolutely right. After all the knee stuff he still had time in the NFL. Seahawks IIRC.

Another GT-related one I remember is Dion Glover. Cedar Grove played our HS one night and we all went to see him play. Dude was an absolute BEAST. I was completely shocked he didn't do much in the NBA.

A non-GT one I recall is Dontonio Wingfield. Best HS basketball player I ever saw in the state (including Shareef, Favors, Howard, etc.). His talent level was only matched by his immense ego/attitude. Never could stay around long enough to take advantage of his talent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I remember Steagall against FSU...when FSU was "FSU"...and he was running by their defenders like they were stuck in sand.

Just looked up his bio on RW, said he ran a 10.47...in high school!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely right. After all the knee stuff he still had time in the NFL. Seahawks IIRC.

Another GT-related one I remember is Dion Glover. Cedar Grove played our HS one night and we all went to see him play. Dude was an absolute BEAST. I was completely shocked he didn't do much in the NBA.

A non-GT one I recall is Dontonio Wingfield. Best HS basketball player I ever saw in the state (including Shareef, Favors, Howard, etc.). His talent level was only matched by his immense ego/attitude. Never could stay around long enough to take advantage of his talent.
I remember Wingfield. Went to Cincy, right?

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
Tony Hollings ... Chan found a Beast when they switched him to RB. Looked like AP out there for 4-5 games. Got hurt, never made it back. Might have been the best RB statistically in GT history had he kept his pace. 160 YPG

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Dudish..........most hyped athlete in years.Played as a soph and then it was over due to personal problems.He could do it all and glad to see he got his life straightened out.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Dudish..........most hyped athlete in years.Played as a soph and then it was over due to personal problems.He could do it all and glad to see he got his life straightened out.
I was a young un then, but remember it well. Supposedly the best HS player that year. Also Michael Jolley, QB from Macon. Hobie Holliday, DL from Warner Robins I believe. Gosh, we have had a ton of them.