Away Game Travelers?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've been to quite a few road games over the years. A couple per season since I got out in 1990.

Until today... I've never seen no band, no Buzz, & no cheerleaders for a road game. Before this... I wouldn’t have thought it mattered much to me. But didn't hear the fight song once today. Glad we got the win (obviously) but a little empty too ... to be honest. 😕

Until it's gone... you don't realize how much you care.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
There were about 8-10 band members that had instruments and were warming up outside gate 2 before they opened. They clearly didn’t bring instruments in, but they were able to get the visiting section cheering and singing.

In most of my years going to the UNC game, they would sit the band in the upper deck above the visiting section. Definitely missed it. Not having buzz was also a shame. However, I didn’t see the unc mascot either. 12 noon games are different. Half of the unc fans didn’t pile in until after our first drive and the other half left at the beginning of the 4th.

Our visiting section was great though.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There were about 8-10 band members that had instruments and were warming up outside gate 2 before they opened. They clearly didn’t bring instruments in, but they were able to get the visiting section cheering and singing.

In most of my years going to the UNC game, they would sit the band in the upper deck above the visiting section. Definitely missed it. Not having buzz was also a shame. However, I didn’t see the unc mascot either. 12 noon games are different. Half of the unc fans didn’t pile in until after our first drive and the other half left at the beginning of the 4th.

The UNC guy was out in the first quarter but defintiely did head back. He was replaced doign pushups by one of the male cheerleaders. Might have just been to hot

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
I seem to remember someone saying that the band used up most of their budget going to Ireland and that they would not be at all the road games this year.
Athletics cut the band budget almost 40% this year, along with other AA department cuts. While there was some crossover/impact, Ireland was largely covered by the game hosts, over a year and a half of separate fundraising, and the band students themselves.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow

Exactly where we should stick the opposing band at BDS

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Athletics cut the band budget almost 40% this year, along with other AA department cuts. While there was some crossover/impact, Ireland was largely covered by the game hosts, over a year and a half of separate fundraising, and the band students themselves.
It seems self defeating to cut the budget of anything that contributes to the spirit and morale of a team and its fans, especially on the road where everything is stacked against you. I guess we justify it by saying we nearly doubled our staff.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems self defeating to cut the budget of anything that contributes to the spirit and morale of a team and its fans, especially on the road where everything is stacked against you. I guess we justify it by saying we nearly doubled our staff.

Really disappointed to hear the band budget was cut. A pep band should be at every road game other than maybe BC, Syracuse, Stanford, and Cal.

Hopefully it'll just be for this year, although the prevailing thought/concern is that it'll become the "new normal". If you miss the Band and Cheer Squad at away games, let Athletics know, and maybe with enough feedback they can work out a better arrangement for future years.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
For 2025, if they cut traveling to Colorado to open the season and the BC game, the other 3 away games are all in North Carolina with dook, wf and ncst. Hopefully, that would make it more feasible/affordable to at least bus Pep Bands to those 3 games, if Athletics finds it to be valuable enough for them to be there for the team and fans.