Article On CPJ and The Option

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
After reading the article you can almost see CPJ shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head. HE knows Tech can compete at the highest level and he isn't about to change (nor should he) his approach! Love it!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Yet now coaches in our league are telling recruits if they want catch any passes (not to come here), and we’ve had more receivers go to the (NFL) than his program."

His program. Don't need 2 guesses as to who that quote refers to.
I saw that earlier and all I could do was chuckle. You're so right.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
We had to run errands at Wal Mart tonight after work. I went straight to the magazines and grabbed a copy. We got home, put things up and now--my wife has grabbed the magazine and is reading it cover to cover.

So far, her insights are--
"In the list of coaches on the Hot Seat, we see whose name ISN'T listed."

"Hey...here are our 2015 Signees. This is fun. We were there on National Signing Day to see them all announced!"

"They're right-- our offense isn't the Triple Option. He doesn't even run that many triple option plays a game. People should call our offense the 'Perfect Option' offense."

"Hey...Kyle Cerge-Henderson already cracked the Two-Deep according to this!"

"Wait a minute. Broderick Snoddy isn't listed on the Two-Deep. What's that all about?"

"Look at this-- Paul said that we've put more WR's in the NFL than 'his program.' We ALL know who he's talking about there."

"They're picking us to play in the SUN Bowl. That's just poopy."

Yeah. I don't think I'm getting this magazine back anytime soon.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We had to run errands at Wal Mart tonight after work. I went straight to the magazines and grabbed a copy. We got home, put things up and now--my wife has grabbed the magazine and is reading it cover to cover.

So far, her insights are--
"In the list of coaches on the Hot Seat, we see whose name ISN'T listed."

"Hey...here are our 2015 Signees. This is fun. We were there on National Signing Day to see them all announced!"

"They're right-- our offense isn't the Triple Option. He doesn't even run that many triple option plays a game. People should call our offense the 'Perfect Option' offense."

"Hey...Kyle Cerge-Henderson already cracked the Two-Deep according to this!"

"Wait a minute. Broderick Snoddy isn't listed on the Two-Deep. What's that all about?"

"Look at this-- Paul said that we've put more WR's in the NFL than 'his program.' We ALL know who he's talking about there."

"They're picking us to play in the SUN Bowl. That's just poopy."

Yeah. I don't think I'm getting this magazine back anytime soon.

I wouldn't sweat it. Athlon is one of the worst, imo. This article is 2009 in its insights. A reporter asks questions reflecting the fact that he thinks the offense CPJ has been running for 30 yrs is new news. He cited a points/game stat of top 15 as if he's ignorant how efficient our offense really was.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Total guess on my part. If there are 2 games circled this year, they've got to be UGA and Duke. If it's 3-- then Notre Dame. But, I'll never know. Because officially they're all important and we want to win them all. And, they're all just another game.

I do remember this one time when a game was just about to kick off. I was told, "Paul said that if he gets a good lead today, he's going to keep his foot on the gas pedal." Slights like that don't get forgotten soon.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Total guess on my part. If there are 2 games circled this year, they've got to be UGA and Duke. If it's 3-- then Notre Dame. But, I'll never know. Because officially they're all important and we want to win them all. And, they're all just another game.

I do remember this one time when a game was just about to kick off. I was told, "Paul said that if he gets a good lead today, he's going to keep his foot on the gas pedal." Slights like that don't get forgotten soon.

That might get said up at South Bend this year. I think PJ still bristles at the mention of VanGorder's name and the things he said and did upon arriving in Statesboro.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't sweat it. Athlon is one of the worst, imo. This article is 2009 in its insights. A reporter asks questions reflecting the fact that he thinks the offense CPJ has been running for 30 yrs is new news. He cited a points/game stat of top 15 as if he's ignorant how efficient our offense really was.
Imo pretty good read on our guys this year! ACC Lindeys is pretty good also!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
That might get said up at South Bend this year. I think PJ still bristles at the mention of VanGorder's name and the things he said and did upon arriving in Statesboro.

I have found few old articles that specifically mention Van Gorder's statements about the Flex when he was at GaSo, though I know he phased it out. Did the left-handed creep really show up in town and verbally trash an offense that had won the program multiple national titles?

It would be like getting the HC job at Boise State and saying, "You know, this multiple offense stuff is a bunch of crap. My plan is to run 5 plays total every game, maybe then we can finally beat somebody."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have found few old articles that specifically mention Van Gorder's statements about the Flex when he was at GaSo, though I know he phased it out. Did the left-handed creep really show up in town and verbally trash an offense that had won the program multiple national titles?

It would be like getting the HC job at Boise State and saying, "You know, this multiple offense stuff is a bunch of crap. My plan is to run 5 plays total every game, maybe then we can finally beat somebody."
I'm not familiar with any of it, and can go either way so to speak. But why would anybody, Johnson included, expect a new head coach to use somebody else's offense? If this guy was a pro set, or a power I, or whatever, why would he use an offense he knew nothing about? Never understood why that upset Johnson. If he wanted his offense used, he could have stayed, right? New coaches bring their predilections, preferences and familiarities on both offense and defense. As Johnson did at GT. Guys doing the hiring at GSU knew that, right? To me, a juiced up tempest, and I suspect Johnson will use it internally anyway against ND. It is one way he drives himself.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Add UNC and FSU! He knows those two games kept us out of the playoffs.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
oh-my.gif

Here's hoping we get to see a little of this from the ND sideline...

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not familiar with any of it, and can go either way so to speak. But why would anybody, Johnson included, expect a new head coach to use somebody else's offense? If this guy was a pro set, or a power I, or whatever, why would he use an offense he knew nothing about? Never understood why that upset Johnson. If he wanted his offense used, he could have stayed, right? New coaches bring their predilections, preferences and familiarities on both offense and defense. As Johnson did at GT. Guys doing the hiring at GSU knew that, right? To me, a juiced up tempest, and I suspect Johnson will use it internally anyway against ND. It is one way he drives himself.

Well if a program has a style that has been legendarily great for them, they often retain that identity even when a new guy comes in. Nebraska in the 90s, recently Navy and Northern Illinois. Nevada retained the Pistol, USC stuck to a pro-style offense after Pete Carroll left (ironically he's running a "college" system in the pros now).

I think you raise a valid point of issue, though. What makes the situation w/ Van Gorder different is that he made the same types of snide remarks about the Flex that most coaches do, despite being face-to-face with an extraordinarily successful version. Also it's pretty well established that a majority of NCAA coaches would be open to using the playbook if not for the "Buts" -- "But our defense!" "But our recruiting!" and so on. But GaSo had a strong defense and strong recruiting, at least on the FCS/1-A level. There were no "buts" to speak of.

Maybe Van Gorder knew he would eventually make D1/FBS and wanted to fit in there. Still, one recalls Lawrence Taylor's quote about Dan Reeves getting fired. "Some people must not like winning. Me, I like winning."