Another offseason article/Q&A

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good read. Thanks @tech_wreck47 for posting.

Appears some of the "fans" don't know the difference between a cut block and a chop block (hint - if only one blocker involved it CAN'T be a chop!!!)

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
wow, we have 13 starters coming back on BOTH sides of the ball? We are going to be really good. Especially with those extra 2 players on the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we take care of business in weeks 1&2, ND may psych themselves out with "better than Navy" coming to town.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
If their fans are expecting "just like Navy with better players" they are in for surprise. Navy linemen cut block way more than we do these days. We are more of a road grating team now.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The second comment by the ND fan just exposes how little about football he or she knows. The FSU lineman they are referring to is NT Eddie Goldman who was a Five Stars kid back in the day.

He was injured on a goal line play early in the first quarter when he was MASHED by either Shaq Mason or Trey Braun and left due to an ankle injury sustained trying to hold his ground.

I watched this play a few times on the DVR as I was quite curious to what happened to Mister Five Stars who lost in the trenches to lesser recruits as he was legally BLOCKED by one of our Guards! I didn't see Goldman the rest of the game although he did play against Oregon in the CFP.

The DT from Clemson Grady Jarrett was a better DL in my opinion. Whoever replaces Mason at guard this year should be able to mash opponents be it either Gary Brown or Shamire Devine.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The second comment by the ND fan just exposes how little about football he or she knows. The FSU lineman they are referring to is NT Eddie Goldman who was a Five Stars kid back in the day.

He was injured on a goal line play early in the first quarter when he was MASHED by either Shaq Mason or Trey Braun and left due to an ankle injury sustained trying to hold his ground.

I watched this play a few times on the DVR as I was quite curious to what happened to Mister Five Stars who lost in the trenches to lesser recruits as he was legally BLOCKED by one of our Guards! I didn't see Goldman the rest of the game although he did play against Oregon in the CFP.

The DT from Clemson Grady Jarrett was a better DL in my opinion. Whoever replaces Mason at guard this year should be able to mash opponents be it either Gary Brown or Shamire Devine.
When I can put aside my biases -- it is Notre Dame, and whining is what Notre Dame does -- I try to remember the number of knees our cut blocking has blown out since Johnson arrived, something everybody whined would happen, and I come to zero. Ditto our Abacks and WRs, a couple of whom got hurt on the turf. The one absolute is ND whining. They are already in mid-season form. Can't wait for the next two months. All that aside, though, there is in the piece and in the comments a genuine respect for GT and fear of the offense.