Another good article by Ken

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From the hunter to the hunted. Good question on how we'll handle success. Everyone can achieve success, but it's how you handle success once you get it that separates the good from the great. I think the talent is there for us to make a great run the next 2+ seasons, but how are the guys going handle having the bull's eye on their back? When it's 90+ degrees over the summer, and they have school commitments and social pressures pulling at them...are those voluntary runs, weight lifting sessions, and throwing sessions going to be at the top of the priority list? Guys like Synjyn Days, Zach Laskey, Quayshawn Nealy, and Shaq Mason aren't around anymore to provide leadership. Are new guys willing to step up and get in the faces of their peers and pull them towards what they need to do to become a great TEAM?

I think GT SAs are a different breed...they have to be in order to sign up for what GT requires of them. Our recruiting demands are self selecting. We don't sign SAs that 90% of the schools out there do, but you never know how someone responds to success. I think guys like Jamal Golden and DJ White can fill the void, but a college football team that wants excellence needs to leadership from a lot of guys.

It will be an interesting process to behold over the offseason and into the new 2015 season.

slugboy

Staff member
The interesting thing to take note of in that article is that we will NOT be increasing the recruiting staff.
Well, we did just increase the recruiting staff. Maybe having a little time to for the staff to gel, learn how to work with the new staff and what they can do, and figure out where our biggest needs are before committing our resources makes sense.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
From the hunter to the hunted. Good question on how we'll handle success. Everyone can achieve success, but it's how you handle success once you get it that separates the good from the great. I think the talent is there for us to make a great run the next 2+ seasons, but how are the guys going handle having the bull's eye on their back? When it's 90+ degrees over the summer, and they have school commitments and social pressures pulling at them...are those voluntary runs, weight lifting sessions, and throwing sessions going to be at the top of the priority list? Guys like Synjyn Days, Zach Laskey, Quayshawn Nealy, and Shaq Mason aren't around anymore to provide leadership. Are new guys willing to step up and get in the faces of their peers and pull them towards what they need to do to become a great TEAM?

I think GT SAs are a different breed...they have to be in order to sign up for what GT requires of them. Our recruiting demands are self selecting. We don't sign SAs that 90% of the schools out there do, but you never know how someone responds to success. I think guys like Jamal Golden and DJ White can fill the void, but a college football team that wants excellence needs to leadership from a lot of guys.

It will be an interesting process to behold over the offseason and into the new 2015 season.
PJ Davis

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Grobe's a good coach, but his statement about we are not going to be able to sneak up on anyone next year was surprising. I can't think of anyone we sneaked up on this year. Maybe Mississippi State? Not Clemson or uga. Not Miami or VT. Not Duke or UNC. uga players said they spent time in spring and preseason practices on GT. I'd bet that Miami, VT, and Clemson did too. Will they want to beat us worse than they did this year? Can't imagine that.

FSU and ND will no doubt dedicate some time to our offense. I expect the ACC schedulers to put those games back to back. Probably play FSU the Thursday night after ND. I expect us to start the season in the Top 10 next year. ND will be looking to our early season game to get their hype wagon cranked up and rolling. You can bet they will spend a lot of time on the TO in Spring and in August. Jimbo will expect to be playing us in Charlotte again next year, so FSU will have two reasons to work on stopping the TO.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
We are in a great position to continue our success; greater than after 1990 an at least equal to '98.

After 1990, although we retained much of our skill players, we lost major talent in the trenches. Couple that with Bobby's distraction searching for a NFL job and you have a 1991 season; not bad, but disapointing.

We were poised for greatness in '99, but a loss of focus and key injuries again disappoints us.

With the experience and depth returning on the oline and upgrades on the dline, not to mention key skill players, we are as well poised as any team at GT has been to take it to the next level. Of course, there's a multitude of bad breaks that can derail a terrific season, but Johnson has been there and done that before; I don't think focus or prep will be a problem.

I'm trying to contain my excitement, but we really and truly could be in the hunt next year.