Another Brilliant Game Decision by PJ

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I was watching the UGA replay and just realized that at the end of the game, right before UGA scored the go-ahead TD, PJ called his last timeout. Everyone assumed it was to gather his defense so they could be better prepared, however, I just realized that it was also a safeguard to save time for his offense in the event UGA's offense scored a TD.

Had he waited and longer to call the TO, my guess is Mark Richt would have waited until right before the end of the game to call THEIR final TO to set their offense for a final play. If this would have happened, the "dawgs" could have scored their TD to end the game rather then being forced to kickoff and let us tie and win in OT.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
PJ gets criticized for his clock management a lot, and I've never understood it. I think he's really good.

Against UNC people complained about not using timeouts, but I thoroughly believe we were trying to force them to kick the FG since their kicker's career long to that point was a 27 yarder.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
More than a few seconds ran off before that timeout. I remember being upset no timeout was called quicker.

We also NEED to call timeout on defense when our opponent decides to go on 4th down. Our ball control low possession games swing on turnovers. A 4th down stop is as good as a fumble. Use the dang timeout.

/

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
More than a few seconds ran off before that timeout. I remember being upset no timeout was called quicker.

We also NEED to call timeout on defense when our opponent decides to go on 4th down. Our ball control low possession games swing on turnovers. A 4th down stop is as good as a fumble. Use the dang timeout.

/

I was yelling at the screen saying the same thing, I think close to 10 secs ran off the clock before the timeout was taken.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

/
He explained yesterday that he was waiting to see if Richt was going to call a timeout and as soon as he realized that he wasn't he went ahead and called our final timeout.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I find less to criticize CPJ about than any coach we have had since Ross. More times than not he completely out coaches the guy on the other side of the field. A few rival coaches have admitted as much. He gets more out of a game clock and strategic play calling than anyone he faces and almost always puts the team in a position to win.

Now, does every coaching maneuver work? Of course not. But 20/20 hindsight is a luxury coaches do not have in the heat of the moment.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He explained yesterday that he was waiting to see if Richt was going to call a timeout and as soon as he realized that he wasn't he went ahead and called our final timeout.
Exactly. Didn't want to use it unless he had to... which he rightly did.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA call timeout on the Final 53 year field goal, play clock was a 4 seconds, did not look like we would have got the play off as Butker was not even set. Did we have a timeout left? If not that timeout really helped Tech.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA call timeout on the Final 53 year field goal, play clock was a 4 seconds, did not look like we would have got the play off as Butker was not even set. Did we have a timeout left? If not that timeout really helped Tech.

At the time I saw the Timeout called and that we only had 4 seconds left on the play clock. I was astounded that we were about to get a delay of game on the last play of the game.

Watching the replay the FG unit was on the field and in position with almost the full playclock available, 20 whole seconds, and were taking their sweet time to get ready. I think I see that Richt is already next to the line judge. Richt calls for timeout around 8 seconds when everyone is in position to kick, Butker has dropped back to kicking depth and Rodwell has turned his head to look for Butker's ready. The Referee sees the timeout call and acknowledges it at 6 seconds. At 4 seconds Butker is in position, but has relaxed and turned his head to the Referee since he blew the whistle.

It was close, but I believe we would have got the kick off in time without the timeout. Once in position it takes less than one second to snap the ball, the holder just turns his head and the ball is snapped.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
At the time I saw the Timeout called and that we only had 4 seconds left on the play clock. I was astounded that we were about to get a delay of game on the last play of the game.

Watching the replay the FG unit was on the field and in position with almost the full playclock available, 20 whole seconds, and were taking their sweet time to get ready. I think I see that Richt is already next to the line judge. Richt calls for timeout around 8 seconds when everyone is in position to kick, Butker has dropped back to kicking depth and Rodwell has turned his head to look for Butker's ready. The Referee sees the timeout call and acknowledges it at 6 seconds. At 4 seconds Butker is in position, but has relaxed and turned his head to the Referee since he blew the whistle.

It was close, but I believe we would have got the kick off in time without the timeout. Once in position it takes less than one second to snap the ball, the holder just turns his head and the ball is snapped.
Agree. I think the only way the time out helped is that it allowed Butker to do a little more visualization and warm up kicking. That helped I think.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Could Richt actually been watching to see if we were going to get the kick off or if he should try to "ice" Butker ? If we were really close to clock running down, maybe he would've not called the time out but at 8 secs realized we would get it off? Is that giving him too much credit??? :eek::eek::p:p:eek::eek:

Also, I assume we just needed to get the ball snapped before clock ran out, not kicked?