And since we have been occupied by line play recently …

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Take a look at this:

Yep; the correlations seem to indicate that the better your run D in the pros, the worse your overall D performance. It would be interesting - and I'm not volunteering and I hope no one else here does - to see if the same thing happens when you calculate the 538 index for college teams. I'm betting the relationship wouldn't hold up, mainly because all college teams run option Os of one kind or the other. The only pro teams that do that regularly are the Seahawks and the Chiefs. Especially the Hawks.

Well, I'm hoping that our run D is stouter this year. I don't know about the pros, but in college if you let the other guys run, they'll accommodate you.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the logic in the article is flawed due to the fact that there are many complex parameters which would need to be analyzed in order to come up with a solution such as the competition faced by each player/team and many more. That leads to what may be called the "observer effect" in physics which indicates that the conclusion may be influenced by the observer – in this case the statistical components included in the analysis of the investigator.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Seems more that good run stoppers encourage the other team to pass more, and if they did the same against bad run stoppers they'd be better off. Passing OP in the NFL. Probably a lot more variation in the college game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the logic in the article is flawed due to the fact that there are many complex parameters which would need to be analyzed in order to come up with a solution such as the competition faced by each player/team and many more. That leads to what may be called the "observer effect" in physics which indicates that the conclusion may be influenced by the observer – in this case the statistical components included in the analysis of the investigator.
Schrodinger's Cat?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems more that good run stoppers encourage the other team to pass more, and if they did the same against bad run stoppers they'd be better off. Passing OP in the NFL. Probably a lot more variation in the college game.
I guess the lesson here is that NFL teams need to chuck the ball more.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Right. By observing/measuring the event, you're interacting with the event, thus changing the event. I remember that. But, it's also described by the paradoxical Schrodinger's cat thought experiment.

I do realize this was about quantum physics.
Right. That would also be applicable.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No. Heideger's uncertainty principle.
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heidegger was a philosopher. With Heisenberg, it was you could know the position or the velocity of an electron but not both. Measuring one affects the other. Or at least that's what I remember learning from Elmer Fudd (Neuman) in 1987.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Take a look at this:

Yep; the correlations seem to indicate that the better your run D in the pros, the worse your overall D performance. It would be interesting - and I'm not volunteering and I hope no one else here does - to see if the same thing happens when you calculate the 538 index for college teams. I'm betting the relationship wouldn't hold up, mainly because all college teams run option Os of one kind or the other. The only pro teams that do that regularly are the Seahawks and the Chiefs. Especially the Hawks.

Well, I'm hoping that our run D is stouter this year. I don't know about the pros, but in college if you let the other guys run, they'll accommodate you.
Interesting but if you are playing Alabama and getting run slap dab over then you better believe interior line play matters on defense. In college, shutting down the run to force a one dimensional offense is job one for any defensive coordinator, I would think. As for "the best interior run defenders..." I don't know not having seen too much of that around these parts in quite a while.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Heidegger was a philosopher. With Heisenberg, it was you could know the position or the velocity of an electron but not both. Measuring one affects the other. Or at least that's what I remember learning from Elmer Fudd (Neuman) in 1987.
Sorry. You are certainly right.

slugboy

Staff member

Heidegger's uncertainty was
  • you could say you understood his philosophy
  • or you could read it
  • but you couldn't do both simultaneously
;)