Alumni game

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They held the Alumni game after the Wake game today. It was so much fun to watch.
You had alot of well known alum at the game today including the entire 1990 team other than McNeil.

Bobby C was determined to win the alumni game today as he is winless against Roger Kaiser and Homer Rice. As he mentioned he was happy to hear he had Dennis Scott on his team until he found out he had torn his ACL and would be unable to play. He was happy Malcolm Mackey would be on his team, until he found out he couldn't play.

It was nice to see all the guys from the 80's and 90's and a few from before that.
The main players on the Gold team (Cremins Coached) were Brian Domalik, Jack Mansell, Marvin Lewis, Brian Oliver
The main players on the Blue team included Travis Best, Drew Barry, John Kelly, Paul Trotti.

Best Story - one I hadn't heard before.
Drew told a story of the night before the 1996 ACC Chamampionship Game Bobby called him and told him to come to his hotel room because Bobby wanted to change the offense (Drew said Bobby wanted to change the offense pretty much after every game), when he got there, the door was ajar so Drew went in but didn't see anybody.
He asked was anybody in the bathroom. Bobby said yes. Drew said he would wait on the sofa, Bobby told him to come on in. When Drew walked into the bathroom - Bobby was in the tub, in a bubble bath with a whiteboard in his hand. Drew said he took one look at this and said - that's it, i'm outta here.

Jack Mansell had a funny anecdote about the game against Georgetown. He mentioned that Salley got into foul trouble so Jack almost got to play until Bobby decided to play Craig Neal at the 4 instead.

Funniest parts of the alumni game itself. Gold team was up 2 with about 30 seconds left and Mansell at the foul line. Mansell hits the first but tries a trick FT for the second and misses. At this point Bobby is coaching with the microphone - his instruction is to not let a 3 pt shot off. Blue team comes down and manages to get the ball to Drew Barry who buries a 3. Drew comes over to the microphone and says
"Your up three and instruct your team not to allow a 3-pt shoot and the best shooter on the floor gets the bal - that's some great coaching there".

I'll also add that Gregory showed up for the end of the 4th Quarter of the game (they played 6 min quarters). Bobby told him to come help him coach. He asked with 22 seconds left and a 3-pt lead should they foul. Gregory said no, not unless your under 8 seconds. Other great line and it was nice to see Gregory smile - was with the game tied and Gold ball with 9 seconds to play Bobby asked Brian to draw up the play. Gregory responded - "with how things have been going i'm not sure you want me to do that". The Gold team did end up scoring with 1 second to play to hand Coach Cremins his firs victory as a coach in the Alumni game.

I'll also add that it was nice to see Wes Durham stick around for the alumni game as well as a decent number of fans. it was really fun, alot of stories, a light hearted but competitive game - got alot more competitive late in the game - early on there was little defense and frankly attempts to let the older guys get some buckets.

But i'm not sure i'll ever forget the bubble bath story.

RamblinRed

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I had no idea that there was going to be an alumi game following Wake when I bought tickets. When they announced it during the game, I had to stay after and check it out. It was awesome! I had almost as much fun watching that as I did watching Tech play their best game of the year. I have never been to the alumni game, though I guess they play it every year. For long-time Tech basketball fans who may not have ever been to one, I highly recommend it. Just a lot of fun to see a whole bunch of old faces. Some of the guys like Travis Best and Drew Barry look like they could still play. Others were not in quite the same shape :)

As an aside, I was not familiar with Jack Mansell before the game, and gather from jokes that the players and coaches were trading with one another that he didn't play much at all, but I would sign him up for this years team. He looked great out there!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mansell was the primary post backup on the Thin Gold line, behind Salley and Joseph.

The other interesting anecdote was by Dennis Scott. He mentioned he was contacted by the ACC office recently. He holds the record for most minutes played in ACC games in a season (40.4 PPG). Cremins mentioned that there are only 40 minutes in a game and Dennis retorted you never took me out and we played 3 OT games. The office called because Cooney at Syracuse never comes out and if Syracuse plays 3 OT games he could surpass Dennis (Cooney is currently at 39.9 mpg).

RamblinRed

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Mansell was the primary post backup on the Thin Gold line, behind Salley and Joseph.

The other interesting anecdote was by Dennis Scott. He mentioned he was contacted by the ACC office recently. He holds the record for most minutes played in ACC games in a season (40.4 PPG). Cremins mentioned that there are only 40 minutes in a game and Dennis retorted you never took me out and we played 3 OT games. The office called because Cooney at Syracuse never comes out and if Syracuse plays 3 OT games he could surpass Dennis (Cooney is currently at 39.9 mpg).

RamblinRed

Yeah, Jack came in the same class as me, Mark and John. I was just a nerd. It was a different game then, when Bobby ran basically a 6 man rotation.