ajc article on Darryl LaBarrie

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at Tech the same time as Darryl. I wasn't friends with Darryl but I had a few classes with him. I was always impressed with how he carried himself. Definitely did not seem to fit the "jock" stereotype.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
More notes on Labarrie:

http://georgiatech.blog.myajc.com/2016/07/29/more-from-labarrie-pastner-unreal-in-recruiting-effort/

Makes you think once that first elite guy commits to GT (and it will come), things will start snowballing for this staff. They are certainly working hard and getting in front of prospects. I think they've made up a LOT of ground on some of the elite 2017 guys, hopefully it's not too late and get a Sexton or Carter or Walker (or all of them!)

The first article also emphasizes the importance of being plugged into the AAU scene, and the role of shoe companies. I know there was some consternation on this board about Labarrie especially since we could have hired a REALLY good and well respected HS coach in GA, but I think the two articles clarified Labarrie was chosen in the end.

I'll say this. I have no clue how the Pastner experiment is going to end up, but these guys are doing it the right way and busting their humps. LaBarrie seems to have high standards for guys he wants to bring to GT, and how they represent GT once they get here. Really impressive stuff in the articles...you can tell he's destined to take over his own program one day in the not too distant future.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
“I would say Paul (Hewitt), he was probably the best (recruiter) that I’ve been around,” said LaBarrie, who was a grad assistant and then an assistant coach to Hewitt. “But Josh is unreal. I don’t think the guy sleeps or eats. He just coaches and recruits all day long. He’s always sending us information, he’s always talking to people. He’s just so high energy that it makes you raise your level or you look bad.”

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this was my favorite part of the second article

LaBarrie has been taken by Pastner’s zeal for recruiting.
Back in June when we spoke, he said he had never been a part of a staff that had had so many unofficial visits in such a short period of time.

“I don’t think I’m exaggerating this,” he said. “I think in the last month, I’ve been a part of more unofficial visits than I have in my other nine years of coaching, combined. We’ve had two and three kids come in in a day. We just have a lot of work to do.”

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
im loving how this new regime is unfolding to this point.

if the old saying "success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" holds true than we should be fine.

also....

zig ziglar had a saying "for every 'no' you get you are one 'no' closer to a yes". ;)

Last edited: