AJC: 11 thoughts on Georgia Tech-Tulane

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think he was joking about using the d-lineman in the power I. I've seen a couple of games when he was at Hawaii where he did just that. Thanks for the link.

Interesting, I didn't realize CPJ had done that. In recent years I thought it would be an interesting wrinkle to see what the defense would do -- on 4th-and-more-than-five-yards situations when the offense often shifts into the classic wishbone formation for the "hope-to-draw-the-defense-offside" maneuver -- to instead come initially set up in an old-school "Capital"/Maryland/Stack-I formation, and then shift into the standard double-slot formation. Or vice versa.

Actually, a game like (we hope) Tulane will be seems to this mere fan to be a grand opportunity to run something unique or show a genuinely odd formation, to put something on game film which the squad never would run the remainder of the season -- but nonetheless have it on film so the DCs of the next 10 opponents have to make note of it and take a wee bit of time to mentally account for it when prepping for Tech.

And that's why I'm not a coach. ;) Quit rolling your eyes, you real football guys.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JD and Kallon as lead blockers for a big QB out of the power eye. For first and 5 inside the 5 it would be great to see. If nothing else get some really good body blows on the D and weaken them for later in in the game. Just like boxing where you start off with a lot of punches to the stomach to weaken the opponent for the late rounds.

If you're up enough, don't even try to score till 3rd down and just milk the clock for another 2 minutes. The game is won by the team who scores the most points in 60 minutes.

Good article, thanks for the link.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, a game like (we hope) Tulane will be seems to this mere fan to be a grand opportunity to run something unique or show a genuinely odd formation, to put something on game film which the squad never would run the remainder of the season -- but nonetheless have it on film so the DCs of the next 10 opponents have to make note of it and take a wee bit of time to mentally account for it when prepping for Tech.

And that's why I'm not a coach. ;)

It sounds like a power diamond or something. But no one would ever run a formation like that. :whistle: