ACC QB Rankings Week 4

slugboy

Staff member
The ESPN QBR is purely from stats, and King had an 86 QBR, but that doesn’t count what was effectively a pick 6/fumble/backward pass that wasn’t credited to him in the box score.

Even with that, King is having a great year.

Cam Ward is playing at a Heisman tier. King is playing at a top 25 tier. There are other QBs in the ACC playing at a high level. I don’t think I’d put Klubnik #2. I think other ACC quarterbacks would do more behind center at Clemson. Ward also has the benefit of being surrounded by talent, but he makes the team around him a lot better.

I didn’t feel like the USA Today writer watched a lot of ACC football in putting together their list.

I’d group them more like

S+ tier
Cam Ward

A tier
Haynes King
Castellanos (BC)
Shough (Louisville)

A- tier
Klubnik (stats are awesome, but against AppState and NCST)
Mendoza (Cal)
McCord (Syr).

B tier
Holstein (Pitt)

C tier
Jennings (SMU)
Colandrea (UVa)
Bachmeier (Wake)

D tier
Criswell (UNC)
Drones (VT)
Uiagalelei (FSU)

F tier
McCall (NCST)
Daniels (Stan)

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The ESPN QBR is purely from stats, and King had an 86 QBR, but that doesn’t count what was effectively a pick 6/fumble/backward pass that wasn’t credited to him in the box score.

Cam Ward is playing at a Heisman tier. King is playing at a top 25 tier. There are other QBs in the ACC playing at a high level. I don’t think I’d put Klubnik #2. I think other ACC quarterbacks would do more behind center at Clemson. Ward also has the benefit of being surrounded by talent, but he makes the team around him a lot better.

I didn’t feel like the USA Today writer watched a lot of ACC football in putting together their list.

I’d group them more like

S+ tier
Cam Ward

A tier
Haynes King
Castellanos (BC)
Shough (Louisville)

A- tier
Mendoza (Cal)
McCord (Syr).

B tier
Holstein (Pitt)

C tier
Jennings (SMU)
Colandrea (UVa)
Bachmeier (Wake)

D tier
Criswell (UNC)
Drones (VT)
Uiagalelei (FSU)

F tier
McCall (NCST)
Daniels (Stan)
Where does Malik Murphy af Duke fit?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

I’d group them more like

S+ tier
Cam Ward

A tier
Haynes King
Castellanos (BC)
Shough (Louisville)

A- tier
Mendoza (Cal)
McCord (Syr).

B tier
Holstein (Pitt)

C tier
Jennings (SMU)
Colandrea (UVa)
Bachmeier (Wake)

D tier
Criswell (UNC)
Drones (VT)
Uiagalelei (FSU)

F tier
McCall (NCST)
Daniels (Stan)
King did not have his best game last Saturday. I wonder how much was him trying to make it happen. I honestly scratch my head at why we don't fill the air with passes until the opponents loosen up the run D. We can do that. Our passing game is solid.

slugboy

Staff member
Remember the Jamie Chadwell coaching debate that he got lucky having Grayson McCall at Coastal Carolina so we needed to take Chadwell's record there with a grain of salt? Yeah, that didn't age too well...
QB ratings are partially a team stat. He might be getting NFL attention at Liberty.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Ward is the only one I’d take over King.

Castallanos is really dangerous and the next up for me, but completes less than King.

I like scrambling too much to take Shroud or McCord, especially with the DL pressure on our schedule.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I’d group them more like

S+ tier
Cam Ward

A tier
Haynes King
Castellanos (BC)
Shough (Louisville)

A- tier
Mendoza (Cal)
McCord (Syr).

B tier
Holstein (Pitt)

C tier
Jennings (SMU)
Colandrea (UVa)
Bachmeier (Wake)

D tier
Criswell (UNC)
Drones (VT)
Uiagalelei (FSU)

F tier
McCall (NCST)
Daniels (Stan)
I watched the entire Syracuse vs. Stanford game. Daniels, the Stanford quarterback is the worst quarterback I have seen this year. The only way that Stanford won was they shut down, I mean really shut down that supposedly all world hybrid tight end/receiver of Syracuse, the one that is so tall. Plus, Daniels heaved a ball in the general direction of a wide receiver that Syracuse let run free like in a fraternity flag football game and he caught the ball to set up the winning score. If we played Stanford, I think we would beat them pretty handily but we could not even handle Syracuse so it matters not.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I’d group them more like

S+ tier
Cam Ward

A tier
Haynes King
Castellanos (BC)
Shough (Louisville)

A- tier
Mendoza (Cal)
McCord (Syr).

B tier
Holstein (Pitt)

C tier
Jennings (SMU)
Colandrea (UVa)
Bachmeier (Wake)

D tier
Criswell (UNC)
Drones (VT)
Uiagalelei (FSU)

F tier
McCall (NCST)
Daniels (Stan)
My thoughts align fairly well with yours on this. Before last Saturday I would have rated McCord closer to King’s level, but still give the nod to King for his overall contribution to our offense. McCord seems to be a bit better as a pure passer – he certainly showed that in our game. But he did not have a great game last weekend.

To your point, the stats used by the article don’t properly factor in the talent around the QB.