ACC Preseason Prediction Thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I decided to look at our schedule and try to make some predictions. My main focus is on the OOC games:

Cornell had a good team last year, but lost three starters, including their best player. We should begin the season with an easy win.
Tennessee is picked to be in the bottom half of the SEC. If we lose this game, there will need to be a huge improvement before the ACC schedule.
Green Bay was a very good team last year, but, like Cornell, lost a lot to graduation, including their best player. Assuming we beat Tennessee, this should be a win at home.
I hope we are a lot better than East Tennessee State, a middling Southern Conference team.
Stanford won the NIT last year, but also lost a lot to graduation. This should be a good test for us. I will call it a tossup.
Assuming Villanova is next, we are in for a long night. They are a top 10 team. Expect a loss, <10 points will be very good.
Assuming Arkansas, we should be playing a team more more new faces than GT. I think we can win this game.

So, after the preseason NIT, we could be 5-1 at best, more likely 4-2. Worse and things are not going well.

No matter how the early season has gone, we should beat Wofford and Tulane.
Next up is VCU and they are not the VCU of the past. I am calling this a toss-up.
The uga game is certainly a toss, as both teams come in with a lot of emotion.
I hope Colgate and Duquesne are relatively easy wins.

Where does that leave us? We could be 11-1, which would bode well for the season. More likely we will be 9-3 or 8-4. Worse is not a good sign.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For those interested, Syracuse is going to a perimeter-oriented offense this year out of need. They are severely limited at the center position with Coleman coming back from injury along with an ineffective backup. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest 'Cuse will have the worst center(s) in the league.

The (hopeful) offset to that is Coleman's potential improvement (he was a 5* recruit) and the freshmen class (three 4*). Richardson and Lydon both appear to be ready for college ball, Lydon being a stretch 4, and Richardson playing the 3 who can also create. The team hoisted a ridiculous number of 3's in the preseason and were surprisingly efficient relative to last year. I don't think scoring will be as much of a problem as last year... potential for similar improvement as GT on that end.

Defensively, surprisingly effort and instincts in the zone for the freshmen is ahead of expectations. That said, any team that is effective finding the middle and crashing the boards is going to have a field day. The Orange are light, albeit with bigger guards, but I can see a disciplined GT team take advantage of that this year. Losing Christmas and what should have been a 4th freshman in Moustapha Diagne (also labeled most game ready of the bunch) is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
1-UNC
2-Puke
3-Virginia
4-FSU
5-ND
6-Miami
7-NC State
8-Louisville
9-Wake
10-Cuse
11-VT
12-Pitt
13-GT
14-Clemson
15-BC

1st Team-M. Paige, M. Brogdon, D. Jackson, XRM, Brice Johnson

2nd Team- B. Ingram, J. Blossomgame, Cat Barber, Kennedy Meeks, D. Thomas

3rd Team- A. Gill, M. Gbinije, J. Artis, MGH, Angel Rodriguez

All-Rookie Team- B. Ingram, D. Bacon, C. Clarke, D. Moore, C. Jeter

POTY- Marcus Paige
ROTY-Brandon Ingram
COTY- Leonard Hamilton

Fun to look back on this.

Wake, NCST, and FSU

XRM first team ACC

Whoa.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My POY is Brice Johnson, with Cat Barber as runner-up.

You picked the top and bottom perfectly. In between, not so good.

If we win out with MGH playing as he has recently, he could move into the top five. He has opened some eyes.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My POY is Brice Johnson, with Cat Barber as runner-up.

You picked the top and bottom perfectly. In between, not so good.

If we win out with MGH playing as he has recently, he could move into the top five. He has opened some eyes.
I agree I think Brice Johnson is easily the POY.