ACC Coastal has a prove-it moment this weekend

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
While FPI gives the Blue Devils the highest chance to win the Coastal among this trio, Miami and Georgia Tech cling to hope. This leads to yet another intriguing question. Which team would present the toughest matchup for Florida State come December?

We can go back to the past two ACC championship games for some history. In 2012, Florida State beat Georgia Tech, 21-15, holding off a late Jackets' rally in what would become the first victory in this current 25-game winning streak. Florida State is better than it was that season, but Georgia Tech is vastly improved offensively than it was back then, too.

The issue for Georgia Tech is defense, which remains porous and liable to get torched by Jameis Winston. However, the Jackets do present perhaps the biggest matchup problem among the three teams in Coastal contention.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...nt-this-weekend

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Tech and/or Miami would present the toughest challenge.

I believe we would beat them this year if we get the shot. I don't believe their Defense could stop us. Although I also think our D would make Jameis look like a Heisman candidate or something.

/

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We would have the best shot. Duke isn’t talented enough on either side of the ball and Miami would make too many mistakes. We could at least score enough to keep up with them.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
FSU can stop Duke Johnson imo, if they come out focused then i think they will beat UM handily. They will beat the crap out of dookie. I think we could give them all they wanted on offense at least

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
sloppy reporting comparing yds/game stats between Justin & Tevin. Tevin split time with Vad for a lot of games in 2012. JT is obviously having a better year than TW 2012, but it's not by that much and it's not just an issue of the two QBs.

That being said, I'm still a little cautious on our D and fear that they would, in fact, get torched by FSU's O. It would be tough for us to stay on track with our offense if we get behind a couple scores. Admittedly, I think FSU is trolling a bit with keeping their games close.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not really afraid of playing anyone at this point. We will compete against pretty much anybody IMO. I think FSU will wet the bed vs UM. They have flirted too much with mediocre play and a sloppy game vs UM will cost them. I hope they beat UM but have a feeling they wont. If Im right it will be bad for the conference and us....Orange Bowl will not be in play at all for us if FSU loses even one game this year...that will keep the ACC out of the playoffs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hope so AE and felt the same earlier this year. FSU has played poorly lately imo conidering all of their talent. They have been sloppy but have gotten away with it due to facing inferior talent. That kinda play becomes habit forming imo and if they play like that vs UM they lose.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU will dominate

Love the facts provided. (tic) FSU hasn't dominated any games overall this year really other than the Wake and The Citadel games. Maybe this week they turn over a new leaf, but I doubt it.

Football Outsiders has FSU as #7 and Miami as #12. Not a statistical domination; there are other estimates which give FSU a larger edge. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fplus The FSU O is better than Miami O (#4 versus #10). The Miami D is better (#18 versus #29).

Miami will score a lot on FSU. FSU will score a lot on Miami. So I think both teams offenses will do well. I think Miami ends the FSU streak ......... it'll definitely be the game I watch Saturday night.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FSU is #46 in Passing Yards in the 1st half. They are #2 in Passing Yards in the 2nd half, resulting in #10 in passing yds/game. They be trolling

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU is #46 in Passing Yards in the 1st half. They are #2 in Passing Yards in the 2nd half, resulting in #10 in passing yds/game. They be trolling

I actually agree that FSU isn't motivated in most of their games. When they are, they can be fearsome and don't turn it on till the second half we they have dug themselves a hole.

But I don't think they will take Miami seriously either to start since they are arrogant and *know* they are the best having won 25 in a row.

It's also why I'd love to see FSU play us. If we get a two score lead early, we'd squeeze like an anaconda. This year our physical conditioning seems much better.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I want this game really badly...

My dream scenario is for us to win out, while the ACC to go undefeated against the SEC, and us to beat FSU in the ACC Championship Game, while UGA wins the SECCG. There we'd be alongside UGA as Conference Champs with us holding the head-to-head. Who does the committee take/leave out of the playoffs? You can't possibly leave out the SEC?!?!?! THE HORROR!!!

Most likely they'd take the 1-loss SEC west team that DIDN'T make the championship game...and all hell would break loose.

If we had beaten Duke, we would've clinched the Coastal on Saturday...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Let's beat these bastiches. I'm tired of watching us lose to them. We turned around the VT and Miami series, lets keep the dice rollin'. Let it ride!