About that cut blocking thing...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I read a piece on Stanford's Christian McCaffrey this morning -- sorry I can't link it but my wife handed her iPad to me at breakfast -- and among things he must improve upon is cut blocking. The difference is, apparently, that he always seems to know who he should cut. I had always assumed what with all the criticism that GT is the only team that ever practiced the art and that what I have been seeing on TV was an illusion.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Rb cut blocking is a key pass pro technique and hard to execute. Easy to know who to get. Hard to do it against a rushing 6-4 270 lb DE.

As many of us said if u eliminate cut blocking u kill the game and put the qb at more risk than ever before

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
People also confuse legal cut blocking with illegal blocking below the waste which are essentially cut blocks coming from dangerous angles.
Exactly. Cuts from the side are illegal and dangerous. Just like a tackle using the crown of your helmet is illegal and dangerous. So lets just take all contact out of the sport. I mean anouncers seem to grasp the illegal tackle thing not cuts though.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here is the article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...look-scouting-stanford-rb-christian-mccaffrey

"Where he needs to improve: Pass protection is a major area of concern with McCaffrey. He is a willing blocker, but his technique needs improvement. He ducks his head and misses too often. He needs to be more effective as a cut blocker. Even when he does square up linebackers, he lacks the base to anchor down and stop their charge. He gives one good pop, but he struggles to sustain. I do love the fact that he's assignment aware. His eyes are fixed on the correct assignment/target."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here is the article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...look-scouting-stanford-rb-christian-mccaffrey

"Where he needs to improve: Pass protection is a major area of concern with McCaffrey. He is a willing blocker, but his technique needs improvement. He ducks his head and misses too often. He needs to be more effective as a cut blocker. Even when he does square up linebackers, he lacks the base to anchor down and stop their charge. He gives one good pop, but he struggles to sustain. I do love the fact that he's assignment aware. His eyes are fixed on the correct assignment/target."
Thanks. I had no idea where it was. Turns out my wife was reading it because several years ago we knew both Christian's father and grandfather. Both of them are tough-minded, serious competitors to whom winning is just about everything and not much is in second.