247 2021 Team Talent Composite

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
247 Updated their Team Talent rankings. It's based on the total recruiting rankings of the roster - including transfers in/out, etc. It's imperfect, but interesting to see. Tech is up to 33rd Nationally and 5th in the ACC Just ahead of NC State and a step below FSU and UNC.

Tech was 50th nationally and 10th in the ACC in 2018 has trended steadily upwards since.

It's one of the reasons I'm optimistic about this season. It's a tough schedule, we play some of the most 'talented teams' in the nation. We should certainly expect a handful of losses. But we're not as outmatched as the pundits seem to think. IMHO, we have the roster to expect to at least compete in every game outside of UGA, ND and Clemson. And an upset in one of those three would be surprising, but not unheard of.

1630428982383.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
247 Updated their Team Talent rankings. It's based on the total recruiting rankings of the roster - including transfers in/out, etc. It's imperfect, but interesting to see. Tech is up to 33rd Nationally and 5th in the ACC Just ahead of NC State and a step below FSU and UNC.

Tech was 50th nationally and 10th in the ACC in 2018 has trended steadily upwards since.

It's one of the reasons I'm optimistic about this season. It's a tough schedule, we play some of the most 'talented teams' in the nation. We should certainly expect a handful of losses. But we're not as outmatched as the pundits seem to think. IMHO, we have the roster to expect to at least compete in every game outside of UGA, ND and Clemson. And an upset in one of those three would be surprising, but not unheard of.

View attachment 11057

Looking at composite numbers it's Clemson by themselves. Duh.

Then the next four. Then everyone else is close with us ahead marginally. But not a clear difference imho.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We are slightly ahead of NC State and marginally ahead of Pittsburgh and VT. But we are significantly ahead of 9 though 14 (assume Syracuse is14 though they are not showing on this list). We are 68 points behind FSU (#4) and 70 points ahead of #9. So I don't think it is fair to say everyone below 4 are all lumped together. Of course what makes this year's schedule tough is we are playing the Top 3 (as does FSU).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

1630430532211.png

Breakdown of our top 10:
  • 6 transfers
  • 3 from CGC's first class
  • 1 Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Hard to know whether it makes sense to use HS rankings for transfers. The coaches are expecting an impact this year as they should.

CGC's second full class will participate in their first game on Saturday vs. NIU. From that class, BlackStrain is highest rated at #11 on the team composite. Unsurprisingly he and all other true frosh, save for four, did not make the ATL chart.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Clemson
————
UNC, Miami, FSU
————
Tech, NCSU, Pitt
————
VPI
————
BC, UVA, UL, Duke
————
WF

We’ll still be trending up (score/average) next year given our expected attrition and incoming class. Will start to plateau after that unless we kick it up a notch in recruiting.

VPI will likely drop down into that next tier down next year after 20/21/22 classes comprise the bulk of their team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Of course what makes this year's schedule tough is we are playing the Top 3

We play those three every year, as well as the number 2 overall school on the list in uga. Add in ND and there are 5 teams in the overall top 20 on our schedule. Pitt and VT are right near us as well. It's gonna be a tough year.

That being said, this is year 3 and CGC definitely has us trending in the right direction talent-wise. With another full year of recruiting and development we should see a vastly different W/L result by the end of 2022.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

View attachment 11058

Breakdown of our top 10:
  • 6 transfers
Hard to know whether it makes sense to use HS rankings for transfers. The coaches are expecting an impact this year as they should.

CGC's second full class will participate in their first game on Saturday vs. NIU. From that class, BlackStrain is highest rated at #11 on the team composite. Unsurprisingly he and all other true frosh, save for four, did not make the ATL chart.

Simply put, CGC recruits better than CPJ.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Gosh I hope so! That's why we hired him :)

Since it appears to be certain that CGC can recruit better than did CPJ, the question is, since we will be running the same offense and defense as everyone else, will the talent differential be enough for CGC to win as many or more games than did Coach Paul's system and game day coaching?

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

View attachment 11058

Breakdown of our top 10:
  • 6 transfers

I consider less True freshman above the line a good thing. That means we’ve built depth at most positions. It’s also good to see our transfers immediately being above the line. Now hopefully they immediately provide results. I’d still like to see our composite 247 rank closer to where FSU and UNC are. If we can play well this season, I think our recruiting trend will continue to grow.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was looking at our schedule next year, it ain't easier. We trade KSU for Ole Miss, BC for FSU, NIU for Western Carolina, and ND for UCF. I'd say the only easier game there is UCF, and they're no slouch.

@FSU, @UNC, @VT, @uga, @UCF, @Pitt

We better be recruiting better because I don't see our schedule getting easier in the near future.

View attachment 11057

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I was looking at our schedule next year, it ain't easier. We trade KSU for Ole Miss, BC for FSU, NIU for Western Carolina, and ND for UCF. I'd say the only easier game there is UCF, and they're no slouch.

@FSU, @UNC, @VT, @uga, @UCF, @Pitt

We better be recruiting better because I don't see our schedule getting easier in the near future.
From a match up standpoint, that’s a cool schedule.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap! Didn’t realize it was that bad. We’re going 6-6 again. ****.

I guess Ole miss is at home. Should be fun. One of my oldest friends went there.

I think we can beat VT, UCF and Pitt on the road. Others……

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If we can start winning more games I believe CGC will be able to recruit in that top 25/20 class area with an occasional top 15 class. I think a lot of recruits are waiting to see how we improve on the field. We have started the 2023 class off pretty well. It would not surprise me to see 2 of our 3 current commits be top 300 guys when all is said and done.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Since it appears to be certain that CGC can recruit better than did CPJ, the question is, since we will be running the same offense and defense as everyone else, will the talent differential be enough for CGC to win as many or more games than did Coach Paul's system and game day coaching?
That's the big question, but one point is that winning against teams that were uber-dominant on the lines was previously almost impossible to overcome by superior sideline coaching.
We previously were able to out-maneuver and out-coach Clemson and Georgia on occasion, but then they got so dominant on the lines that they were in our backfield at will and we were out of the game. Bigger and better lines will hopefully put us back in the game against anybody. But we'll see what happens...