2024 Team Preview: PPDvP5 (long)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For a brief introduction to my PPDvP5 stat see https://gtswarm.com/threads/points-per-drive-vs-pwr-5-rankings.27422/

State of the program: The trend in PPDvP5 gives us reason to be optimistic for this season in both offense and defense. We will first look at Georgia Tech over the last ten years and then, for tentative insight into our new DC, we will look at Duke over the last 5 years, focusing on 2023 as Santucci’s one year as DC.

GT, the Last 10 Years
1720633772983.png

Position Group and Team Rankings, obviously, are only relative to the number of teams who played a sufficient number of qualifying games. This is typically 70 to 80 teams rather than the 130 or so FBS teams.

Duke’s rankings over the last five years:
1720633843781.png

The Tech data help to quantify how dramatically we improved in offense last year and how we continued to struggle in defense. According to these stats, 2023 looks comparable to 2016 and 2017. Interestingly, our record in 2016 was 9-4 with 3 W’s by a combined 7 pts, and our record in 2017 was 5-6 with 3 L’s by a combined 8pts. The Duke data help to quantify the improvement not only of the whole team under Elko but also of the Defense under Santucci in 2023.

Now, let’s look at the 2023 season in more detail. The following tables compare the per game performance of GT and Duke against that team’s season average. The more an Offense Ratio is greater than 1.00 and the more a Defense Ratio is less than 1.00 the better.

1720633906141.png

1720633943044.png

I haven’t done much work with these ratio stats, so I don’t really know how to judge their significance. Still, I’ll try.

On offense: The GT data quantify our inconsistency on O. However, if we look at the four games where GT’s Offense Ratio was less than 1.00, we see what appears to be a common factor. In those four games, we lost 12 turnovers (11 interceptions). We had 7 turnovers (5 interceptions) in our other 8 FBS games combined. Our average Off PPD against those 8 opponents was 2.89, which would’ve been good for the #12 Offense if it were for the season.

On Defense: The GT data similarly quantify our inconsistency on D, but they also suggest a significant improvement/better-preparation in D against georgie and UCF. In our games against Wake Forest, Miami, and Virginia, our D gained 13 turnovers (5, 5, and 3), more than half of our turnovers gained vs Power 5 teams. For what it’s worth, our D was tied with Michigan for the most turnovers gained (23) against Power 5 opponents. The Duke data interestingly show what seems to be a consistently strong performance against a nice spectrum of teams over the first half of the season. However, this performance seems to fall off a bit for the second half, and I don’t know if they had significant injuries which might explain this. Also, Duke’s Defense Efficiency doesn’t appear to be as tied to turnovers as ours.

CONCLUSION: I think we have good reasons to believe we will be a much-improved team in 2024. Offense: Most of our much-improved-in-2023 Offense is returning. Still, we will go as Haynes King goes. In 2023, he was famously one of two players (with LSU’s Jayden Daniels) with 2700 passing yards, 600 rushing yards, 25 TD passes and five TD runs. However, King also threw 16 interceptions, compared to Daniels’ 4. At A&M, King averaged 1 interception/game in 2021 and 2022. Defense: Okay, I place our strong reason for optimism here significantly on Santucci whose one year at Duke showed improvement over the previous year which also had Elko as head coach. Also, Duke’s strength over the first half of last season looks legit. We also seemed to fill some gaps well from the transfer portal. On the downside, GT has not had a D ranked inside the top 40 (by my stat) in the last 15 years.

Go Jackets!

Attachments

• 1720633881862.png
    1720633881862.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 8

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Quality content. Wild that even with how ugag was scoring on us at will, our defense was somehow better than the season average of their opponents.

Good Observation. Their blowout of FSU inflated their average offense against P5 a little bit, but our D still held them to 0.93 of what they did otherwise.

Overall by PPDvP5, u[sic]ga had the #1 offense (even excluding the FSU game) last year. The difference in Off PPDvP5 between #1 and #11 is about the same as the difference between #11 and #45. This comparison is comparable to the results for Def PPDvP5 as well.

Playing teams with top 5, top 10, units is tough.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Quality content. Wild that even with how ugag was scoring on us at will, our defense was somehow better than the season average of their opponents.
Not wild at all. Your bar for "scoring at will" must be lower than mine. They scored on 5 of nine drives. Pretty good, but hardly scoring at will. Our D forced two turnovers.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For a brief introduction to my PPDvP5 stat see https://gtswarm.com/threads/points-per-drive-vs-pwr-5-rankings.27422/

State of the program: The trend in PPDvP5 gives us reason to be optimistic for this season in both offense and defense. We will first look at Georgia Tech over the last ten years and then, for tentative insight into our new DC, we will look at Duke over the last 5 years, focusing on 2023 as Santucci’s one year as DC.

GT, the Last 10 Years
View attachment 16354
Position Group and Team Rankings, obviously, are only relative to the number of teams who played a sufficient number of qualifying games. This is typically 70 to 80 teams rather than the 130 or so FBS teams.

Duke’s rankings over the last five years:
View attachment 16355

The Tech data help to quantify how dramatically we improved in offense last year and how we continued to struggle in defense. According to these stats, 2023 looks comparable to 2016 and 2017. Interestingly, our record in 2016 was 9-4 with 3 W’s by a combined 7 pts, and our record in 2017 was 5-6 with 3 L’s by a combined 8pts. The Duke data help to quantify the improvement not only of the whole team under Elko but also of the Defense under Santucci in 2023.

Now, let’s look at the 2023 season in more detail. The following tables compare the per game performance of GT and Duke against that team’s season average. The more an Offense Ratio is greater than 1.00 and the more a Defense Ratio is less than 1.00 the better.

View attachment 16357

View attachment 16358

I haven’t done much work with these ratio stats, so I don’t really know how to judge their significance. Still, I’ll try.

On offense: The GT data quantify our inconsistency on O. However, if we look at the four games where GT’s Offense Ratio was less than 1.00, we see what appears to be a common factor. In those four games, we lost 12 turnovers (11 interceptions). We had 7 turnovers (5 interceptions) in our other 8 FBS games combined. Our average Off PPD against those 8 opponents was 2.89, which would’ve been good for the #12 Offense if it were for the season.

On Defense: The GT data similarly quantify our inconsistency on D, but they also suggest a significant improvement/better-preparation in D against georgie and UCF. In our games against Wake Forest, Miami, and Virginia, our D gained 13 turnovers (5, 5, and 3), more than half of our turnovers gained vs Power 5 teams. For what it’s worth, our D was tied with Michigan for the most turnovers gained (23) against Power 5 opponents. The Duke data interestingly show what seems to be a consistently strong performance against a nice spectrum of teams over the first half of the season. However, this performance seems to fall off a bit for the second half, and I don’t know if they had significant injuries which might explain this. Also, Duke’s Defense Efficiency doesn’t appear to be as tied to turnovers as ours.

CONCLUSION: I think we have good reasons to believe we will be a much-improved team in 2024. Offense: Most of our much-improved-in-2023 Offense is returning. Still, we will go as Haynes King goes. In 2023, he was famously one of two players (with LSU’s Jayden Daniels) with 2700 passing yards, 600 rushing yards, 25 TD passes and five TD runs. However, King also threw 16 interceptions, compared to Daniels’ 4. At A&M, King averaged 1 interception/game in 2021 and 2022. Defense: Okay, I place our strong reason for optimism here significantly on Santucci whose one year at Duke showed improvement over the previous year which also had Elko as head coach. Also, Duke’s strength over the first half of last season looks legit. We also seemed to fill some gaps well from the transfer portal. On the downside, GT has not had a D ranked inside the top 40 (by my stat) in the last 15 years.

Go Jackets!

This right here is what I love about this board. Thank you so much for the quality content.

Just need to cut the turnovers on offense and be more consistent on D and we'll be a pretty good team.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thinking further about it. My expectations for the defense this year have been very low. We lost a few important players. Our portal replacements aren't clear upgrades (though they could be.) I'm mostly concerned about depth on the DL.

But, your numbers give me a glimmer of optimism.

The game by game from last year quantifies what we saw subjectively. The defense was wildly inconsistent. Which, was the hallmark of the Thacker era. We'd have games where the D looked lock down a against a ranked opponent, then be tissue paper against a bad team the next week. Which shows that we weren't bereft of talent or completely incapable. Just inconsistent, averaging out bad.

Your numbers also support Key's decision to retain Thacker into last season. 2022 ended up as our best ranked D in a decade. Which was mostly in the latter half. So, that lends more confidence to Key's staff decisions as well.

I believe we will have better coaching and play calling. We are clearly capable of being better. Because, we were half the time. If we can strip out the Bowling Green and Ole Miss type days, we could be average. If Santucci can achieve the same 11 spot improvement in the rankings as he did at Duke, we'll have the 'best' D we've had in a decade. Not 'good' but we'll be better, maybe an average P5 defense. Which feels very achievable. Paired with what I expect will be a legitimately good offense. We could have a really solid season.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Not wild at all. Your bar for "scoring at will" must be lower than mine. They scored on 5 of nine drives. Pretty good, but hardly scoring at will. Our D forced two turnovers.

You're right. They didn't really score at will. My perception watching the game live was that our defensive performance was much more luck driven. As you said, half of those stopped drives on turnovers that seem flukey when overall they were rushing at 6.7 yards per attempt.

I'm really hopeful about the defense this year. If we can have any sort of consistent performance on that end, we might be a great team.

slugboy

Staff member
One advantage that Duke had last season was a deep defensive front that all returned from the previous season

Reasons for defensive pessimism:
  • Staff turnover
  • Learning a new scheme
  • Player turnover
  • Lack of depth up front
Reasons for optimism
  • Staff turnover
  • Identified some strong players last season
  • Depth in secondary
  • Hopefully a better scheme
We need LB to pan out (reasonable) and better performance up front. Not a guarantee.

If I were an outsider, I’d think “defense has a shot at being pretty good in 2025”. If they do well this year, tip your hats to the coaches and players—they’d be ahead of schedule.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
One advantage that Duke had last season was a deep defensive front that all returned from the previous season

Reasons for defensive pessimism:
  • Staff turnover
  • Learning a new scheme
  • Player turnover
  • Lack of depth up front
Reasons for optimism
  • Staff turnover
  • Identified some strong players last season
  • Depth in secondary
  • Hopefully a better scheme
We need LB to pan out (reasonable) and better performance up front. Not a guarantee.

If I were an outsider, I’d think “defense has a shot at being pretty good in 2025”. If they do well this year, tip your hats to the coaches and players—they’d be ahead of schedule.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere is (presumably) how unlucky we were with the timing of the Aeneas Peebles transfer from Duke to VT.

11:27: Elko leaves Duke
11/29: Peebles announces intention to transfer
12/4: Transfer Portal opens
12/18: Peebles commits to VT
12/20: Peebles signs with VT
12/22: GT beat UCF in bowl
1/2: Transfer portal closes
1/12: Santucci hired at GT

I‘ve got no inside info on their relationship, but you’ve got to think GT would have been an option for him to follow his DC if timing had worked out better. Peebles is pretty much a unanimous 2nd team all ACC pick heading into 2024. Having him on our DL would completely change the way I’m looking at this defense.