2024 ACC Baseball

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Wake took another one on the chin yesterday losing to UVA 16-10 and are now just 1-3 in conference play. UNC also dropped from the undefeated in conference by losing to Miami 14-1. Seeing these scores makes it seem like maybe our pitching isn't so bad this year.
I turned that game on last night. Wake seemed fully in control, then dropped an infield fly ball with two outs. A 1-run inning turns into an 8-run inning, including walking runs home. They seemed mentally broken.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Heard this on the ACC Baseball podcast.. had to look it up myself to confirm.

In the month of April, the ACC (well... BC/Duke/NC State/WF) is 0-7 against the CAA (Coastal Athletic).
BC lost to Northeastern
Duke lost to William and Mary & Campbell
NC State lost to UNCW & Campbell
WF lost to UNCW & Elon

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Heard this on the ACC Baseball podcast.. had to look it up myself to confirm.

In the month of April, the ACC (well... BC/Duke/NC State/WF) is 0-7 against the CAA (Coastal Athletic).
BC lost to Northeastern
Duke lost to William and Mary & Campbell
NC State lost to UNCW & Campbell
WF lost to UNCW & Elon

LOL, fortunately we weren't on that list. And an under 500 ACC team should make the NCAAT? (tic)

William & Mary has a good baseball team. Gotta go see them play.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
There's a real chance they're a tournament team. Your point stands, but that loss isn't turning out to be the disaster it felt like at the time.
I would say that it was never a "disaster" loss for me, as Northeastern was a top 25 ranked team at the beginning of the season, and was a quality team when we played them. I suspect the "disaster" part from some fans were the games surrounding that game.

My only point was that it is another ACC loss to the CAA.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
D1 baseball (4/24/2024 published) has 9 ACC teams projected for NCAA including GT as one of last 4 in. They have the ACC with 5 #1s (including Clemson, UNC and WF as national seeds), 3 #2s and 1 #3 (yes us a number 3 seed in a Coastal Carolina regional with UGA as #2 seed). Obviously this is stlll way up in the air but certainly more positive than a few weeks ago.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
D1 baseball (4/24/2024 published) has 9 ACC teams projected for NCAA including GT as one of last 4 in. They have the ACC with 5 #1s (including Clemson, UNC and WF as national seeds), 3 #2s and 1 #3 (yes us a number 3 seed in a Coastal Carolina regional with UGA as #2 seed). Obviously this is stlll way up in the air but certainly more positive than a few weeks ago.
Baseball America has 8 ACC teams excluding us as second 4 out. By the way, they have Ga. Southern as last 4 in. 4 #1s (including Clemson, FSU and UNC as national seeds), 3 #2, 1 #3.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Baseball America has 8 ACC teams excluding us as second 4 out. By the way, they have Ga. Southern as last 4 in. 4 #1s (including Clemson, FSU and UNC as national seeds), 3 #2, 1 #3.
BA must be projecting what they THINK will happen moving forward. There is no way that Southern is in if the season ended right now. They have a losing record overall, a .500 conference record, placing them 8th in the Sun Belt.

ETA: Yes, they are projecting how they think the rest of the season will go. Their words are, "At this time of year, the emphasis is still on “projected.” This is not meant to be how the tournament would be seeded if it started tomorrow. Instead, it is meant to illustrate what it might be expected to look like on Selection Monday."

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This week... D1 Baseball had Wake as a national seed (#8) in their field of 64 projections & Ga Tech as a "last 4 in"

As of today... Wake is 9th in the ACC right behind Ga Tech (8th).

Other ACC tidbits...
This was 1st weekend of no sweeps in the ACC.
Still not a single ACC game canceled due to weather.

Last edited:

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
More forecasts have us in vs. out for tournament. But obviously the last 3 weekends are brutal since all 3 teams we are playing are projected to be regional hosts and 2 of the 3 national seeds. We certainly will not sneak in! Depending on which place you look we have played up to 15 (to 17) games against regional host teams. Our RPI is still suffering based on our early schedule but will clearly go up if we can win some based on our last opponents.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The next three weekends will certainly make known how far we have come.
Really the gauntlet started three weeks ago when we took the series against a ranked VA Tech then followed it up with a series win AT top ten UVA and followed that up with a series win against Miami after dropping the Friday game. In two of those series we easily could have had a sweep with a break or two. Sure we finish up against three top ranked teams but it's not like we haven't already been winning against some pretty good teams. That being said, who knows how we finish up but at least we are trending in the right direction.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Really the gauntlet started three weeks ago when we took the series against a ranked VA Tech then followed it up with a series win AT top ten UVA and followed that up with a series win against Miami after dropping the Friday game. In two of those series we easily could have had a sweep with a break or two. Sure we finish up against three top ranked teams but it's not like we haven't already been winning against some pretty good teams. That being said, who knows how we finish up but at least we are trending in the right direction.
Agree completely

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Very well said.

Uva and Miami were very lucky to get out without being swept.
I have no clue how this season ends but the gauntlet has been going on for weeks.

Acc is VERY good this year.

I wouldn't be shocked to see at least 3-4 acc teams in Omaha.