2023 Holiday Break - GT in the Diamond Head Classic

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Movement is also designed to get a shooter into a rhythm prior to the shot and allow them to step into the shot as well as, often, getting the defender to contest on the side opposite from the shooters shooting hand. But even disregarding that point, I agree if the shot is actually an open one, and an example of that would be the 9th shot by Kyle. Two more examples are the 16th and 17th shots. The difference, to me, is that on Reeves' first shot the defender was still able to contest and Reeves had to step away from the pass to create the space to shoot. Even so, I still counted it as among the good looks. But the problem is those are typically the best threes we are getting.

But to you're #2 point. Nevada was the 11th poor three point shooting game in a row. Does that not indicate that the quality of shots we are generating for who we have shooting them is an issue to you? Do you really believe it's just 11 straight games of getting good looks and just shooting poorly?
I wasn’t really trying to interject my opinion in between what the two of you were discussing, as the shot-by-shot was too much for me without going back and watching and then comparing. I was just pointing out that movement isn’t always necessary if you’re open in your range.

I think Wacie is about the only spot up 3 we’re getting consistency from. I know opponents are working really hard to make Kelly work for his shot and they’ve been successful. It’ll be interesting to see how this team evolves as the season moves on. I think the 3pt percentage is going to go up drastically.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone keeps dumping on Kelly for his poor three point shooting which is obvious. I just want to give the guy credit for drastically improving his game in other areas this year. He is hitting the boards harder than he ever has and is a big reason why we are having such success on the boards this year. His effort on defense is a drastic improvement from the past couple of years. I haven't taken the time to look up his steals for the year but watching all of the games, he is getting his hands on the ball much more frequently and is way more disruptive than he has ever been. He also is not just settling for the three all the time. He is driving to the basket much more than in the past and is finishing at the rim. And finally, and this is where I think CDS has had a great influence, he is distributing the ball off of those drives and not forcing bad shots like he had a tendency to do last year.

So yeah, his shooting numbers are way down, but the guy has found a way to contribute in other ways which is why he continues to get the minutes. Plus opposing teams continue to make him a focal point of their defense which opens up opportunities for players like Reeves and Ndongo. Without Kelly on the floor I think Ndongo would be seeing a lot more double teams in the low post.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everyone keeps dumping on Kelly for his poor three point shooting which is obvious. I just want to give the guy credit for drastically improving his game in other areas this year. He is hitting the boards harder than he ever has and is a big reason why we are having such success on the boards this year. His effort on defense is a drastic improvement from the past couple of years. I haven't taken the time to look up his steals for the year but watching all of the games, he is getting his hands on the ball much more frequently and is way more disruptive than he has ever been. He also is not just settling for the three all the time. He is driving to the basket much more than in the past and is finishing at the rim. And finally, and this is where I think CDS has had a great influence, he is distributing the ball off of those drives and not forcing bad shots like he had a tendency to do last year.

So yeah, his shooting numbers are way down, but the guy has found a way to contribute in other ways which is why he continues to get the minutes. Plus opposing teams continue to make him a focal point of their defense which opens up opportunities for players like Reeves and Ndongo. Without Kelly on the floor I think Ndongo would be seeing a lot more double teams in the low post.
No dumping. His shot is off, he knows it and so does everyone else. He's also a shooter, so he'll shoot his way out of it. It's going to take as long as it does. He's a great shooter, so it will come. It seems he listened to what he was told by the NBA and worked on that. I suspect he'll pull it all together during conference play.