2023 General NCAA Football News

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread. If so, Mods please merge.

Sounds like Pat Fitzgerald and Northwestern Football may be going through some things soon:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Whole thing sounds….odd. It was players hazing younger players. No coaches or staff involved. The “sexual acts” were… somewhat odd and marginal, such as forcing the young player to stand naked in the shower and turn round and round so he’d bump into other players. I don’t know that I would call that sexual, per se.

Little doubt that Fitzgerald will be paid tons. A six month investigation found no evidence that he knew about the hazing. He was fired because he “should have known” (or more likely they believed he knew but could not prove it).

AD and President held a team meeting to tell the team about the firing. One was traveling and didn’t bother to show. The other appeared by zoom, spoke briefly and took no questions. The team seems VERY unhappy

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
@ChicagobasedJacket interested to hear your perspective/thoughts on Jim Phillips being named a defendant in the lawsuit today

Shotgun approach. He was the AD (Vice President of Athletics and Recreation). If you want $$ from the school, you have to go after everyone. If you knew Jim, you'd know this is horsecrap. I'd bet Fitzgerald was just a scapegoat too. This is a shame.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Shotgun approach. He was the AD (Vice President of Athletics and Recreation). If you want $$ from the school, you have to go after everyone. If you knew Jim, you'd know this is horsecrap. I'd bet Fitzgerald was just a scapegoat too. This is a shame.
Ah, I knew someone here was a friend of his but forgot it was you and not @ChicagobasedJacket

Everything you’ve said about Phillips leads me to believe this is indeed a shame.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Looks like a good spot for this....

Edit... the general football news looked like a good thread until I realized it was actually a NW / P Fitzgerald thread... sorry

Last edited:

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
@ChicagobasedJacket interested to hear your perspective/thoughts on Jim Phillips being named a defendant in the lawsuit today

I don’t have any insight but it’s probably safe to say he was wrapped up into the suit because he’s the former AD. Total speculation, I doubt Jim knew of the hazing since he was described as more hands off with his teams while at NU.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Was watching the Army - ULM game yesterday. They talked about the discussion they had with Monken and the new rules changes. Evidentally, the NCAA took away the advantage of cut blocking so Monken had to adjust his offense. It did not go well for Army yesterday, and will be interesting to watch going forward. It's really a shame the NCAA took away something that gave certain teams an even playing field:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Help Wanted.

I typically go to ESPN app for my CFB "scoreboard"

Curious on experience or thoughts if there's a better go-to for quick look at scores & eventual dive into status of any game?
I really don’t like the ESPN app. It’s clunky and sometimes it doesn’t load for me anyway. Plus, most of the time it only shows top 25 scores, and you have to manually select the All-FBS option to see every score.

I normally just Google “college football scores” and click on the CBS Sports link that says “NCAA Football Scores”. To me that’s the best way for just a quick check-in on what’s going on around the country. They give you all the scores to every game with a clean layout sorted by kickoff time. If you click the ESPN link it’ll make you load into the app which takes time, and then it might not even take you to the CFB scores page.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t like the ESPN app. It’s clunky and sometimes it doesn’t load for me anyway. Plus, most of the time it only shows top 25 scores, and you have to manually select the All-FBS option to see every score.

I normally just Google “college football scores” and click on the CBS Sports link that says “NCAA Football Scores”. To me that’s the best way for just a quick check-in on what’s going on around the country. They give you all the scores to every game with a clean layout sorted by kickoff time. If you click the ESPN link it’ll make you load into the app which takes time, and then it might not even take you to the CFB scores page.
Much appreciated. Early returns... I owe you a beer. Thanks.