2011 Clemson game

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The awesome thing is, I'm pretty confident this GT team is better than that one, and I also think that Clemson team is better than the current one. We'll see what happens on the field

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The awesome thing is, I'm pretty confident this GT team is better than that one, and I also think that Clemson team is better than the current one. We'll see what happens on the field
Yessss. The weird thing is that the Tiggers don't seem to realize it. I think they'll be a challenge through the air, but what they euphemistically refer to as a "ground game" is nowhere near their 2011 outfit, even with Addington out.

I don't know if we'll win - they're as good as we are on paper - but I think it will be pretty close.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Take a look at the play around the 1:20 mark on the video. Tevin fakes the pitch, gets the defender to bite, and tucks it in for a gain. Seems like I saw this several times from TW over the years. JT should add that trick to his arsenal...

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Take a look at the play around the 1:20 mark on the video. Tevin fakes the pitch, gets the defender to bite, and tucks it in for a gain. Seems like I saw this several times from TW over the years. JT should add that trick to his arsenal...
Thomas has done some of this but I don't think he has yet to fully develop the move. In part there are likely less times where he needs to utilize it given his speed. He has made a couple of nice pump fakes to sell play action passes a bit longer in a couple spots or get a safety to bite before throwing a route over their heads. Thomas also is already close to Tevin in terms of selling the dive and hiding keeps.

He still could improve in what you mention and in selling the keep when he actually gave on the dive. I also am glad to see him get out of bounds and avoid taking unnecessary contact but Tevin was a zen master at getting himself tackled "lightly" as in rolling with punches and landing soft. I do hope Tevin and Thomas still stay in contact and he can give him advice on all such nuances of the QB position in this offense.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
All I can say is Blitz PRESSURE, contain and press coverage - they can't beat us deep. No worries at all for me on O.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Thomas has done some of this but I don't think he has yet to fully develop the move. In part there are likely less times where he needs to utilize it given his speed. He has made a couple of nice pump fakes to sell play action passes a bit longer in a couple spots or get a safety to bite before throwing a route over their heads. Thomas also is already close to Tevin in terms of selling the dive and hiding keeps.

He still could improve in what you mention and in selling the keep when he actually gave on the dive. I also am glad to see him get out of bounds and avoid taking unnecessary contact but Tevin was a zen master at getting himself tackled "lightly" as in rolling with punches and landing soft. I do hope Tevin and Thomas still stay in contact and he can give him advice on all such nuances of the QB position in this offense.

I agree on the JT play action pump fakes. He's getting better with the other stuff, but it will take time. TW had been starting for almost two years in that video above. More game reps will only improve JT.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I agree on the JT play action pump fakes. He's getting better with the other stuff, but it will take time. TW had been starting for almost two years in that video above. More game reps will only improve JT.
Right.

I do not think a comparison between Thomas and Washington is at all detrimental to either one. Noticing those points at which Thomas still can improve to catch up with Tevin actually further proves to my mind how good a QB Tevin was at and for Tech. When you then compare based on natural athletic abilities and see that Thomas clearly has much more ability and potential then it again just shows the extent to which Tevin was able to maximize his potential. I am very pleased with both these QBs from Bama, and it will be fun to see what the next two such guys bring to the program.