1st Game est. PPD (too early)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For those not familiar with my estimated PPD stat, it only counts scrimmage scores and typical drives. All TD's are worth 7 pts, regardless of P.A.T.

Georgia Tech had 2 rushing TDs, 1 Passing TD, 3 FG-att (0 for 3), 3 punts, 2 failed 4th-dns, and 1 turnover. So, we had 12 drives for 21 points, or 1.75 PPD.

NIU had 1 rushing TD, 2 Passing TDs, 0 FG-att (0 for 0), 7 punts, 0 failed 4th-dns, and 1 turnover. So, they had 11 drives for 21 pts, or 1.91 PPD.

Even if we don't count our last missed FG-attempt as a drive, we only matched them. However, the value of these statistics is in comparisons with other teams.

I typically only calculate these stats for Pwr5 opponents. An OffPPDvPwr5 of 1.75 would be bad, it's really bad against a MAC team, not to mention a MAC team that's been bad over the last few years. A DefPPDvPwr5 would be good, but it's not very good against what we would expect from NIU.

For example, NIU played 3 Pwr5 opponents in 2019 (none last year, and they were 0-6). In 2019 against Pwr5 opponents, they allowed on average 3.15 PPD which compares to the 1.75 they allowed us. They scored on average 1.08 ppd which compares to the 1.91 they scored on us.

We knew this game wasn't good. Here's one way of looking at how not-good it was.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
ESPN doesn’t have our drive data available for some reason and I wasn’t going to rewatch the game to calculate our PPD. Hopefully this game was just some first game jitters and a defense that wasn’t ready for the hurry up week 1.