Your First GT QB

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I’m surprised at the stat back & forth Goose’s name hasn’t come up. He’s the TW of O’Leary’s tenure. Dude just brought it every game.

It's probably because most of the people who were watching goose started on Joe Ham (or earlier) and this thread is about the first GT QB you saw. Goose very much was a great QB

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I guess Reggie Ball. But my real formative years had Josh Nesbitt at the helm. Dude was toughhhhh. Hate when he broke his arm at VT in 2010.

We had all the momentum and were about to pull one out at Blackburg. He broke his arm after throwing a pick and the game changed after that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The Young Lefthander Kim King was QB in the first Tech game I remember, the '65 Gator Bowl (saw it on TV - a 31-21 W over Texas Tech).
But the first one I saw in person was Jim Stevens standing in for Eddie McAshan in the Tech - Ugag game in '72, in Athens.
The Jackets lost that one, but Stevens afterward heroically led the team to a 31-30 W over Iowa State in the '72 Liberty Bowl, a performance for which he was named Liberty Bowl MVP.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
Kim King. I was 5th grade. Got to pass around with him a few years later, in his backyard, summer after HS. That was cool.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Young Lefthander Kim King was QB in the first Tech game I remember, the '65 Gator Bowl (saw it on TV - a 31-21 W over Texas Tech).
But the first one I saw in person was Jim Stevens standing in for Eddie McAshan in the Tech - Ugag game in '72, in Athens.
The Jackets lost that one, but Stevens afterward heroically led the team to a 31-30 W over Iowa State in the '72 Liberty Bowl, a performance for which he was named Liberty Bowl MVP.
Same history, same games.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, for me it was Billy Lothridge. Laws, that was awhile ago. I was in high school and started watching "Vespers" as a lot of people called Bobby Dodd's Sunday film review. I loved Lothridge. He did everything, If ever there was someone who deserved the Heisman, it was him. I suppose it was hard for others to evaluate a player who was that good at everything. The only comparable player I can think of is Jim Thorpe, but Thorpe was legitimate Super Hero and there has never been his equal. Billy came pretty close, however.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Charlie Dudish, for a short while. Being the #1 recruit in America in 1968 and played freshman football, Playing varsity starting QB as a sophomore, he started the first two games in the 1969 season. He then got hurt in the 3rd game. Clemson won that game, their first win at Grant Field since 1945. He left school in the spring of 1970 and then signed a baseball contract with the Padres. He got hurt again and then signed with the Braves and played for Hoyt Wilhelm in Greenwood SC. He found religion during that time and became a minister. Later he founded a roofing business in Lilburn, GA. He was inducted into the inaugural Georgia High School football Hall of Fame in 2022, along with Georgia Tech's Clint Castleberry, Bill Curry, Larry Morris, and George Maloof. Charlie, Brent Cunningham, and I first met at the 1968 Georgia High School All Star football and basketball games before going to Tech..

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
John Dewberry for me but Joe Hamilton is my favorite Ga Tech player I loved that dudes play. The Goose was also one of my favorite. After next year I’d love to have King at the top baby 😂
I just noticed this thread started in 2021 I gotta get better at this lol

Last edited:

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Kelley was first but the one, but I was so happy to see sign Damarius Bilbo really would have loved to see Ralph Friedgen coach him at QB .
I’m 56 years old and i started liking Penn St in 1975 and Ga Tech in the early 1980’s so I’ve seen great coaches and I mean great coaches over the years and Ralph Friedgen might be the best coach I’ve ever seen on the sidelines. Ralph Friedgen doesn’t take a backseat to anybody the dude is that good. Just look at his track record and how bad the teams were when he showed up rather it’s being head coach or the OC. Man I miss watching Ralph standing on the sidelines, it was beautiful thing watching him and O’Leary.