Your First GT QB

RiverMD

Georgia Tech Fan
first football game I saw on TV as a child was Tennessee Vs GT in 1956 and at the time GT was #2 in the nation and Tenn. was # 3--Gt QB was Wade Mitchell and Tenn QB was Johnny Majors--unfortunately, Tenn won 6-0--only loss for GT that year.

AKABuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Charlie Dudish was the first GT quarterback I remember and the first one I ever met.

On my first ever date I was invited to the young lady’s church. One of the first people there who I was introduced to was Charlie Dudish. After church, I was able to chat with him some. I continued to date the young lady for a few more weeks. Even though I tried to get her to go with me to a movie, school event, etc she only wanted to go to church with me. After a few weeks I stopped asking her out. I don’t know if it was her or her parents not wanting us to go further but I suspect it was just the fact that I wasn’t a member of their church.

Fast forward many ,years, I was at my daughters softball game.I heard one of the opposing players announced as XXX Dudish. I looked over to the other stands and I see the former girlfriend with Charlie Dudish. I think it worked out well for both of us.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I’m 56 years old and i started liking Penn St in 1975 and Ga Tech in the early 1980’s so I’ve seen great coaches and I mean great coaches over the years and Ralph Friedgen might be the best coach I’ve ever seen on the sidelines. Ralph Friedgen doesn’t take a backseat to anybody the dude is that good. Just look at his track record and how bad the teams were when he showed up rather it’s being head coach or the OC. Man I miss watching Ralph standing on the sidelines, it was beautiful thing watching him and O’Leary.
I agree, they were quite a team.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
Sean Jones was my first Tech QB, I didn’t follow Tech football until I came to school in 1992. That was a tough year - started ranked, had some good wins and then lost to FSU and it kinda dumped our season. And then we sucked for three years, so Joe Ham was the first GT QB I was a huge fan of.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
first football game I saw on TV as a child was Tennessee Vs GT in 1956 and at the time GT was #2 in the nation and Tenn. was # 3--Gt QB was Wade Mitchell and Tenn QB was Johnny Majors--unfortunately, Tenn won 6-0--only loss for GT that year.
Coach Dodd was on record saying that might have been his best team.

Oddly, my first game was UT at GT in 1966 with King, Snow, Baynham and Co. Tech won that one 6-0 on two Bunky Henry FGs. Great game and I was hooked.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
As a younger kid, I remember the Goose years way more, but I became a fan during the last two years of the Joe Hamilton tenure. My cousin went to Tech during the Joe Hamilton years and always spoke highly of him. These stories led me to root for Tech even though I grew up in the heart of NC/Duke/Wake/State country.

H. King reminds me of the Goose (in a good way of course)… just throwing that out there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Oddly, my first game was UT at GT in 1966 with King, Snow, Baynham and Co. Tech won that one 6-0 on two Bunky Henry FGs. Great game and I was hooked.
As a 65 freshman the year before I was in awe of those guys for my 4 years. We never best uga. The 6-3 Gt Tennesse game was one of the greatest I have ever seen. Tennessee had lots of fans and we had many young fans as well. The roar never stopped. I think Dodd had King quick kick to pin them deep for a late winning field goal.

The new King reminds me of King's grit.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a really tough loss. I could barely pick it up on radio from Charlotte. Crucial play IIRC was an intermediate pass from single wing tailback Majors that went for a long gain when Tech's two best defensive backs (Mitchell and Rotenberry) collided and took themselves out of the play.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
first qb for me was Kim King. I went through 3 coaches in my 4 years at GT. and scheme dramatically changed with Pepper coming. But he led GT to a win over UGA in a pouring rain in Athens in 1974. GT was way ahead at the half and me and about 5,000 GT fans were the only ones left in the stands of a 34,-14 blowout

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

I always thought the '56 team was Dodd's best and also thought the '51 team was actually a better team than the '52 NC team but they slipped up and had a tie I think it was with Duke. Duke had really good teams back in that era. That period from 1950 until about '57 was the best era of GTFB ever IMO. In that period we had a stretch where we went 33?? games undefeated.