Your First GT QB

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Dudish, for a short while. Being the #1 recruit in America in 1968 and played freshman football, Playing varsity starting QB as a sophomore, he started the first two games in the 1969 season. He then got hurt in the 3rd game. Clemson won that game, their first win at Grant Field since 1945. He left school in the spring of 1970 and then signed a baseball contract with the Padres. He got hurt again and then signed with the Braves and played for Hoyt Wilhelm in Greenwood SC. He found religion during that time and became a minister. Later he founded a roofing business in Lilburn, GA. He was inducted into the inaugural Georgia High School football Hall of Fame in 2022, along with Georgia Tech's Clint Castleberry, Bill Curry, Larry Morris, and George Maloof. Charlie, Brent Cunningham, and I first met at the 1968 Georgia High School All Star football and basketball games before going to Tech..
I still remember when Charlie almost pulled off one of the biggest upsets in Tech history. Tech was playing at Southern Cal and had the lead with just minutes left in the game. Southern Cal was #1 in the nation and was undefeated that year. Even Al Ciraldo sounded heartbroken over the radio when USC pulled off a miracle comeback.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Donnie Davis… circa B*** L****…. No slight to Davis!
Didn’t grow up in GA and wasn’t much of a college football fan as a kid. My first GT game was fall of my freshman year.
I also got out before Joe Hamilton really hit stride in the 98 season. That’s usually how I time things. :D
That said, I remember 95-97 being SOO much fun. Environment totally changed and you could feel it building…

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Donnie Davis… circa B*** L****…. No slight to Davis!
Didn’t grow up in GA and wasn’t much of a college football fan as a kid. My first GT game was fall of my freshman year.
I also got out before Joe Hamilton really hit stride in the 98 season. That’s usually how I time things. :D
That said, I remember 95-97 being SOO much fun. Environment totally changed and you could feel it building…
Donnie was the worst treated QB in my life time. The coach at the time should have a lifetime ban of living within 100 miles of the campus. Make it 500 miles.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
First game ever at Tech as a rat! QB was McAshan!! Here’s the summary from Wikipedia!

McAshan's first career start was on September 12, 1970, against South Carolina. His start marked the second time that an African American had ever started at quarterback for a major Southeastern university and McAshan did not disappoint. He rallied Tech with a fourth quarter deficit, defeating the Gamecocks 23-20 with two late touchdown drives.

RiverMD

Georgia Tech Fan
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
Wade Mitchell

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I came to a game in 2006 I think, before I cared about CFB at all. So mine would be Ball. But the first game I was paying attention to is Nesbitt in 2010.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Mike Kelly. The man could take some punishment and keep going. I think Lawrence Taylor just hit him again for old times sake. We weren't far remove from the wishbone when he started. That sounds vaguely familiar.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Lotheridge for me, who was drafted as a punter/place kicker by the Cowboys and won punting titles with the Facons in 1967 and '68, and all pro honors. He also started at safety for the Falcons in 1968 with 3 interceptions.