Time for a coaching Change

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The d played ok. But vt is not good on o at all. I did like some of the d calls roof made. I also thought some were typical head scratchers. Same can be said for paul on o playcalls. Some were huh? I do not think gt put together a good 3phase consistent gameplan yet again.

Paul is the hc. So he is accountable. But he is not the issue. Some of his staff needs to be changed. If after this year he doesnt do that then he is too the issue.

The fact is some of our worst plays were veterans that we have seen perform way better. This says alot more than just talent. Its both a coaching and player issue.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There are short passes in our offense....it's one of the few things that worked after qtr 1...:banghead:

They were there yesterday, yes. But we'll go 6-7 games sometimes where those same plays are open and we seem to not call them.

Might have been a good call to execute one of those screens when it was 3rd and forever at the end of the game. It's a great play call when your pass blocking is as bad as ours is

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have ourselves in another mass graduation in one area.
Last year wr, bb, ab and this year all cb and safties graduate this year?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The d played ok. But vt is not good on o at all. I did like some of the d calls roof made. I also thought some were typical head scratchers. Same can be said for paul on o playcalls. Some were huh? I do not think gt put together a good 3phase consistent gameplan yet again.

Paul is the hc. So he is accountable. But he is not the issue. Some of his staff needs to be changed. If after this year he doesnt do that then he is too the issue.

The fact is some of our worst plays were veterans that we have seen perform way better. This says alot more than just talent. Its both a coaching and player issue.
This is not original with me; I just can't remember who posted it. But it makes sense. This is the season that the class of '13 would have been juniors or redshirt sophomores. But half or slightly more than half of that recruiting class left or got cut from the program. That is a huge gap in experience all over the field we might reasonably have expected in 2013.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have just now gotten back to my computer after a day's work to read this thread, that I suspected surely would exist, despite not being Nostradamus. Like everybody, I am frustrated by the loss. It was ANOTHER contest we had a perfectly good chance to win, but failed to do so.

I hear phrases like "being held accountable" and so forth being thrown around like confetti. What does that mean exactly in this context? 50% of ALL teams in CFB contests end up on the losing side BY DESIGN, and each of them need to be held accountable? To what extent? The way it sounds around here sometimes, every losing team should relieve its current coach of their duties immediately because losing is, after all, unacceptable.

Having been a coach myself for years and having seen things go horribly wrong many times for longish stretches, despite my very best efforts to provide what I thought was a quality coaching product, I sympathize to a great degree with our current coach. What I ask of each of you, who may be of the opinion that CPJ be let go, please, at least, attach your position to his ENTIRE coaching resume at GT and not just the misfortunes of an 8 game stretch, or shorter. Failure to do so just makes you look reactionary and borderline immature in my eyes, though I truly hate to say it that way. I am willing to listen to you. He has a record. It is easily producible. If you feel his full record is unacceptable, then so be it, make the passioned argument to the best of your ability and then state your remedy.

Believe it or not, there could come a time in my mind when asking CPJ (or any coach) to leave would be appropriate. I am, after all, loyal to my Yellow Jackets first and no individual. For me, it was obvious B!(( L&#!$ needed to go and there was no doubt in my mind.

The last 8 years have been far from perfect but they have been far from horrible too.

GTFLETCH

Banned
WTF are you talking about? The team has suffered a MASSIVE number of injuries to MULTIPLE positions which has forced them to play NUMERIOUS true Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen, and even Non-Scholarship players. In SPITE of these inexperienced players being forced into action (not to mention not as physically developed as we prefer), we have had a reasonable chance to win every game we played EXCEPT against Clemson, which is currently ranked #1 in the Country, and I'm including Notre Dame because their 50 yard TD pass should have been called back for offensive interference, our TD run by Justin Thomas should have been valid as their was no penalty, and we should have made two easy FG's that we didn't (we lost by 8 - take away ND's 7, give US 7 plus 6 then that's a difference of 20 points in OUR favor).

So I guess what happened at OHIO STATE in 2014... 3rd string QB went on to win a NC and Ohio State OC and coaches made some adjustments for him is not to expected on the FLATS by the GT OC!! I mean our Oline only lost one player from last year our QB is returning..... Our Defense played well last night, however our OC who is also our HC never made any changes or tweaks to the offense that would allow us to win the game.... He was out coached again... So yes despite the injuries I would expect that the OC at GT and the HC would make some sort of an adjustment (IN game///after the five game losing streak) that would allow us to have a chance to win on the offensive side of the ball.... The offense lost that game last night and that falls on the OC!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So I guess what happened at OHIO STATE in 2014... 3rd string QB went on to win a NC and Ohio State OC and coaches made some adjustments for him is not to expected on the FLATS by the GT OC!! I mean our Oline only lost one player from last year our QB is returning..... Our Defense played well last night, however our OC who is also our HC never made any changes or tweaks to the offense that would allow us to win the game.... He was out coached again... So yes despite the injuries I would expect that the OC at GT and the HC would make some sort of an adjustment (IN game///after the five game losing streak) that would allow us to have a chance to win on the offensive side of the ball.... The offense lost that game last night and that falls on the OC!!!
More capital letters and exclamation points, please. Nothing like 'em to sell a case.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
You are so smart! Perfect comparison to Ohio State. Both schools are similar in talent up and down their respective rosters. I might even give Ohio State the edge in academic superiority - they're right up there with Stanford!

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS"-Cardale Jones

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, I take off for a week, and when I come back, I find a thread that reads like standard ST fare. Cue 'Twilight Zone' theme.
Glad I was unable to watch the VT game - sounds like we went Pepperidge Farm.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan

I would like to see your response to boomer's post.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I have not read this topic, I just came on to tell what I think based on the heading. I am not going to ruin my day be hearing some stupid reasons to fire CPJ. There is no other Coach in college football who will do a better job here than CPJ. If you think it is time to fire him, you are a total idiot! That's my vent!!!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So I'm in the crowd that supports CPJ. I do not want him to be fired. However, I don't understand why it has to be one way or the other. Why does everyone think that you either want him fired, or you think that he's doing everything right? Why can't there be an in between?

Like I said, I don't want him fired...but I do not think he's done a very good job of coaching this year's team.

I understand that players ultimately make the plays that win or lose games, so there's only so much that a coach can do. But look, doing the same thing on offense that has failed for eight weeks in a row and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. If players consistently can't execute the plays you're calling after that long, you should either 1) introduce plays that they can execute, or 2) put someone in the game that can. You'd have a hard time convincing me either both #1 and #2 are impossible...and if they are, then boy are we in trouble for the next few years.

One of the things I loved about Friedgen was how he would adjust his offense to the opponent and then also adjust in-game if the plan wasn't working. If a team came out and stopped us from doing what we planned to do, he would drawn up different plays during the game to get something going. Right now, we aren't really doing either of those.

Am I suggesting that we abandon the spread option and go to a shotgun set? No...not at all. But maybe utilize those screens a little bit more that have worked pretty much every time we've run them. The only time I remember that play getting blown up was the FSU game on the tipped interception. Honestly, I don't have the answers, but our coach should be able to find some, and he has not done a very good job of it this year, IMHO. Our team has enough talent even with the injuries to be much better than 3-7 right now. Hopefully next year will be different, but if it's not then I will start to re-evaluate the body of work over the past several years...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When has platooning QBs ever been successful....in any scheme???

Very good question. I agree it generally isn't done. I attribute that to the pro set offense that most teams run not needing to platoon QBs since the QB performance level stays about the same.

Someone who followed football when the option was big can answer this better than I for our scheme. But 40 years ago there was a lot less substitution at all positions than there is now. I think Spurrier used multiple QBs in a game a good bit and was successful.

For us, putting in Byerly for short yardage power runs over JT made a lot of sense. In that case Byerly was probably more likely to get a few yards with 11 in the box.

By the way back to the OP, firing CPJ is silly. After the year is over, I'll update the GT coaches power rankings and CPJ will be tied for our fourth best (on average) with only Dodd, Heisman and Alexander clearly better.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
You are dead on @bke1984 ! I think CPJ is a good coach for GT...no idea if best but definitely worthy of keeping at this point. That said, this season has been an awful season with few, very few, high points. To remain the right coach for GT, CPJ needs to do something to make next year more like 2014 than 2015. I have no idea what nor does anyone posting here or we'd be standing on a sideline somewhere making multi-million dollar salary.

CPJ is a good coach his record everywhere he has been as an example. Changing players is hard for a stubborn coach, I know. When your team is struggling it is difficult to get out of your comfort zone that is why so many coaches "get run out of town". All I say is shake things up a bit, hey we are not winning so try some different things I do not want to see out coach be run out of town.