Radio Show

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts:

I could never understand why some were worried about Gotsis leaving early. What did you think we had in him? I like him and I think he is a huge help, but he is far from All ACC. What were you seeing? He is a good player and he is growing, but there are a lot of DTs out there who dominate, who will end up in the NFL. Don't get me wrong. I like him and I am glad he is ours, but lets be real about him being the upper echelon of college DT talent that is required to leave early.

Worrying about next year's offense? Why? Smelter is a guy who will be really hard to replace. We got lucky with him. However, the better the offense is run in the ground game, the less dominant the WRs will need to be. We will be fine. Waller is having his best year, but he is just getting to the point that he is an asset. We will be fine here with the guys we have in the program now and coming in next year.

At OL, we are developing very well. Have any of you really watched Devine play closely? He is coming along fine. In some aspects, like getting low enough on scoop blocks, or releasing deep into the second level, he struggles a little. But man, he blows people up right in front of him and pass protects really well. We will be fine at OG. I will miss Shaq, but even he knows GT will be left in good hands at OG after his departure. The rest are back and we are getting deeper.

In terms of running backs, I love them all, but do we have any irreplaceable difference makers in the bunch? They are all good guys but they are serviceable non-descript type of players. They are system guys who are unselfish team players who have learned to block. Laskey, Zenon, Days, and Perkins will all go pro in something other than sports, like me, and God bless them for their contributions. However, finding guys to fill the shoes will be more about attitude and unselfishness rather than absolute talent.

We are good on offense because of the system, the chemistry, and the one catalyst at QB who will be back for years. The offense will be good in 2015. Write it down.

On defense, I am far less convinced. We can talk all we want about JHD and KW being the elixir, but until we see it happen, there is a pretty big deficit there that needs to be made up for. If you need something to worry about in order to feel whole, worry about that.

"We are good on offense because of the system, the chemistry, and the one catalyst at QB who will be back for years. The offense will be good in 2015. Write it down."

Amen, amen!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Your hear people talk about how our DT recruits are going to waltz in and make a huge difference. One of them might play and I doubt he starts. Trenches between HS and college is huge and takes the most time.

We really have to hope Whitehead & Simmons develop physically and JHD is the real deal. Also Kallon becomes a decent DT to go with Gotsis.
And Gamble.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
For those of you concerned about JHD's weight, stop. I saw him up close and he is built like a tank with mostly muscle. Whitehead, JHD, Gotsis, and a bigger/faster Freeman sounds like a really good d-line to me!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Natural attrition I can handle, it happens to everyone. The factories hedge against it by oversigning. We don't go that route and I'm proud of that even though it puts us further behind the 8 ball than we already are.

Unnatural attrition is much harder to swallow like what happened last offseason.

No need not to sign all we are allowed to however.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No need not to sign all we are allowed to however.
I disagree. If you a program that doesn't oversign, what do you do when a commit bails at the 11th hour? Maybe you have somebody worthwhile waiting in the wings for just such a chance, but maybe not. Even if you did, it'd be somebody you're flipping from a "lesser" program. Do you sign a kid you really don't want just to make numbers? I think we'll sign our full allotment this year.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
For those of you concerned about JHD's weight, stop. I saw him up close and he is built like a tank with mostly muscle. Whitehead, JHD, Gotsis, and a bigger/faster Freeman sounds like a really good d-line to me!
Clearly the d-line should at least be better and deeper which alone would be nice.