Radio Show

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Mason, Smelter, and Laskey (in that order) will definitely be tough to replace. AB perimeter blocking will also be a concern with all of the newness at that position. I'm probably most concerned about losing Mason and Laskey. The effectiveness of the dive is one of the things that has made our offense run like a machine this year. We have to hope Shamire can continue to develop and be a great one himself.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Every year we have a lot of angst about our ABacks - who is going to step up, who is going to replace a superstar, etc. Every year we have seen one or two step up. I believe we are going to be ok at Aback. I love that we have Leggett and the quality of our recruits for BBack (Quaide and MLB!). If we get some EE's like Quaide coming in we will be ok. MLB could be our freshman that comes in from the get go and gives us great minutes. JeT will make any of our backs better because of his efficiency, talent, etc. As far as the WR's, I like our redshirts, I like Summers, I love our recruits Philbott, Singleton, Howell. I really believe some of this talent will step up. Will B and B Morgan are the type of talent that will step in and give us excellent minutes next year on the OL. For the first time in a while I feel good about the talent stepping up next year. Other teams have freshman step up and I think we will have a few out of this class that will do the same.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And I agree with Eric. D is the biggest concern. Getting JHD and Whitehead will be immediate, experienced help. The experience our young DB's, our juniors are getting will help. Excellent recruits Sellers, Glanton, Henderson, could help. Can our D schemes get stronger to use our more experienced talent better?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why I'm not worried about our Offense next year:
1) our OL will still be very good and deeper. I'm no expert, but I think Freddie Burden is the best center that we've had, and Finch and Bedford were great.
2) Love Laskey, but I think our OL will help any B-Back out a lot; the question-mark is the preparedness for getting hit almost every play -- I think we'll have guys who can do it
3) At A-Back, we have Snoddy and Andrews coming back plus some guys currently being red-shirted. I won't be surprised to see Snoddy and Andrews as an extremely dynamic pair of A-Backs
4) It seems many may be overlooking Summers as a potential stand-out at WR. We already know that he's a reliable blocker, but he adjusts to routes and catches the ball pretty well. I still actually like him more than Waller. We have several good options for other WR that I'm not worried.

If our D gets the bump from JHD and KW that we expect, we may be ready for the rough schedule.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
yep, the DEF will still be a big problem.I would not bet a lot than both Whitehead and JHD will be playing for sure. and they are both unproven at their positions really if they do
If you think JT is getting hit this yr wait till next yr when the outside exp goes.but--Still better than the DEF.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i'm not one bit worried about our offense, as long as we have JT and a good O-line, i feel confident that CPJ can get it done Coaching the replacement backs and recievers up and scheming around our talents.

rodney

Georgia Tech Fan
We have never had a huge drop off in offense since cpj has been at tech it's always been defence that makes the difference cpj needs a good defence and this thing would take off

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Why I'm not worried about our Offense next year:
1) our OL will still be very good and deeper. I'm no expert, but I think Freddie Burden is the best center that we've had, and Finch and Bedford were great.
2) Love Laskey, but I think our OL will help any B-Back out a lot; the question-mark is the preparedness for getting hit almost every play -- I think we'll have guys who can do it
3) At A-Back, we have Snoddy and Andrews coming back plus some guys currently being red-shirted. I won't be surprised to see Snoddy and Andrews as an extremely dynamic pair of A-Backs
4) It seems many may be overlooking Summers as a potential stand-out at WR. We already know that he's a reliable blocker, but he adjusts to routes and catches the ball pretty well. I still actually like him more than Waller. We have several good options for other WR that I'm not worried.

If our D gets the bump from JHD and KW that we expect, we may be ready for the rough schedule.

Totally agree and would only add that JT should be significantly better next year. Making proper, split second decisions is key for this offense and qb's really improve with experience. I grew up in Savannah and Gary Lanier ran the option for years in the Catholic school system. From an athletic standpoint, he was not D1 material but he was a wizard running the option (some of you no doubt remember him running the wishbone at Tech during the Pepper Rogers period) and led Tech to a number of victories. If JT can approach his competency with the option, it will be a joy to watch and a nightmare for the competition. As only a RS soph, JT is already pretty impressive, the future is bright.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts:

I could never understand why some were worried about Gotsis leaving early. What did you think we had in him? I like him and I think he is a huge help, but he is far from All ACC. What were you seeing? He is a good player and he is growing, but there are a lot of DTs out there who dominate, who will end up in the NFL. Don't get me wrong. I like him and I am glad he is ours, but lets be real about him being the upper echelon of college DT talent that is required to leave early.

Worrying about next year's offense? Why? Smelter is a guy who will be really hard to replace. We got lucky with him. However, the better the offense is run in the ground game, the less dominant the WRs will need to be. We will be fine. Waller is having his best year, but he is just getting to the point that he is an asset. We will be fine here with the guys we have in the program now and coming in next year.

At OL, we are developing very well. Have any of you really watched Devine play closely? He is coming along fine. In some aspects, like getting low enough on scoop blocks, or releasing deep into the second level, he struggles a little. But man, he blows people up right in front of him and pass protects really well. We will be fine at OG. I will miss Shaq, but even he knows GT will be left in good hands at OG after his departure. The rest are back and we are getting deeper.

In terms of running backs, I love them all, but do we have any irreplaceable difference makers in the bunch? They are all good guys but they are serviceable non-descript type of players. They are system guys who are unselfish team players who have learned to block. Laskey, Zenon, Days, and Perkins will all go pro in something other than sports, like me, and God bless them for their contributions. However, finding guys to fill the shoes will be more about attitude and unselfishness rather than absolute talent.

We are good on offense because of the system, the chemistry, and the one catalyst at QB who will be back for years. The offense will be good in 2015. Write it down.

On defense, I am far less convinced. We can talk all we want about JHD and KW being the elixir, but until we see it happen, there is a pretty big deficit there that needs to be made up for. If you need something to worry about in order to feel whole, worry about that.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts:

On defense, I am far less convinced. We can talk all we want about JHD and KW being the elixir, but until we see it happen, there is a pretty big deficit there that needs to be made up for. If you need something to worry about in order to feel whole, worry about that.

Agree. Your hear people talk about how our DT recruits are going to waltz in and make a huge difference. One of them might play and I doubt he starts. Trenches between HS and college is huge and takes the most time.

We really have to hope Whitehead & Simmons develop physically and JHD is the real deal. Also Kallon becomes a decent DT to go with Gotsis.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Your hear people talk about how our DT recruits are going to waltz in and make a huge difference. One of them might play and I doubt he starts. Trenches between HS and college is huge and takes the most time.

We really have to hope Whitehead & Simmons develop physically and JHD is the real deal. Also Kallon becomes a decent DT to go with Gotsis.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I always get a kick when someone says "when recruit X and recruit Y come in next year, position group A is going to be deep!". It's very rare we get a Calvin Johnson, Morgan Burnett, Derrick Morgan type recruit...Day 1 recruit who contribute at an impact level from the time they step on campus. It's even more rare at GT. OL and DL are the toughest to project to this level, so it's more likely the DL we recruit this year redshirt than play in 2015.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can I hope that a year in the weight room and a year on the team may turn some of this years playing freshman into better players? Add in 1 or 2 freshman who can contribute along with JHD and KW and we may improve. We don't have to be #1... just somewhere below #40.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

At least one will have to play....maybe two.

I don't think anyone expects them to walk in and make a difference...If so that is unrealistic.

The main thing is they give us emergency depth and future potential...