I will be seriously PO'd

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Will committed Early , because he believes what GT " sells " Use football to get a World Class education , don't let football use you " . Bottom line , Will can go to the NFL as easy at GT as any other college . NFL scouts are pretty good . They dont give a crap about bull**** star ratings in highschool . If he s one of the 97 percent that do not go " Pro" , he will have a degree than No one can question . Not rec sports mgt , communication or early childhood development ... Like GT or hate GT ( I used to HATE GT ) you have to respect that GT has REAL Student Athletes . We and I am using the word We , because no way in hell was one of my Sons going to be a Jacket ... Were Sold when we met the players and coaches . Facilities , everyone has them ... Weights are weights etc ... I believe there are enough players out there that want a World class education and get to play at the Highest level . GT has a Class coaching staff . Coach Johnson is a straight shooter . I love his level of commitment . People who want change , have their head in 1980 ' sand . The Majority of today's players are dumb as bricks ... Public education sucks ... Our recruiting staff just got increased to 4 . Factories have 17 plus . Can GT win the ACC , I believe so , or we would not be here . We believe it's the best of both worlds . That coming from a UGA letterman , who wants both his Son's to have a Great future . So if you want to replace a man of character and a great coach , your not in my corner . I say give the Man what he wants and needs to get to the next level . $ $ $. It takes it to fund recruiting to find 85 that give a crap about education .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
IF GT had a MJR that did not require upper level Math and Science classes , there would be a TON of players wanting to come to GT . A young man , when asked why he does not pick GT is not going to say because I don't want to go to class ... Even GT's classes that are not Math classes are math weighted . Face it if you don't like Math , your not coming to GT .
Thanks for confirming something I've been saying ad nauseum for years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So outside of a watered down version of calculus and a science requirement of some sort, what's not manageable about the non-engineering majors many of SA's are pursuing?

If a kid goes in to engineering, computer science, etc. as an SA, they know it's going to be hard and I knew football players that got through just fine. Far more than fine, actually.

Alternatively, for SA's majoring in MGT, INTA, LMC, HTS, etc., there may still be math, but significantly less, as well as an amazing support system to help along the way. Not only that, but these degrees all have significant value for those not becoming professional athletes.

Fans want to complain about getting exceptions in, ok fine, although that's been mitigated in recent years. Reality remains that, while we may not have quantity of "easier" majors some schools have, we have some good ones that are very manageable for any student willing to put in some level of work. For that matter, some don't even require that much work.

Back to the original topic, I expect ups & downs, but keep winning and putting us in bowl games, contending for the ACC Coastal & ACC titles, I'm fine with CPJ. I actually like the offense when we can execute well, as we've done this year. The defense has underperformed, but how much is that due to youth & attrition? I'd like to see CPJ stay and see what CTR can do with another year of these youngs kids in the program and the additional DL depth we've got arriving.
You are confused between "not hard" using GT standards and "not hard" using all of college football's standards. We won't get equivalent players (look, a math term) w/o having the "not hard" majors compared to all of college football.

GT_Inta-neer

Georgia Tech Fan
Two points-
First the small number of majors at GT is not going to change. This is not up to the school, it is the decision of the State Board of Regents. The Regents are all ugag homers and will not allow GT to gain any advantage. This is why ugag is now allowed to offer engineering majors, but I don't think that GT has had a new major in many years. Also, as an GT grad with an INTA major I can tell you I had to take a year of math that was pretty much a survey of calculus and both intro to computer programing classes that GT uses to weed out poor students. Along with a few statistics classes and a foreign language requirement, INTA turns out to be not that easy. That is why there aren't many INTA majors among the student athletes.

Point two- CPJ should be offered an extension, but there should be a buyout clause added that makes it less expensive if a change should need to be made. If CPJ refuses to except the altered buyout clause maybe only offer one year extensions. It could be he decides to walk away or just lets his contract run out and looks for another job, but I think that a new buyout clause that would be agreeable to everybody could be worked out. That way our recruiting is not hurt anymore by having a coach in a lame duck situation and if the team tanks a change can be made for less money.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
My gosh, is it possible to recruit - star rated players?

Seriously, then it is up to him to get the job done on the field now. He installed his system - he signed the kids we have on ship now - he hired the assistant coaches. And he is in the 7th year of seasons not having necessarily the toughest competition.
And he is currently running the best offense in the nation. Just gotta shore up defensive play. We will be even more dangerous on offense next year with a more experienced JT and hopefully Leggett will be a beast too. We are a few great defensive players away from greatness

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you're saying. But GT is also a great environment for kids from diverse backgrounds to come and grow on and off the field. I'll give you two examples of kids that were from opposite ends of the social spectrum that came to GT and thrived: Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson.

Calvin came from a family that highly valued education, and GT's academic reputation ultimately was the difference in his recruitment. It's not hard to say Calvin was once in a generation talent that could have gone anywhere he wanted. He came here, worked hard, and through hard work and natural talent became the #2 player selected in the draft. He's now widely considered the top WR in the game.

Demaryius's upbringing was not ideal to say the least. His mother and grandmother, who he lived with in a rundown house in South GA, were both incarcerated when he was just a young boy for selling drugs. I still think they are in prison right now. Luckily, he had an aunt and uncle who cared enough to take him in and steer him in the right direction. DT was a decently recruited player, but definitely not on the level of CJ. DT came to GT, ended up playing in an offense he didn't sign up for, stayed the course, worked his *** off, and ended up being the 1st WR taken the draft. He's now considered one of the top 5 WRs in the game...and through it all he's remained humble and let his play on the field do the talking (unlike a lot of the "diva" WRs in the game).

If I'm GT, I go to those kids from broken homes and I put DT's time at GT up on the big screen and show them how going to GT can change their life on and off the field. In all seriousness, what can you NOT do if you go to GT? You can be a pro athlete (examples are plenty in every sport), you can be an investment banker (Will Jackson), you can be one of the biggest real estate developers in the country (John Dewberry), you can be a media personality (John Salley, Jon Barry), you can be a lawyer (Sean Bedford)...I could go on and on in every profession.

I just think it's the staff's job to get that across to SAs they are recruiting. I like to say to people "4 years of hard work is worth realizing your life dreams" (see above). Plus you get to spend your time in one of the best and most well connected cities with well connected alumni in powerful positions. You can have a A LOT of fun in Atlanta with A LOT of really cool and influential people if you choose to. Kids who can see the value hard work and opportunity will be drawn to GT if we sell them "the dream". Maybe it's my gold colored glasses talking, but I do not see a reason why GT can't bring in a top 20-30 recruiting class every year given everything about GT and what GT can do for any person.

Techster,
great comment
I really wonder WHAT IS SAID about the examples BESIDES pro fball--there are dozens of fball players in normal but classy jobs out there I'm sure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will committed Early , because he believes what GT " sells " Use football to get a World Class education , don't let football use you " . Bottom line , Will can go to the NFL as easy at GT as any other college . NFL scouts are pretty good . They dont give a crap about bull**** star ratings in highschool . If he s one of the 97 percent that do not go " Pro" , he will have a degree than No one can question . Not rec sports mgt , communication or early childhood development ... Like GT or hate GT ( I used to HATE GT ) you have to respect that GT has REAL Student Athletes . We and I am using the word We , because no way in hell was one of my Sons going to be a Jacket ... Were Sold when we met the players and coaches . Facilities , everyone has them ... Weights are weights etc ... I believe there are enough players out there that want a World class education and get to play at the Highest level . GT has a Class coaching staff . Coach Johnson is a straight shooter . I love his level of commitment . People who want change , have their head in 1980 ' sand . The Majority of today's players are dumb as bricks ... Public education sucks ... Our recruiting staff just got increased to 4 . Factories have 17 plus . Can GT win the ACC , I believe so , or we would not be here . We believe it's the best of both worlds . That coming from a UGA letterman , who wants both his Son's to have a Great future . So if you want to replace a man of character and a great coach , your not in my corner . I say give the Man what he wants and needs to get to the next level . $ $ $. It takes it to fund recruiting to find 85 that give a crap about education .

Flea, thank you for posting.

I'm relieved that we are going to another bowl which I think cements some type of extension for CPJ, probably before the bowl game.

thwgjacket

Two things to consider if we were to fire CPJ. 1) We have the potential to have a great QB in the next couple of years, if we fire CPJ then JT gets moved to another position and we lose the opportunity to have him be great in this offense. 2) His record here and in the ACC have been good enough to get him hired at another ACC school. Some people probably think there's no way that is happening but I could see a school like Syracuse or Pitt hiring him. Hell, the most likely destination would be UNC. He's from North Carolina and FWIW he was a finalist there before he came to Tech.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Two things to consider if we were to fire CPJ. 1) We have the potential to have a great QB in the next couple of years, if we fire CPJ then JT gets moved to another position and we lose the opportunity to have him be great in this offense. 2) His record here and in the ACC have been good enough to get him hired at another ACC school. Some people probably think there's no way that is happening but I could see a school like Syracuse or Pitt hiring him. Hell, the most likely destination would be UNC. He's from North Carolina and FWIW he was a finalist there before he came to Tech.
I'm sorry, but that's just a 100% incorrect statement. IF we were to fire CPJ, the new coach would likely be implementing a true spread offense, since that's the prevalent offense of the day.

In that situation, Justin Thomas would absolutely be running the QB position. And I also disagree with you about Paul going to another ACC school if he were fired here.

thwgjacket

I'm sorry, but that's just a 100% incorrect statement. IF we were to fire CPJ, the new coach would likely be implementing a true spread offense, since that's the prevalent offense of the day.

In that situation, Justin Thomas would absolutely be running the QB position. And I also disagree with you about Paul going to another ACC school if he were fired here.
Well the majority of the this thread has run along the line of fans wanting to fire CPJ to run a "pro-style offense." I was responding to that. If you think Syracuse, Pitt and UNC wouldn't love a coach right now who has proven he can win consistently in the ACC then we'll just have to disagree.
How can you call a statement responding to a hypothetical scenario "100% incorrect"? Doesn't make sense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To me, what you're saying is the essence of recruiting. Recruiting = sales...plain and simple. How are you pitching the product? If the product is the same (product being GT), then wouldn't the outcome of "the pitch" be the same for everyone? No...because recruiting is an art and a skill. Some recruit better than others. Giff Smith, Andy McCollum, Ted Roof...all were/are considered very good recruiters. Coach Sewak is not considered a good recruiter. Why can one coach have more success pitching GT and another coach not do as well if the end product is the same...the end product being GT and all that encompasses being a GT SA (high barrier to entry/or high entry requirements, rigorous classes, low coed ratio, etc)? Is it just a coincidence that GT is doing better this year (Ranked #19 by Rivals) now that some of our better recruiters (Roof, Pelton) have had a year to get their feet under them, and that our athletic department is investing in more recruiting resources for the staff?

As others who have intimate knowledge of the SA requirements have said, GT is harder than the average state factory, but there are degrees at GT that are worthwhile for SAs and at the same time very manageable because of the resources at the disposal of those SAs. Like I said in my OP, GT isn't for everyone, but there are MORE than enough high achieving SAs out there who can, and more importantly will, do the work at GT to make us a top level football program. It's been done before, and it can be done again.
I think part of effective sales is correctly targeting your pitch. Not everyone is receptive to what your are saying. You have to find those individuals who are most likely to heed what truths you have to feed them. I think our staff has made leaps and bounds in this area with a few notable exceptions. (“Everything is fine,” he said. http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014...ch-football-signee-and-prep-school-part-ways/)

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
PJ would whip our asses and win the ACC next year with UNC's talent. I'm quite confident he'll still be at Georgia Tech, though, and for that I'm thankful.
Why do I get the feeling that ESPN would start giving CPJ's option respect if he were at UNC instead?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
How can you call a statement responding to a hypothetical scenario "100% incorrect"? Doesn't make sense.
You're right. I probably should have said 99% incorrect. I'm fairly confident that if you asked 100 coaches who their QB would be if they were to become the head coach of GT after this season, the vast majority of them would say it's going to be Justin Thomas. And that's regardless of the system they would run.

Justin was deemed to small by many out of high school to be a D1 QB, but recruiting out of HS is a very inexact science. You're comparing the body of work of one kid who plays in a large division in Alabama to other times a kid who plays in a small 1A school in south Georgia. It's not like baseball where you have travel ball or basketball where you have AAU and you get to see these kids compete against each other. But once you see a kid play in college like Justin has done, I don't know that any college coach would tell him he can't play the position. He's clearly proven that he can.

thwgjacket

You're right. I probably should have said 99% incorrect. I'm fairly confident that if you asked 100 coaches who their QB would be if they were to become the head coach of GT after this season, the vast majority of them would say it's going to be Justin Thomas. And that's regardless of the system they would run.

Justin was deemed to small by many out of high school to be a D1 QB, but recruiting out of HS is a very inexact science. You're comparing the body of work of one kid who plays in a large division in Alabama to other times a kid who plays in a small 1A school in south Georgia. It's not like baseball where you have travel ball or basketball where you have AAU and you get to see these kids compete against each other. But once you see a kid play in college like Justin has done, I don't know that any college coach would tell him he can't play the position. He's clearly proven that he can.
As a retort I'll remind you of the Jason Foster scenario at Southern when Van Gorder came in for his one craptastic year there. Smaller school but same situation and Foster, a dynamic QB and Walter Peyton Award winner the year after, was moved to RB. He won the WPA after he was moved back to QB by the next guy. If we get a coach who runs a "pro-style" offense then Thomas will be moved to RB or DB and we will have a transfer playing QB.

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
As a retort I'll remind you of the Jason Foster scenario at Southern when Van Gorder came in for his one craptastic year there. Smaller school but same situation and Foster, a dynamic QB and Walter Peyton Award winner the year after, was moved to RB. He won the WPA after he was moved back to QB by the next guy. If we get a coach who runs a "pro-style" offense then Thomas will be moved to RB or DB and we will have a transfer playing QB.
i was thinking about the same scenario. Not every coach wants to run the spread or some version of it. I kind of like what we have. Let's just get the defense fixed and see what happens.