I will be seriously PO'd

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
... If we fire Paul Johnson after this season. The situation at UNC makes even more clear the distinction between schools like that and Tech. We do it the right way. Our SA's are actually students.

And don't take for granted that we're also good. Defensive issues notwithstanding, we're a dangerous team, putting up lots of points. It's fun to watch us play. WE DONT SUCK.

So if we fire PJ because some idiot fans think he doesn't pass enough, or because we aren't contending for the ACC every year, I will be seriously pissed.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The way I look at it is what can we dramatically improve by replacing him? We have players and depth to run the offense. Hell we are #1 offensively in the country at the moment. Special teams look ok. Defense is an issue, but we have one the lowest paid defensive coordinators in the ACC, and one of the youngest defenses in the ACC. Recruiting is improving, but we are never going to be able to keep pace with UGAg in recruiting due to the academics required at Tech. I just do not realistically see how a coaching change could make Tech a perennial powerhouse like Bama.

I have said this before, but for any coach (regardless of who it is) to make Tech even close to being relevant in the national picture, it will take him 10+ years to do it.

I bet VT, Miami, and Clemson would like to have our offensive stats at the moment.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Bad part is if we don't extend his contract after this year it will start to have a impact on recruiting.

My gosh, is it possible to recruit - star rated players?

Seriously, then it is up to him to get the job done on the field now. He installed his system - he signed the kids we have on ship now - he hired the assistant coaches. And he is in the 7th year of seasons not having necessarily the toughest competition.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All I know is that GT's problems aren't with the coaching.

It's the Jimmies and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os, my friends. I love our players, but you cannot require the academic loads that GT does, and recruit the level of student we do, and expect to compete at any higher level. Dave Braine told you so 15 years ago.

Stop pestering coaches about something they cannot change.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
All I know is that GT's problems aren't with the coaching.

It's the Jimmies and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os, my friends. I love our players, but you cannot require the academic loads that GT does, and recruit the level of student we do, and expect to compete at any higher level. Dave Braine told you so 15 years ago.

Stop pestering coaches about something they cannot change.

Beating in the same drum with you. No degrees offered w/o math much less calculus puts GT in a recruiting bind.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have had conversations with fellow Tech "fans" that just want him fired just because they claim we run a "high school" offense. Arguing with them is pointless. We could put up 600 yards per game, every game, and they would still want to see him gone just for the sake of running a pro-style offense again. They don't even claim that the pro-style would result in more wins and, in fact, conceeded that our W-L record may even be worse. It boggles the mind...

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
IF GT had a MJR that did not require upper level Math and Science classes , there would be a TON of players wanting to come to GT . A young man , when asked why he does not pick GT is not going to say because I don't want to go to class ... Even GT's classes that are not Math classes are math weighted . Face it if you don't like Math , your not coming to GT .

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For about the umpteenth time:

We went out and got the best coach who was used to recruiting in a Tech-like environment and could work with the players we could get into school. That worked out pretty well.

He has just gotten the school to trust his judgment on recruiting and allow him some leeway he didn't have for the first 5 years. The results of that have been good also.

Just how long does anyone think it would be before a new coach would be a) as successful and b) able to build enough trust to get the administration to allow him to recruit the players we need? I have an answer for you: a decade, at least.

I suffered through some real, real bad football at Tech. I'm enjoying seeing a competitive program on the field and going to bowls regularly. I'm not willing to give that up and, as a consequence, I'll be real, real upset if anyone pulls the trigger on Coach anytime soon.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
... If we fire Paul Johnson after this season. The situation at UNC makes even more clear the distinction between schools like that and Tech. We do it the right way. Our SA's are actually students.

And don't take for granted that we're also good. Defensive issues notwithstanding, we're a dangerous team, putting up lots of points. It's fun to watch us play. WE DONT SUCK.

So if we fire PJ because some idiot fans think he doesn't pass enough, or because we aren't contending for the ACC every year, I will be seriously pissed.

How can you say TODAY that you'd be upset if we fired him at the end of the season? If for some crazy reason we lose the rest of our games then you'd not want him fired??

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have had conversations with fellow Tech "fans" that just want him fired just because they claim we run a "high school" offense. Arguing with them is pointless. We could put up 600 yards per game, every game, and they would still want to see him gone just for the sake of running a pro-style offense again. They don't even claim that the pro-style would result in more wins and, in fact, conceeded that our W-L record may even be worse. It boggles the mind...
I am pretty convinced that many fans would rather us go 2-10 with a pro style offense then win 7 to 8 games with CPJs offense. Some have even said it. I can't figure out if they actually hate it that much themselves or if they are really thin skinned and the constant berating by the media and rival fans just gets to them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So outside of a watered down version of calculus and a science requirement of some sort, what's not manageable about the non-engineering majors many of SA's are pursuing?

If a kid goes in to engineering, computer science, etc. as an SA, they know it's going to be hard and I knew football players that got through just fine. Far more than fine, actually.

Alternatively, for SA's majoring in MGT, INTA, LMC, HTS, etc., there may still be math, but significantly less, as well as an amazing support system to help along the way. Not only that, but these degrees all have significant value for those not becoming professional athletes.

Fans want to complain about getting exceptions in, ok fine, although that's been mitigated in recent years. Reality remains that, while we may not have quantity of "easier" majors some schools have, we have some good ones that are very manageable for any student willing to put in some level of work. For that matter, some don't even require that much work.

Back to the original topic, I expect ups & downs, but keep winning and putting us in bowl games, contending for the ACC Coastal & ACC titles, I'm fine with CPJ. I actually like the offense when we can execute well, as we've done this year. The defense has underperformed, but how much is that due to youth & attrition? I'd like to see CPJ stay and see what CTR can do with another year of these youngs kids in the program and the additional DL depth we've got arriving.

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Fwiw, I talked to someone I trust and I feel that CPJ is safe.

A far turn from what I heard last year.
That is good news. If we could just get the defense to be somewhat decent and JT around for 2 more years that would be pretty exciting.