I will be seriously PO'd

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Which MJR does not require much work ? I know GT Ecom is heavely weighted to upper level math , UGA not so much ... So what MGR does Will go after , so he can practice and party for 4 years ? We have not found that one yet. I would not be shocked if he had to write papers explaining math formulas in English class ... There is No easy path , not compaired to 98 % of the other schools. Kinda sad that Academics is used against GT in the recruiting game . That's the catch , GT has to find players that actually want to get a education and play football. Most do not ... Think Todd Gurley is paying attention in class , w his headphones on and his hoodie pulled down over his face ?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I would not be shocked if he had to write papers explaining math formulas in English class ...
Now THAT would be a great class. No more writing about fee-fees and flowers. Give me a well written paper that explains the beauty of Euler's formula, yet explains the concepts so well that a 12 year old could understand it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not only PJ, I think we need to hold onto Roof and his staff as well. They seem to be recruiting well and regardless of what happens this year I’d like to see what they can do in a few years with they’re guys. I honestly think we’re about 2 years out but with CPJ’s offense, we can always surprise some teams.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Which MJR does not require much work ? I know GT Ecom is heavely weighted to upper level math , UGA not so much ... So what MGR does Will go after , so he can practice and party for 4 years ? We have not found that one yet. I would not be shocked if he had to write papers explaining math formulas in English class ... There is No easy path , not compaired to 98 % of the other schools. Kinda sad that Academics is used against GT in the recruiting game . That's the catch , GT has to find players that actually want to get a education and play football. Most do not ... Think Todd Gurley is paying attention in class , w his headphones on and his hoodie pulled down over his face ?

Tech puts up academic obstacles...on purpose. They give you sketchy instructions. You are not led around by the nose but are left to your own initiative to find your way. You must pay attention, play the game, work through the obstacles, figure out things on your own, and go to class and do your work. Once you learn to do this you will succeed. If not you will be a dropout statistic. Its a difficult place, intent on preparing you for life.
SAs must put in the work and learn to play the academic game. The challenge is to find the recruits with the right mindset to understand, appreciate, and be willing to work for the long term benefits of a Tech Degree. Its not easy. Its like everything else, you get (reward) what you pay for (work). I appreciate a parent who understands this and guides his children in this direction.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is hard to take issue with the offensive results since he has been here. In fact, I would say that his tenure has been the most prolific 7 consecutive years of offense in GT football history. We do need to get defense straightened out, though. We just have to. I think he can and will do it. Some may take issue with that statement, but it is what I believe.

I am going to admit something else. The closer I have gotten to the program, since moving back to ATL, the more I have grown to like the guy personally. I have only spoken with him for 10 seconds and shook his hand, but I have watched him pretty closely interacting with other people, including kids. I could care less how the media wants to portray the guy, because all they want to do is crucify anybody who doesn't support their agenda. CPJ is a caring and genuine person. There is nothing fake about him and I love that. I would play for him in a heartbeat, no hesitation at all.

I agree with Eric though, this is the year some kind of decision needs to be made.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as the academic piece and recruiting is concerned. I don't buy any of that as an excuse. We are who we are, an athletic program full of real students. Does it mean we need to do things a little differently than some other programs? Of course. So, let's do things a little differently. I don't care if it is harder. Just do it and get it done. Spend more money, look a little harder. The right kids are out there, you just can't be lazy or cheap and find them. If GT will commit the resources, we will find the right kids under CPJ. I firmly believe there are a lot of kids who would love GT and be good fits, who just don't know they would love it, because they haven't thought about it. We need to get the message to them even though they may not be close by.

I look at our academics as a strength, not a weakness. The pool may be smaller, but good kids want to come here, kids you can be proud of when they leave. More importantly, we all know they benefitted in the long run for having been here. We don't use people and spit them out, we prepare kids for life and leadership. We send them out into the world way way more capable than when they got here. Special Ed Conference schools can't say that.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I never bet against never or "worse" because things can always unravel. Tech could get blown out in every game left and have total locker room chaos and dissension, a slew of arrests, coaches on motorcycles with blondes they aren't married to . . . I can always imagine scenarios where someone may need to be fired.

It isn't all that likely to go down this way but any decisions about contract extensions or hiring/firing this season should really just wait until the end of the regular season at the earliest.

But @flea77 is bringing the truth to this thread. Management and leadership decisions at Tech are unique because of how unique the Institute is in comparison to all other D1 programs. You can be a student athlete out of high school that values an education and seeks that out as their primary criteria and still not want a bachelor of science degree. I certainly had zero interest in attending Tech despite having grown up a fan of its teams (father is a graduate). Not that I was a high school athlete but I wanted humanities degrees, B.A.'s, all the way.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I never bet against never or "worse" because things can always unravel. Tech could get blown out in every game left and have total locker room chaos and dissension, a slew of arrests, coaches on motorcycles with blondes they aren't married to . . . I can always imagine scenarios where someone may need to be fired.
If Lane Kiffin and Bobby Petrino ever procreated I think this would happen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As far as the academic piece and recruiting is concerned. I don't buy any of that as an excuse. We are who we are, an athletic program full of real students. Does it mean we need to do things a little differently than some other programs? Of course. So, let's do things a little differently. I don't care if it is harder. Just do it and get it done. Spend more money, look a little harder. The right kids are out there, you just can't be lazy or cheap and find them. If GT will commit the resources, we will find the right kids under CPJ. I firmly believe there are a lot of kids who would love GT and be good fits, who just don't know they would love it, because they haven't thought about it. We need to get the message to them even though they may not be close by.

I look at our academics as a strength, not a weakness. The pool may be smaller, but good kids want to come here, kids you can be proud of when they leave. More importantly, we all know they benefitted in the long run for having been here. We don't use people and spit them out, we prepare kids for life and leadership. We send them out into the world way way more capable than when they got here. Special Ed Conference schools can't say that.

You've written a LOT of great things on here, Boomer. This post is one of my favorites because it's what I truly believe about GT and recruiting. GT isn't for everyone...that much is pretty easy to understand, but there are a lot of high achieving SAs on and off the field that could do well here. It's up to GT to find them and to close the deal.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
So outside of a watered down version of calculus and a science requirement of some sort, what's not manageable about the non-engineering majors many of SA's are pursuing?

If a kid goes in to engineering, computer science, etc. as an SA, they know it's going to be hard and I knew football players that got through just fine. Far more than fine, actually.

Alternatively, for SA's majoring in MGT, INTA, LMC, HTS, etc., there may still be math, but significantly less, as well as an amazing support system to help along the way. Not only that, but these degrees all have significant value for those not becoming professional athletes.

Fans want to complain about getting exceptions in, ok fine, although that's been mitigated in recent years. Reality remains that, while we may not have quantity of "easier" majors some schools have, we have some good ones that are very manageable for any student willing to put in some level of work. For that matter, some don't even require that much work.

Back to the original topic, I expect ups & downs, but keep winning and putting us in bowl games, contending for the ACC Coastal & ACC titles, I'm fine with CPJ. I actually like the offense when we can execute well, as we've done this year. The defense has underperformed, but how much is that due to youth & attrition? I'd like to see CPJ stay and see what CTR can do with another year of these youngs kids in the program and the additional DL depth we've got arriving.

we have lost at least six players for probable academic reasons in the last 8 mos so your blowing -off the academic concerns are not realistic to me.Admittedly some of those guys maybe should not have been recruited/signed but it is difficult to keep up.I know,I've been there and I wasn't playing fball--er,just playing a bit..

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I am a PJ fan. I just hope he can turn the corner and get some really good D recruits to the flats in the next 2 years. That will make a huge difference, but for this year and definitely next, we will be struggling to get to 7-8 wins with our D.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You've written a LOT of great things on here, Boomer. This post is one of my favorites because it's what I truly believe about GT and recruiting. GT isn't for everyone...that much is pretty easy to understand, but there are a lot of high achieving SAs on and off the field that could do well here. It's up to GT to find them and to close the deal.

I agree, but I will say with our current societal atmosphere of "what will you do for me?", these special young people are harder and harder to find. We must recruit nationally and aggressively to find special young people who want and can handle the rigor of GT and playing "big boy" football. I tutor many young people, and I see just how "dumbed-down" so many of them are. Our grade, middle and high schools are not getting through to them, and a lot of that can be traced to the disintegration of the family unit. Relatively few kids and teens today have the kind of parents and teachers with the very high expectations that are needed. I realize that saying this on this board, most won't understand because if you are a Tech grad or associated with a Tech grad, this is probably not your experience. But, it is what most young people are experiencing. Teachers can teach and try to motivate, but if the kid has no one in their family that really cares about their academics, he/she is likely not to be educated well enough to be ready for a place like GT.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If want a coach who can and will produce a winning program consistently. If that is CPJ fine if not then lets move on. Right now his record isnt too far off of CCG and Chan was ran out of GT. Can we do better than CPJ I believe so and fear of the unknown is a poor excuse for keeping a coach.

As far with recruiting, you have to have passion for it. I will not knock a fan for demanding more.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Strong academics is never an "excuse" it is a point of pride. It is Tech's strength. However, of course it is a challenge in recruiting and continuity of success in athletic programs.

I think coaching stability at Tech is more valuable than other schools because Tech really has to groom/recruit kids from very early on in high school since they have to take the right combinations of courses to even have a chance of applying and qualifying to Tech (or of even being taken as some kind of "exception"). Also, Tech frequently faces Junior Gnonkonde kinds of situations where all the attention and recruiting in the world by Tech coaches cannot overcome high schools and high school systems and coaches who have already failed the students under their charge. Finally, Tech cannot rely on a system of bagmen either like the factories because of the first two points. Even if it just came down to payola for 4-5 star recruits those kids still would have to have been willing to be prepped to get themselves in a position to accept a Tech scholarship offer by having taken the right kind and numbers of high school courses at a high school that also took serious the education of its student-athletes. So many high schools, especially in the south, simply do not do that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but I will say with our current societal atmosphere of "what will you do for me?", these special young people are harder and harder to find. We must recruit nationally and aggressively to find special young people who want and can handle the rigor of GT and playing "big boy" football. I tutor many young people, and I see just how "dumbed-down" so many of them are. Our grade, middle and high schools are not getting through to them, and a lot of that can be traced to the disintegration of the family unit. Relatively few kids and teens today have the kind of parents and teachers with the very high expectations that are needed. I realize that saying this on this board, most won't understand because if you are a Tech grad or associated with a Tech grad, this is probably not your experience. But, it is what most young people are experiencing. Teachers can teach and try to motivate, but if the kid has no one in their family that really cares about their academics, he/she is likely not to be educated well enough to be ready for a place like GT.

I understand what you're saying. But GT is also a great environment for kids from diverse backgrounds to come and grow on and off the field. I'll give you two examples of kids that were from opposite ends of the social spectrum that came to GT and thrived: Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson.

Calvin came from a family that highly valued education, and GT's academic reputation ultimately was the difference in his recruitment. It's not hard to say Calvin was once in a generation talent that could have gone anywhere he wanted. He came here, worked hard, and through hard work and natural talent became the #2 player selected in the draft. He's now widely considered the top WR in the game.

Demaryius's upbringing was not ideal to say the least. His mother and grandmother, who he lived with in a rundown house in South GA, were both incarcerated when he was just a young boy for selling drugs. I still think they are in prison right now. Luckily, he had an aunt and uncle who cared enough to take him in and steer him in the right direction. DT was a decently recruited player, but definitely not on the level of CJ. DT came to GT, ended up playing in an offense he didn't sign up for, stayed the course, worked his *** off, and ended up being the 1st WR taken the draft. He's now considered one of the top 5 WRs in the game...and through it all he's remained humble and let his play on the field do the talking (unlike a lot of the "diva" WRs in the game).

If I'm GT, I go to those kids from broken homes and I put DT's time at GT up on the big screen and show them how going to GT can change their life on and off the field. In all seriousness, what can you NOT do if you go to GT? You can be a pro athlete (examples are plenty in every sport), you can be an investment banker (Will Jackson), you can be one of the biggest real estate developers in the country (John Dewberry), you can be a media personality (John Salley, Jon Barry), you can be a lawyer (Sean Bedford)...I could go on and on in every profession.

I just think it's the staff's job to get that across to SAs they are recruiting. I like to say to people "4 years of hard work is worth realizing your life dreams" (see above). Plus you get to spend your time in one of the best and most well connected cities with well connected alumni in powerful positions. You can have a A LOT of fun in Atlanta with A LOT of really cool and influential people if you choose to. Kids who can see the value hard work and opportunity will be drawn to GT if we sell them "the dream". Maybe it's my gold colored glasses talking, but I do not see a reason why GT can't bring in a top 20-30 recruiting class every year given everything about GT and what GT can do for any person.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you're saying. But GT is also a great environment for kids from diverse backgrounds to come and grow on and off the field. I'll give you two examples of kids that were from opposite ends of the social spectrum that came to GT and thrived: Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson.

Calvin came from a family that highly valued education, and GT's academic reputation ultimately was the difference in his recruitment. It's not hard to say Calvin was once in a generation talent that could have gone anywhere he wanted. He came here, worked hard, and through hard work and natural talent became the #2 player selected in the draft. He's now widely considered the top WR in the game.

Demaryius's upbringing was not ideal to say the least. His mother and grandmother, who he lived with in a rundown house in South GA, were both incarcerated when he was just a young boy for selling drugs. I still think they are in prison right now. Luckily, he had an aunt and uncle who cared enough to take him in and steer him in the right direction. DT was a decently recruited player, but definitely not on the level of CJ. DT came to GT, ended up playing in an offense he didn't sign up for, stayed the course, worked his *** off, and ended up being the 1st WR taken the draft. He's now considered one of the top 5 WRs in the game...and through it all he's remained humble and let his play on the field do the talking (unlike a lot of the "diva" WRs in the game).

If I'm GT, I go to those kids from broken homes and I put DT's time at GT up on the big screen and show them how going to GT can change their life on and off the field. In all seriousness, what can you NOT do if you go to GT? You can be a pro athlete (examples are plenty in every sport), you can be an investment banker (Will Jackson), you can be one of the biggest real estate developers in the country (John Dewberry), you can be a media personality (John Salley, Jon Barry), you can be a lawyer (Sean Bedford)...I could go on and on in every profession.

I just think it's the staff's job to get that across to SAs they are recruiting. I like to say to people "4 years of hard work is worth realizing your life dreams" (see above). Plus you get to spend your time in one of the best and most well connected cities with well connected alumni in powerful positions. You can have a A LOT of fun in Atlanta with A LOT of really cool and influential people if you choose to. Kids who can see the value hard work and opportunity will be drawn to GT if we sell them "the dream". Maybe it's my gold colored glasses talking, but I do not see a reason why GT can't bring in a top 20-30 recruiting class every year given everything about GT and what GT can do for any person.

Great post, Techster. I agree with everything you say, but even with the Tech support staff, it will take a special young person with determination and desire to be successful, but yes, there are those out there, even in difficult home situations.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
we have lost at least six players for probable academic reasons in the last 8 mos so your blowing -off the academic concerns are not realistic to me.Admittedly some of those guys maybe should not have been recruited/signed but it is difficult to keep up.I know,I've been there and I wasn't playing fball--er,just playing a bit..
I've also been there. Was friends with football players. Took classes with athletes. Tutored for some as well.

I'll take back what I said about easy/no work. That was my personal situation in switching from a planned Bio major to GT's Ivan Allen College.

I'm not blowing off the academics, but if you're willing to put in some level of effort, GT has majors & the GTAA has a support system that will help get you to graduation. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I think any expectations to academically achieve at levels above maintaining eligibility falls to the personal ambitions of the student-athlete & their families. It would not be fair of us, as fans, to expect more.

When I was in school, the major of choice among athletes was management, because of the relative ease compared to engineering. I have no idea of the academic inclinations or abilities of our current athletes, not fair for me to speculate, but go peruse their bios. We have many majoring in HTS (flexible to study history or sociology), LMC (flexible to study English, communications, or media), in addition to business administration. Layer on the recently developed Sports, Society, & Technology major and you can see the powerful potential to study some really interesting things, with reasonable difficulty, and getting a degree of value and a good job, potentially in an industry people would fight tooth & nail to get entry in to.

I'll admit that we don't have any classes you can sleep through, although I once passed out drooling during Math for Management I and used to read comic books during Finance I, BUT the majors are in place to allow non-engineering students to avoid the helter skelter lives of engineering & CompSci majors at GT. Student-athletes have the added benefit of a support structure to assist in their studies.

How many of the engineers on this board had friends that were management majors whose weekends started on Thursday night, while you were studying for Remag/Threemag/Dmag?

Meanwhile, this sign of the apocalypse just convinced me we should extend CPJ for a year.

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014.../?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_recruiting_sfp

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
You are not off base that much but I don't think you can reduce recruiting to a sales pitch. Sure, Tech has a great sales pitch it can make and you do a nice job of showing how that pitch can be applied to and sell to a somewhat diverse range of high-school student athletes. I have noticed others on various Tech boards who want to treat or reduce football recruiting to Tech to a matter of sales technique and pitch.

So your belief in your last sentence is easily or logically separable from everything that you placed before it as an argument over what a great sales pitch Tech has to offer.

Recruiting is not simply about which coaching staffs "sales pitch" won the day. There are a multitude of factors involved in a kids decision on where to commit. And Tech faces challenges that no other program faces in terms of what actual courses a recruit took in high school. Besides the fact that to have top recruiting classes based on recruiting pay sites rankings you have to oversign and rely on bagmen. So there are several reasons to not expect top 30 recruiting classes based on (as if it could ever be just based on) "everything about GT and what GT can do for any person."

If you keep the evaluative criteria of top 30 classes separate from your presentation of a Tech sales pitch then I agree with your pride in that pitch.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So outside of a watered down version of calculus and a science requirement ... Reality remains that, while we may not have quantity of "easier" majors some schools have, we have some good ones that are very manageable for any student willing to put in some level of work. TRUE

For that matter, some don't even require that much work. Not so True

...QUOTE]