Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Oh and @RonJohn , if you're into crazy theories w.r.t. why these charges are coming forth despite "no real crime being committed", I heard an NBA guy say he wouldn't be surprised this investigation is Trump's way of gettin' at Lebron. I think that's bull considering (a) Lebron's agency doesn't need to recruit, guys come to them and (2) well, it's just a ridiculous theory overall.

I'm not into crazy conspiracy theories. Also, I understand the investigation started in 2015, so it started before Trump took office.

I just usually try to look at things objectively. I try to look at facts and make conclusions based on the facts and not hype around the situation. I think it drives people who know me crazy sometimes because I don't get mad or excited, just try to judge the facts. In this case, there are a lot of unethical scumbags. They are definitely violating NCAA rules.

However: Paying someone to do something legal isn't illegal. Violating NCAA rules isn't illegal(except in NC and Georgia). Obscuring payments to someone for legal services isn't illegal.(Could be if done for tax evasion, but tax evasion wasn't listed in the indictment.) Conspiring to conduct legal activities isn't illegal.

That is all that Gatto is accused of doing. None of them are illegal. Unethical, yes. Against NCAA rules, yes. Illegal, no.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a longer article on the scheme and it's possible consequences:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...197609261&mc_cid=3577438ba7&mc_eid=3efd616175

This is really, really bad. Penn State was horrendous, Baylor was awful, UNC is unconscionable, but the amateur status of college athletics wasn't at stake as a result. It is now. I don't know what the NCAA will do, but anything less then the Death Penalty will look pretty flabby.

As to Rick Pitino: if Louisville thinks that "unpaid leave" will save them from possible decapitation by the NCAA, they have another think coming. Too bad that there isn't any way to get Bobby Petrino caught up in this. Yet.
Rick cannot be fired for 10 days I believe. This is just the percusor of the firing. He is gone

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gee, I wonder how we lost out on that Sexton kid. Oh, what's this ...

https://www.tidesports.com/kobie-baker-resignation-fbi-investigation/

According to the charges released yesterday by the United States Attorney Office in the Southern District of New York, Michel and Person met with an unidentified “school administrator” who accepted a $5,000 payment and arranged an August meeting with the “father of a highly regarded incoming freshman” from the Atlanta area, along with Michel and a cooperating federal witness listed as CW-1.

An additional $10,000 was allegedly given to Michel at that meeting, and was to be given to the staff member for his “influence” in steering the player.

The Tuscaloosa News learned Wednesday that UA believed Baker to be the “staff member” identified. The player’s father was not identified. Alabama recruited highly-rated freshman Collin Sexton from the Atlanta area last season.

The meeting was recorded on audio and video by the cooperating witness referred to in the FBI sting.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will this make Sexton ineligible next year, or is he clear of any wrongdoing since the cash went to the staffer and not the recruit?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Anyone think this is going to snowball? This could leak over into football if the right person gets arrested and talks. This could be the biggest scandal to ever hit sports.