Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have heard it suggested that the NBA could lower the age that high school players could participate in the developmental league down to 15 or 16. That way kids that have no intention of going to college could get paid and get coached. Something like the baseball farm system model. That way the recruiting for college players would be de-emphasized. The problem is if you skim off a percentage of the premier players from the college ranks, what happens to the $1 billion investment in March Madness? Would college basketball become like college baseball?

Who cares what it does to March Madness? The NCAA and member institutions need to, and have needed to for a long time, decide if they are a business or if they are an organization to maintain equal competition from academic and amateurism misconduct. If they want to be an academic-athletic governing body, then they need to put very low importance on financial gains and concentrate on being a great governing body. If they want to be a business, then athletics needs to be "sponsored" by schools, or become stand alone businesses that have nothing to do with the school.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lol...Cremins had Russell for jerseys. So not likely. Shoes....? Nike? Nothing indicates Cremins was ever dirty.

This isn't how Cremins built Tech imo. He built Tech bball by identifying great players undervalued by major programs. Mark Price...John Salley...Bruce Dalrymple...Duane Ferrell....Tom Hammonds.

He didn't start bringing in the Kenny Andersons, Dennis Scotts, Stephon Marburys until establishing Tech as an ACC power. Does this mean its impossible we aren't squeaky clean? No. But there is little to no smoke indicating any fire.

Now once guys were recruited, on campus, and established pro prospects...were any ever paid to steer to a company or agent? That's a bigger possibility imo but again no evidence indicating it occurred or was known to have occurred by any staff members.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What if this really ends up being about the NCAA. The NCAA, like the NFL, is a "non-profit" TAX EXEMPT organization and I don't think most people really think they should. What if all of this digging around just exposes enough to taking that away or something... taxing those billion dollar "non-profit" tax exempt organizations would bring in a lot more money.

Milwaukee

Banned
What if this really ends up being about the NCAA. The NCAA, like the NFL, is a "non-profit" TAX EXEMPT organization and I don't think most people really think they should. What if all of this digging around just exposes enough to taking that away or something... taxing those billion dollar "non-profit" tax exempt organizations would bring in a lot more money.

If that helps bring back the NCAA series and CollegeHoops 2K then I'm all for it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Reading between the lines, Louisville and a few others are Marquis schools for shoe companies. Does anyone believe this stops with basketball? Can you vacate a Heisman? Seems like this came up with Reggie Bush?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Eugene Talmadge, then governor of Georgia, once counseled his son, Herman, later governor, senator and drunk the whole time. "Hummin" was threatening to sue the AJC for writing bad things about him in the late '40s. "Hummin, don't you never sue no newspaper for libel. They might prove it."

So they might want to put the brakes on threats unless they want to spend hours and hours in depositions ... and everything comes out.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Update to schools involved, looks like the meeting of SEC coaches for today has been cancelled.

A. Schools Already Impacted:
1. Louisville - 'University 6' in report - Pitino and Tom Jurich on administrative leave - Anfernee Simons and Courtney Ramey decommitted
2. Arizona - Emmanuel 'Book' Richardson arrested
3. Auburn - Chuck Person arrested (released from custody) and suspended without pay - EJ Montgomery decommitted
4. Oklahoma St. - Lamont Evans arrested
5. Alabama - staffer Kobie Baker resigns

B. Schools Likely Impacted:
1. Miami - 'University 7' in report, officially announced they are under FBI investigation
2. USC (California) - Tony Bland accused on several counts
3. South Carolina - 'University 2' in report - Lamont Evans again

C. Schools Potentially Involved (not verified):
1. Kansas
2. Illinois
3. Mississippi St.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Eugene Talmadge, then governor of Georgia, once counseled his son, Herman, later governor, senator and drunk the whole time. "Hummin" was threatening to sue the AJC for writing bad things about him in the late '40s. "Hummin, don't you never sue no newspaper for libel. They might prove it."

So they might want to put the brakes on threats unless they want to spend hours and hours in depositions ... and everything comes out.
Ahhhh! Gene Talmadge. One my favorite historical characters. Wild Man of Sugar Creek. Now back to the criminal element in sports. I am shocked!!!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Update to schools involved, looks like the meeting of SEC coaches for today has been cancelled.

1. Louisville - 'University 6' in report - Pitino and Tom Jurich on administrative leave - Anfernee Simons and Courtney Ramey decommitted
3. Auburn - Chuck Person arrested (released from custody) and suspended without pay - EJ Montgomery decommitted

1. Miami - 'University 7' in report, officially announced they are under FBI investigation

1. Kansas
2. Illinois
3. Mississippi St.

Thanks for doing this!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I thought this was hilarious
A54305E3-C4D0-4805-84BF-02C595587A23.jpeg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tricky Ricky? I thought you had said ...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...coach-2-mentioned-in-federal-court-documents/

"Coach-2" is referenced nine times in the document -- including once when Christian Dawkins, a sports agent at the root of parts of this scandal that's touched at least eight programs so far, is quoted as saying he had "spoken with Coach-2 about getting additional money for Player-10's family," and that he'd told Coach-2 he needs "to call Jim Gatto, who's the head of everything" at Adidas.

"Player-10" is Bowen. "Coach-2" is ..... duhtn, duhnt, duhnnnnt ... Tricky Ricky.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It isn't long. With respect to Gatto, it basically has the same questions that I have -- "Who exactly was defrauded?". I still haven't read the coaches' indictments, but it asks what official duties they violated by suggesting to players to use a financial advisor.

From the article: 'Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane University Law School, said it was fair to question whether prosecutors were overreaching in trying “to turn what might be an NCAA violation into a criminal violation.”'

Which is exactly what I have been questioning.

The idea is that the school was defrauded because awarding knowingly ineligible players athletic scholarships deprived the school of offering this limited resource to other students. Now, really, the schools are taking huge damage (e.g. Louisville) as part of the fraud, although perhaps they wouldn't have without the criminal charges. There are some people who were clearly harmed, though. Lots of athletes with their noses clean were deprived of an educational opportunity by awarding scholarships to players who were knowingly ineligible.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

1. Kansas
2. Illinois
3. Mississippi St.

Not surprised ... If someone would have asked me to list the schools that I thought were playing "dirty", my list would have included all the schools on the "A" and "B" list except Arizona and add LSU.