2015 Spring Depth Chart

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes there is, Brown beats him out for the position. Or move Joe to RG as Griffin looks as good as Joe at RT and Joe looks better at RG than Brown or Devine.
Did I mention Will Bryan?

The five best OL will be the starters.
When did Errin Joe look better at RG than Devine? Or is this hypothetical?

I'll be very surprised if Devine's not a starter this year.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Our o-line has to be versatile. CPJ was able to counter defenses and keep their heads swiveling based on Shaq and others being able to smash you straight ahead or pull and steamroll you out in the open. Devine was a beast inside, but he HAS to lose that weight and gain the ability to get out in space at guard for us. Braun and Joe had the ability to move. If he could get his body down to 6-7 325, I think he could do it. Otherwise, he'll put limitations on our blocking schemes.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The five best OL will be the starters. That will be determined in spring and fall practice.
If one of our best returning starters is beat out by someone, that is not just good, it is wonderful.

Someone has to plow....................!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
can't read this whole thread

but also don't be shocked to see Joe move inside and Griffin start as a possibility on OL

Could also have shamire as you point out too and brown is coming on

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our o-line has to be versatile. CPJ was able to counter defenses and keep their heads swiveling based on Shaq and others being able to smash you straight ahead or pull and steamroll you out in the open. Devine was a beast inside, but he HAS to lose that weight and gain the ability to get out in space at guard for us. Braun and Joe had the ability to move. If he could get his body down to 6-7 325, I think he could do it. Otherwise, he'll put limitations on our blocking schemes.
Not to put too fine a point on this, but Shamire's greater issue is his "fitness." I am going to pay less attention to his weight, although that still needed to come down. But, simply his endurance and ability to move will have to get better.

He did get significant PT as the season progressed. You can tell there's something special there. He played mostly in short bursts, although even those lengthened as the season went on. But, he's going to have to want it this off-season. To start, he will have to reach a point where we can count on him staying on the field...not take plays off...and move.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fix one and you fix all three.
I'm not so sure. I don't know how much smaller they'll get Shamire on the scales. He lost a decent amount of weight even from the start of fall practice through the end of the season. But, he's always going to be a large human. If he can carry that weight better, we're better.

Not all of Erin Joe's weight is quality weight. He can move, though, and he doesn't have to come off the field. That's at least where we need Shamire.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure. I don't know how much smaller they'll get Shamire on the scales. He lost a decent amount of weight even from the start of fall practice through the end of the season. But, he's always going to be a large human. If he can carry that weight better, we're better.

Not all of Erin Joe's weight is quality weight. He can move, though, and he doesn't have to come off the field. That's at least where we need Shamire.
I'm pretty sure that if he drops 15 - 30 pounds he'll be lighter on his feet and have more endurance.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that if he drops 15 - 30 pounds he'll be lighter on his feet and have more endurance.
If he has 15-30 more to drop, that would obviously be true. On his frame, I'm just not sure he has that much more weight that's going to come off. That's the kind of thing I would love for you to be right about.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

In the early Fall scrimmage in the heat Joe's lack of endurance was as bad as Devine's. It really showed. However, Joe played and practiced himself into shape by mid year (cooler weather too) and built up major endurance and mobility. It was no small feat that Joe moved up with and slightly passed Griffin in performance. Devine made small strides. Hope this is the year for him.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
In the early Fall scrimmage in the heat Joe's lack of endurance was as bad as Devine's. It really showed. However, Joe played and practiced himself into shape by mid year (cooler weather too) and built up major endurance and mobility. It was no small feat that Joe moved up with and slightly passed Griffin in performance. Devine made small strides. Hope this is the year for him.
Shaq Mason would be another example of what I am talking about. Shaq is no Adonis. He's got a little pudginess covering up his strength. But, he was so fit and had such a motor that he never took a play off. On a much smaller frame (6'1" vs. 6'7"), Shaq and Shamire's builds are not completely dissimilar at this point.

My hope is that Shamire will take his fitness the rest of the way and really show us something this Spring.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Iirc, Griffin had an injury issue that contributed to Joe's emergence.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Iirc, Griffin had an injury issue that contributed to Joe's emergence.

Thanks. Well concealed tid-bit about Griffin being injured. Joe (and Burden and Mason) played lights out in the 3rd Q of the UGA game (ask the two LBs who spent most of the period on their backs).

When has Tech ever had this kind of depth at OL? Not only is deep, but is also talented. Tech has had on many occasions had a very good OL, but today they have several. If Shaq does well at the next level, it will be like Bebe did for our WR's. As long as we keep getting OL like our last three classes continues, we will be putting up big numbers on offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When has Tech ever had this kind of depth at OL? Not only is deep, but is also talented. Tech has had on many occasions had a very good OL, but today they have several. If Shaq does well at the next level, it will be like Bebe did for our WR's. As long as we keep getting OL like our last three classes continues, we will be putting up big numbers on offense.
Last year midway thru the 3rd quarter coach sent in several ol subs and we did not slow down.
Would be awesome to send in an entire ol And not miss a beat. How demoralizing would that be. I know I know. "The coach will have in the very best player on every play that gives us the best chance of winning" . Still it would be awesome

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year midway thru the 3rd quarter coach sent in several ol subs and we did not slow down.
Would be awesome to send in an entire ol And not miss a beat. How demoralizing would that be. I know I know. "The coach will have in the very best player on every play that gives us the best chance of winning" . Still it would be awesome
The guy is a monster, he's going to get a ton of snaps. He may not be a guy that can play every down for the whole game, so we'll see his backup, and if that is Brown I'm going to feel good about the position.