VT Postgame

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
There is not one playmaker on this offense this year. Yes, that includes JT. No one makes a play when this team needs it. Allen ran hard but the fumble and dropped pass on the wheel route overrides the running hard. Joe...no excuse for what he did....period. Snoddy looked like he was afraid to catch the pitch that he fumbled. It takes balls to play a skill position in this offense. Right now we have none.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless PJ is teaching them to fumble every play, drop wide open passes, and get horrible personal foul penalties at the very worst possible time then im not sure how you can pin this one on him. The schemes and preparation on both sides of the ball looked fine. Our players are just head cases right now.

Disagree with some of this. Player selection is a key part of being head coach. I do think Allen should be getting playing time but you cannot keep your home run threat in Marshall on the bench. Fumbling is a risk in this offensive strategy and always will be. We need our home run threats on the field. I done get the not playing of Devine either. Maybe he is till recovering. IMHO he is probably the best lineman we have right now, though I know some will disagree. Joe playing at guard is a failed experiment that needs to end next week.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the play call that hurt was when we were up 14-0 and had a second and one from around our 40. We run a pitch and lose 5 yards and wind up punting. Allen was gashing them on the dive! Pick up the first down and keep the offense in a rhythm. VT goes on to score after a bad punt gave them good field position. This team is so fragile that any type of adversity is like a death sentence to them. That was not very smart IMO on PJ's part. As stinky as the offense looks and is right now, they were in the game until the end. Nothing makes me think we don't at least have a shot to win the next two games. Who knows maybe someone will step up and make a play for this offense and help them win one or both of the next 2 games.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree with some of this. Player selection is a key part of being head coach. I do think Allen should be getting playing time but you cannot keep your home run threat in Marshall on the bench. Fumbling is a risk in this offensive strategy and always will be. We need our home run threats on the field. I done get the not playing of Devine either. Maybe he is till recovering. IMHO he is probably the best lineman we have right now, though I know some will disagree. Joe playing at guard is a failed experiment that needs to end next week.

Allen is more of a BB than Marshall is right now. You think Marshall is going to rip off a TD every time he touches the ball? Not going to happen. Snoddy is a home run threat too. I don't want him on the field much either. Marshall is not a pile mover and goes down too easy. That's not to say he can't be but he looks like a freshman on the football field. Allen's running isn't the problem, maybe his fumbling is and not making a catch when he needed too is but he runs hard and has decent vision.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
-Microcosm of the season.
-We are bad, because it doesn't get more mediocre than VT, and we lost to them. We had about 10 different opportunities to take the game over, and tripped over our own feet.
-Crowd for both teams was good for 2 struggling teams in November. Nosebleed upper North was the only bare spot.
-I'm proud of the D. They fought hard and were given multiple bad situations. Demond had a great game, as did Mitchell. We just don't have the horses up front but they fight like hell.
-couldn't see the penalty on Joe, but what a dagger. We find new ways to lose each week.
-other than the fumble, Allen impressed me. He could be a thumper next year with more reps. The pass should have been caught too, even though JT was off target.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This loss was flat out embarrassing. How does PJ decide who can fumble and who can't? Snoddy gets 2, Allen one and a dropped pass the we trot him back out there.

Why was Devine not playing? Joe was getting whipped almost every play by 92 yet we continued to run it right at him (no or very little midline) and never put our best heads up blocker in the game to do something about it.

Play calling was bad again. We actually run a few screens with great success yet we only run 2/3. 3rd and 12...dive, shank. 3rd and 6...dive, shank. The meerkat thing has to stop too. I hate seeing that. I kept waiting for us to actually get up to the line and snap the ball while their d wasn't ready (one time Stewart was standing all by himself for a good 15 seconds waiving his arms for JT to snap it and throw it to him, but we meerkated to the sideline and gave them time to figure it out.

Lots went wrong tonight and it was the most painful game to watch I've been to in a while. Mitchell continues to get better every week, Demond played a great game and Anree flashed a little bit tonight.

Going forward, play the young guys. P. Davis needs to sit next week and get right for the Dwag game. He's not healthy and it shows. We will need him to stop the run in that game. Next week means nothing. Let Vic and Mitchell play. Rest up the "hurt" guys for the Dwag game. I would almost say let Jordan play next week and rest Justin up for the Dwag game as well. That's the only one that matters at this point.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Allen is more of a BB than Marshall is right now. You think Marshall is going to rip off a TD every time he touches the ball? Not going to happen. Snoddy is a home run threat too. I don't want him on the field much either. Marshall is not a pile mover and goes down too easy. That's not to say he can't be but he looks like a freshman on the football field. Allen's running isn't the problem, maybe his fumbling is and not making a catch when he needed too is but he runs hard and has decent vision.

No I don't think he is going score every time he touches the ball but I would bet on two of the runs where Allen got 7 to 8 he takes it for 20 plus. He has had big plays in every gone where he got significant touches. Why would this game be different? He is good for at least two big plays a game as a now as a freshman. I have never seen him have a negative yardage play either. I don't want to hear anything about the other guys have better ball control after tonight. I will admit Skov is the best blocker of the three at this moment. Experience helps
If Snoddy did not have a cast on, I would be saying he needs more touches too.
These type of players make a difference. VPI just sold out tonight and we had no one to burn them. Their entire defense was within 6 to 7 yards of the line tonight. With a back that can get in the secondary like Marshall can, there would have been some home run plays Like others that have stopped us this year the just came aggressively and move around creating confusion with blocking schemes.
For someone who talked about Allen next year, he is a senior.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure more Marcus Marshall would have made much of a difference. Our 2nd half consisted of the following drives:

1. Decent drive going in VT territory. Fumble.
2. 3 and out. Punt.
3. Decent drive going in VT territory. Fumble.
4. One play. Fumble.
5. False start on 3rd and 1. Followed by dropped wide open pass.
6. Close to field goal range. Idiotic penalty killed us.

Outside of the one three and out drive, I'm not sure how much you can pin any of those on CPJ. Frankly, I'm not sure how he stays sane after all of that.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Foster did a good job mixing it up. They played with 9 in the box, then would have both safeties stacked above the CB the next play.
Of course they blitzed the bejesus out of the A gap, but I thought Foster was LESS aggressive than years past. They seemed to be firing guys into the lanes between the CB and DE.
Nobody respects our passing game, and I can't blame them. Stewart was in press man alone for a lot of the game and we didn't him until the second half.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
No I don't think he is going score every time he touches the ball but I would bet on two of the runs where Allen got 7 to 8 he takes it for 20 plus. He has had big plays in every gone where he got significant touches. Why would this game be different? He is good for at least two big plays a game as a now as a freshman. I have never seen him have a negative yardage play either. I don't want to hear anything about the other guys have better ball control after tonight. I will admit Skov is the best blocker of the three at this moment. Experience helps
If Snoddy did not have a cast on, I would be saying he needs more touches too.
These type of players make a difference. VPI just sold out tonight and we had no one to burn them. Their entire defense was within 6 to 7 yards of the line tonight. With a back that can get in the secondary like Marshall can, there would have been some home run plays Like others that have stopped us this year the just came aggressively and move around creating confusion with blocking schemes.
For someone who talked about Allen next year, he is a senior.

• 1st and 10 at VT 45
    (5:00 - 1st) Marcus Marshall run for no gain to the VTech 45

• 2nd and 10 at VT 45
    (4:25 - 1st) Justin Thomas run for 12 yds to the VTech 33 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at VT 33
    (3:55 - 1st) Justin Thomas run for 4 yds to the VTech 29

• 2nd and 6 at VT 29
    (3:20 - 1st) Isiah Willis run for 9 yds to the VTech 20 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at VT 20
    (2:45 - 1st) Marcus Marshall run for a loss of 1 yard to the VTech 21

• 2nd and 11 at VT 21
    (2:00 - 1st) Justin Thomas run for 5 yds to the VTech 16 for a 1ST down VIRGINIA TECH Penalty, Personal Foul (8 Yards) to the VTech 8 for a 1ST down

• 1st and Goal at VT 8
    (1:20 - 1st) Marcus Marshall run for 4 yds to the VTech 4

• 2nd and 0 at VT 4
    (1:00 - 1st) Clinton Lynch run for 4 yds for a TD, (Harrison Butker KICK)
You should watch the game more.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure more Marcus Marshall would have made much of a difference. Our 2nd half consisted of the following drives:

1. Decent drive going in VT territory. Fumble.
2. 3 and out. Punt.
3. Decent drive going in VT territory. Fumble.
4. One play. Fumble.
5. False start on 3rd and 1. Followed by dropped wide open pass.
6. Close to field goal range. Idiotic penalty killed us.

Outside of the one three and out drive, I'm not sure how much you can pin any of those on CPJ. Frankly, I'm not sure how he stays sane after all of that.
People seem to be making sure the facts don't get in the way of their whining.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
  • 1st and 10 at VT 45
    (5:00 - 1st) Marcus Marshall run for no gain to the VTech 45

• 2nd and 10 at VT 45
    (4:25 - 1st) Justin Thomas run for 12 yds to the VTech 33 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at VT 33
    (3:55 - 1st) Justin Thomas run for 4 yds to the VTech 29

• 2nd and 6 at VT 29
    (3:20 - 1st) Isiah Willis run for 9 yds to the VTech 20 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at VT 20
    (2:45 - 1st) Marcus Marshall run for a loss of 1 yard to the VTech 21

• 2nd and 11 at VT 21
    (2:00 - 1st) Justin Thomas run for 5 yds to the VTech 16 for a 1ST down VIRGINIA TECH Penalty, Personal Foul (8 Yards) to the VTech 8 for a 1ST down

• 1st and Goal at VT 8
    (1:20 - 1st) Marcus Marshall run for 4 yds to the VTech 4

• 2nd and 0 at VT 4
    (1:00 - 1st) Clinton Lynch run for 4 yds for a TD, (Harrison Butker KICK)
You should watch the game more.

Was at the game were you?

Marshall 4 carries for 5 yards
Allen 16 carries for 74 yards

Reverse that ratio and he breaks one or two.

I like Allen always thought he should have gotten more playing time early.
He tweaked his ankle after the first score and it showed. It's has hurt him all year and limited his playing time.
I really don't have issue with Allens fumble, fumbling has always been part of the triple option and always will. It's a high risk high reward offense. We need stop worrying about the risk and make sure the reward occurs. When CPJ had to play Days last year after Laskey got hurt our team got better. He was another who could not hold on to the ball in some people's eyes.

Note my other beef was with Devine not playing. You think Joe played even at a mediocre level tonight?

Last edited:

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
lol...to say he breaks 1 or 2 if he has 16 carries is comical. You don't have any further clue to what he would have done than I do. I could say based on his average in tonight's game that he would have finished with 20 yards on 16 carries. Now that would be a true statement unlike the tales your trying to spin. IMO Allen is our best BB right now. AB's looked bad tonight. Willis played the toughest. Lynch got rocked on the pitch and never turned it up again. Snoddy...well no comment.

Last edited:

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
lol...to say he breaks 1 or 2 if he has 16 carries is comical. You don't have any further clue to what he would have done than I do. I could say based on his average in tonight's game that he would have finished with 20 yards on 16 carries. Now that would be a true statement unlike the tales your trying to spin. IMO Allen is our best BB right now.

Marshall when he gets carries is averaging 7.7 yards per rush for the season.

Allen is averaging 5.0 on admittedly limited chances.

So let's put his typical production on tonight he is way over 100 yards with the carry count Allen had. There is a reason his avg is so high. The long runs.

Glad you like Allen. He has gone through some ups and downs in our program and has stuck with it. He represent us very well. Great kid. IMO
Marshall offers us the best chance to win and Allen should be the first guy off the bench like Laskey and Days last year.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
The truth of the matter is that this group of 5th year seniors have not collectively made a single impact play to win a game this year.. Not one.. The young players are doing their part but I think the older players got complacent or something

Errin Joe.. Just a huge dissappointment. I don't see the reason to bring him back for a sixth season

Brian Chamberlain.. benched from playing so poorly

Snoddy.. Fumbled away two possessions

Milton, White, Smith and Golden... nada, maybe scheme, probably lack of pass rush but they haven't shut down anything all season

Braun.. Solid as best I can tell but it could be because he's had two dumpster fires playing OT for most of the season, he just hasn't looked as bad by comparison

and last and certainly least.. JHD.. built up to be a stud DL during his season of suspension, not only has he not made a single game changing play, he couldn't even care enough to stay out of trouble his senior year.. The absolute biggest dissapointment of them all.. I see no reason to play him in the last two games..

Marcordes... basically needs to be benched for two true freshmen. can't cover, can't tackle in space, can't blitz..

Byerly.. Injured .

Everyone of those guys played better last year ..including JHD who was on the scout team... and stayed out of trouble. How disappointing.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Allen is a R-Jr. He'll be back next year.

And even though it's no excuse, that ball he dropped was the first pass ever thrown to him. Imagine because of situation and ball being underthrown it was high pressure situation. (His only other reception was a forward pitch) However, JT has to throw some of these balls in stride. That's a 50+ yard play if he hits him where he should be. Doubt he drops a ball where he doesn't have to reach behind him and slow down.

Will be interesting to see B-back rotation vs FSU. Always thought Marshall was more of an A-back and until he gets muscle all on him he won't be as effective on plays where there isn't a big hole

Last edited: