Redshirt Report

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
As DCS said, if you play one snap then the redshirt is no more.

Correct. However, it's not unusual for the following to unfold: A second- or third-year player has already used his redshirt year. Third-string material right now, perhaps he'll be a solid back-up in his fourth and/or fifth year -- too bad he won't have a sixth year of eligibility. But hey, gosh darn it, beware the injury bug. If you're lucky, play him a bit against the cupcake opponent(s) you start the season with. In game three, he "suffers" a season-ending hangnail, broken little toe, whatever. Possible grounds for medical hardship waiver for a sixth year of eligibility! No guarantee, of course, but these things happen.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Correct. However, it's not unusual for the following to unfold: A second- or third-year player has already used his redshirt year. Third-string material right now, perhaps he'll be a solid back-up in his fourth and/or fifth year -- too bad he won't have a sixth year of eligibility. But hey, gosh darn it, beware the injury bug. If you're lucky, play him a bit against the cupcake opponent(s) you start the season with. In game three, he "suffers" a season-ending hangnail, broken little toe, whatever. Possible grounds for medical hardship waiver for a sixth year of eligibility! No guarantee, of course, but these things happen.

In my opinion - I'd rather take a chance on one more Freshman in the next recruiting class than keep a career backup for one more year. The guys there are no hope for starting on Off/Def should burn their shirts early, leaving the better players to have a 5th year. That gives us a few extra schollies a year to take a chance on some guys. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell who will have the light turn on in the 3rd or 4th year (for example Marcordes).

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
This part kind of contradicts the first part.

True, but I guess I just disagree with the "Let's redshirt everyone" mentality in general. Redshirting everyone means 17 recruits a year, while playing everyone means 21 recruits a year. Just take a chance and play a few guys to burn some shirts. Gives you a little more wiggle room.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
True, but I guess I just disagree with the "Let's redshirt everyone" mentality in general. Redshirting everyone means 17 recruits a year, while playing everyone means 21 recruits a year. Just take a chance and play a few guys to burn some shirts. Gives you a little more wiggle room.
Nobody is saying that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
My issue with redshirting, and this is just my opinion, but I think when guys are redshirted (in general) they kinda sleep walk through the season. They do not seem to progress like the guys on that see action from year 1 to 2.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
My issue with redshirting, and this is just my opinion, but I think when guys are redshirted (in general) they kinda sleep walk through the season. They do not seem to progress like the guys on that see action from year 1 to 2.
I do believe Winston and Johnny football red shirted. Just two that jumped to mind.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I do believe Winston and Johnny football red shirted. Just two that jumped to mind.

Yeah but not great examples. Winston redshirted for the same reasons we redshirt our guys and the reason why most don't like redshirting. He had two guys in front of him with more experience (EJ Manuel and Clint Trickett) and EJ was a senior. Even tho Jameis may have been and possibly could have led to NC in 2013, thats a difficult situation.

With Manziel, he just had his prayers answered. A coaching change is the reason why able to progress because Coach Sumlin offense was a perfect for him. If not for Sumlin, the legend of Johnny Football may not exist

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

A lot of good players redshirt, but it is just my belief that in general (and especially at the non skill positions) there is not a leap in improvement from year 1 to 2. Improvement comes by seeing the field.