Redshirt Report

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
QB Matthew Jordan - Jordan earned some praise from Coach Johnson early in camp and he continues to impress the staff and Coach Cook as he is getting the third string quarterback snaps during his redshirt year...Coaches feel that he has picked up the offense faster than most of the other Freshman Qb's before him. As always with a young QB in this offense they spend a lot of time focusing on his footwork...He has a good arm and they want him to settle in the pocket and trust his arm...in the Spring he rushed things a bit, as a young Qb will. I feel good about Matthew Jordan and his future in the offense...he has a natural feel for the game and has the toughness needed to play in this offense...To me, he is our next starting quarterback. When the season started Jordan was at 200 pounds...He is now sitting at 208.

RB Clinton Lynch - Lynch has probably been the one that we as fans have heard the least about due to him being hurt early in camp...As expected the strong suit from Lynch has been his ability in the passing game...he plays well in the slot and has good hands. He is still raw and adjusting a bit to being a running back..blocking is area that he has to grow in. Next year I expect him to be someone who gets some snaps in receiving situations and be somewhat similar to the role BJ Bostic plays this year.

RB CJ Leggett - Leggett is the one that people are most excited...once he came back from his injuries he suffered early in Fall camp he showed the ability he really has...he isn't as big as some of our other B Backs but Leggett is explosive. He has more breakaway speed than any of the other B Backs currently on the roster. He moves so well inside for a young kid and has a quickness that always surprises me...he's made some pretty nice acrobatic moves in practice as well. He came into the season at 207...he's up to 210 now. Leggett is still new to the system has to learn where to be on plays, blocking and the small things of the offense...Don't overlook his hands.

OL Jake Stickler - The thing I'm most excited about with Jake is by far his feet. The kid has such quick feet for someone his size. I'm not sure of his current size but he still has plenty of room to add on weight. Has a bright future ahead of him as he would be a very good tackle for us....he has gave the scout team a good look. Stickler is someone I think could see himself in the tackle rotation next year with a good off-season.

OL Jake Whitley - Some of you may remember that I was higher on Whitley than most due to his run blocking...that holds true still. Whitley is a tough kid that whose run blocking is far ahead of his pass blocking...he was a little out of shape when he arrived. The staff has been trimming him down to get the bad weight off so then we can add on good weight.. He's at 285 right now. To me Whitley can play either G or T but I think for now he's going to be a guard...Whitley has good feet and once he gets his body in better shape it will allow him to get to the second level easier.

OL Michael Preddy - As most of you know Preddy suffered a leg injury before arriving to GT. He's out of that now. Preddy is now getting use to be a offensive lineman and learning the system. I would say he's farther away from contributing than the others at this time. Will be a couple of years before he is ready. Preddy sits at 265 currently.

OL Gary Brown - This kid is strong and nasty. A perfect combo for any lineman. I was impressed with the Brown that showed up at Tech and the shape he was in. I have continued to be impressed with what he's done all year. His run blocking is his strength at this time and is working on pass blocking. Only knock coming in was his height but he's taller than I anticipated. He will be fighting for a starting job next year. This is another OL that looks like we really got a steal on.

OL Trey Klock - I am very surprised that we didn't see Klock play this year...IMO if we could do it over they would have played him. He's more polished than most of the other lineman and is to me, the most game ready. Trey has caught on well at Tech and is loving everything about it...Main thing they have worked on with him since arriving is keeping his pads down. Will be a major factor at tackle next year...there was some talk earlier this year about Trey moving over to DT but the coaches feel that he has too much potential at T and that his ceiling is much higher staying at T.

LB Tre Jackson - Tre is another that we haven't heard a lot of as fans...When I asked one of the coaches about him the first thing they praised him for is his work ethic..He shows up everyday ready to get better. Tre is on the scout team this year at ILB and really what you see with Tre is what you get. He is strong as a ox when he hits someone they aren't falling forward for extra yards....Tre knows how to tackle and has good form. Not a guy that goes for ankle tackles...Tre is a bit stiff in the hips and this has been something they are working on, trying to get him more flexible. Tre is a classic throwback ILB..Will be someone who at least plays on special teams next year.

S Jalen Johnson - Jalen tore his ACL and meniscus before his Senior year started in HS...a major injury to come back from. Jalen has been cleared now and is practicing on the scout team as a free safety. When I asked Jalen about his knee recently he said "It's doing a lot better! Im out of the brace but I'm not gonna say its 100% like I want it but it is very close!" ....Jalen has great range and ball skills. I actually think he will be one that surprises people in a couple of years...Jalen is now up to 205 pounds.

ATH Qua Searcy - This is my favorite player from the 2014 class, Qua is going to be a excellent player no matter what position he ends up. He was at WR when the year started and he showed a lot of potential at WR...If it wasn't for us having good depth at WR he would have played this year...During the bye week we moved Qua over to CB to see if he could help this year. He just had too much to learn this year to burn his redshirt. Qua is such a good athlete..Natural with the ball in his hands and has a knack for finding the crease. On defense he always finds himself around the ball and has great hands for a defender. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Qua move to A Back next Spring. Regardless on position...Qua will be on the field in 2015 and a lot.

I expect CJ Leggett, Qua Searcy, Trey Klock, Gary Brown and Jake Stickler to compete for starting jobs or if not at least be in the rotation...Clinton Lynch will likely be another due to need at A Back

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the write up. Just curious, was Jake Whitley left off cause he has played, just an accidental omission or left the team? Thanks.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Eric. Was curious as to what would be said. I do like the fact folks notice Tre' comes to work each day ready to get better. He has also been bustin' his tail in the weight room you know. Squatted three reps of 550 last week to celebrate his 19th birthday. He has also been doing a lot of extra stretching under the trainers' supervision trying to get quicker and able to more agile. While this year is going great, I do have to say I am looking forward to next year as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks. I assume that none of these players are expected to burn their RS after the flurry of talk about CJ?

The elephant in the room on your discussion is lack of DL. I don't see any OL who could flip do you?

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Marshall and Merriweather have both only appeared in two of the first three games, according to ramblinwreck.com participation summary. Does the staff regret pulling their redshirts now?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’m hoping Qua gets moved to AB. We could benefit from having him work there throughout all of spring. He would probably need to put a few pounds on but I think he needs to do that regardless.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Marshall and Merriweather have both only appeared in two of the first three games, according to ramblinwreck.com participation summary. Does the staff regret pulling their redshirts now?

I would think they do on Merriweather, not at all on Marshall.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thanks. I assume that none of these players are expected to burn their RS after the flurry of talk about CJ?

The elephant in the room on your discussion is lack of DL. I don't see any OL who could flip do you?

No more RS will play.

No I do not, incoming freshman like Kyle Henderson will play.