Pitt defense

Animal02

Banned
I also think we match up better with these guys then with Puke or UNC. That thing they have at RB will get his yards if he is on the field long enough, but a Miami-type game will put paid to that.

I agree that the real question is whether Days can be a decent replacement for Laskey. My guess: they'll pull out to stops to shut him down early in the hope of disrupting our O rhythm and making him more hesitant on the dive. That won't work if we continue to get good edge blocking. That, I think, will mean more playing time for Perkins and Hill and, probably, more throwing. Ick.

But that's why we play the games. Hope the breaks - which have been going against us recently - even up against Pitt.

I would rather have the "breaks" go against us than the refs.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we need some breaks like we got in first few games......seems like the break lake has dried up ! Still think our speed vs Pitts size will be the factor...dont seem many eastern teams with speed at linebacker anymore and if you are slow getting to the outside vs us......you are in deep kemchi.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Pitt's game plan will be Duke II. They have the running game to pull it off. It will come down to who has the longest time of possession . If the game is on the line at the end , we will see if our D has learned anything about stepping up and making a play at crunch time.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll take Duke part two with no GT interceptions/fumbles, reasonable ref calls, and better rezone calls. VT and Duke both gave us issues in the red zone and I wonder if Pitt will do the same.

I still think red zone calls would be easier if Byerly were in the game, but I would never pay myself for football advice.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Days has the ability to step in and keep the B-back a threat. He can also fumble us into oblivion. I fear that's the part of Laskey's play we will miss the most.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I'll take Duke part two with no GT interceptions/fumbles, reasonable ref calls, and better rezone calls.
And a healthy JT. He wasn't himself that day and I think the ankle was a big factor. I like our chances any day when he's full speed.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Pitt has a good D and they deserve their ranking. However, you can usually throw out defensive rankings when it comes to playing GT. We are different. There have been a few D's that have slowed us down over the CPJ years, but they haven't always been the great statistical D's against the rest of CFB. The defenses I fear the most in the CPJ era are the ones that are both fast and disciplined. We can option off a certain amount of DL dominance, although not all of it.

If teams can play their assignments, get off blocks, and chase to the sideline, then they have a chance to give us trouble. All three of those elements have to be in place if we are doing our job. Not many defenses are doing all three against the option.

I suspect PITT will be able to get off blocks some, plus they might be decent in following assignments, but the chase part I am not so sure. We will have to work for it, but we are likely to get our points and yards. I look for us to chuck it some effectively this week, plus the well executed option is a great equalizer. We have that now. We might score 40, if we get them off the field on D, but most likely a bit under that.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Not good for our chances. I would rather face a good d and bad o than other. I like our o's chances against anyone.
I don't see the big deal about Pitt's offense. Against legit competition, they aren't exactly blowing the bulbs out of the scoreboard.

Another interesting thing is that Pitt has thrown an INT in six straight games. Hopefully, we can kill a Panther drive or two with an interception or a fumble recovery. Amazingly, we only have one fumble recovery all season - at this rate, we will have two fumble recoveries for the season. We are wayyyyyy overdue to pick up some loose balls.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't see the big deal about Pitt's offense. Against legit competition, they aren't exactly blowing the bulbs out of the scoreboard.

Another interesting thing is that Pitt has thrown an INT in six straight games. Hopefully, we can kill a Panther drive or two with an interception or a fumble recovery. Amazingly, we only have one fumble recovery all season - at this rate, we will have two fumble recoveries for the season. We are wayyyyyy overdue to pick up some loose balls.
There were times when they imposed their will against VT and BC. Those are the only games I saw. They will be a load for us, I am sorry to say. However, take solace in the fact that they run a little less zone read. They run it some, but not nearly as much as DUKE or UNC. It has been a lot of power run game with less deception. Who knows, now that they have seen us flounder against it, maybe they will run zone read all afternoon.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Pitt just lose that big RB that was putting up huge yards in the beginning of the season? Not that the RB was playing defense...but...

Animal02

Banned
I think Pitt has a good D and they deserve their ranking. However, you can usually throw out defensive rankings when it comes to playing GT. We are different. There have been a few D's that have slowed us down over the CPJ years, but they haven't always been the great statistical D's against the rest of CFB. The defenses I fear the most in the CPJ era are the ones that are both fast and disciplined. We can option off a certain amount of DL dominance, although not all of it.

If teams can play their assignments, get off blocks, and chase to the sideline, then they have a chance to give us trouble. All three of those elements have to be in place if we are doing our job. Not many defenses are doing all three against the option.

I suspect PITT will be able to get off blocks some, plus they might be decent in following assignments, but the chase part I am not so sure. We will have to work for it, but we are likely to get our points and yards. I look for us to chuck it some effectively this week, plus the well executed option is a great equalizer. We have that now. We might score 40, if we get them off the field on D, but most likely a bit under that.

We eat them last year with Vad running the O.......Looking forward to seeing what JT does. (Can only imagine what JT would do to a Cuse if they played us like last year.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Pitt's game plan will be Duke II. They have the running game to pull it off. It will come down to who has the longest time of possession . If the game is on the line at the end , we will see if our D has learned anything about stepping up and making a play at crunch time.
I think Pitt will run at us and that should keep clock on their side but dont think they can stop us wide...most of the big east teams like lard rather than speed and it will take linebacker speed to stop us......we should play better and get this one

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree that PITT will stuggle against our O, but I really think we might struggle against their big RB...hopefully not. At least, their QB is not as mobile as the UNC QC was.
Sounds so much like Canes and the Dook.....I just dont think they can stop us.......but can we stop them is my question.If we get to the outside we are okay......on paper they are good defense but not sure they have seen speed like we have.........you never know though !

Confident 10 can physically handle getting the rock 20+ times... he is more than physically capable. The only potential concern will be ball security. Remember that was a concern early when he was QB.

Bet ball security is already being blasted into his head by the coaches... Pitt D doesn't look as fast as some but they are very physical and you can bet they will be testing his ability to hold the ball while fighting for extra yards. I know Zack had a bad fumble against Duke but that cat has been outstanding getting extra yards AND holding the ball. That and his blocking, particularly for JT on follows can be easily overlooked. Zack is a straight hoss.

Overall feel very confident with 10 in there... just wrap those arms around the ball and love it like a small child buddy.
Days does not have the hit-the-hole-burst that Laskey had. I am concerned that where Zach got six, Days will get four. Makes a big difference over the course of the game. Look for more passing, especially (obviously) if we get behind. I expect us to be much more of a "spread" offense than a rushing offense this week. Hoping that we find out we are pretty good at spreading out Pittsburgh's less than dominating defense. Optimally we get a lead, put pressure on Pittsburgh's offense to take risks to match us score for score, and give our defense a chance to get a turnover or two.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Score first and often, force them to pass, come with 5 or 6 man rush, play tighter man / zone coverage, don't turn the ball over.

Follow the above formula against any team and there is a good chance we win.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think JBR is on to something. Laskey is one of our better players. With him out, we will be looking to get the ball in other hands.

In my mind, that means:
1) Justin Thomas
2) Deandre Smelter
3) Charles Perkins
4) Darren Waller
5) Deon Hill
6) Tony Zenon

Pretty much in that order. Days is a good player but his value as a rusher is secondary to his value as a blocker. Look for some designed QB runs: sprint-out plays that are designed to look like passes, QB follows, maybe some QB counters. If Pitt is playing a softer Cover 3, we'll be looking for the Smoke route or a few deep comebacks.

Probably a heavier dose of Rocket Toss than we've been seeing lately.
Totally baseless guess: we'll have Days in on midline option, Connors on triple option, and Leggett (if he plays) will be running straight dives and counters.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Confident 10 can physically handle getting the rock 20+ times... he is more than physically capable. The only potential concern will be ball security. Remember that was a concern early when he was QB.

Bet ball security is already being blasted into his head by the coaches... Pitt D doesn't look as fast as some but they are very physical and you can bet they will be testing his ability to hold the ball while fighting for extra yards. I know Zack had a bad fumble against Duke but that cat has been outstanding getting extra yards AND holding the ball. That and his blocking, particularly for JT on follows can be easily overlooked. Zack is a straight hoss.

Overall feel very confident with 10 in there... just wrap those arms around the ball and love it like a small child buddy.
It's just that he's not really a RB, honestly. Running inside is different than playing a-back, and I just don't see the production. He'll have to play like Laskey did against Miami, and I'm not sure he has that. That's why Legett should get half the time, we're going to need to do it by committee.